Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Priority luggage on arrival in New York from Miami

American Priority luggage on arrival in New York from Miami

Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Sure, let's go with that.

We're trying to explain what priority tags mean. If you want to descend into hyperbole, then you'll still have dirty bags and no support.

​​​​​
Actually for AA, think yourself lucky if your priority bags didn't come out last lol. Dirt is nothing, this certainly looks a little strange but again, its really nothing. If its a hard shell suitcase you wouldnt even notice it
Bretteee and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by corolla; Dec 31, 2021 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:56 pm

I had luggage come out with tire tracks printed on them, clearly it got run over LOL. I think AA gave me some paltry amount as a gesture since clearly that was mistreatment. I've never had anything break or been unusable though.
Bretteee likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I had luggage come out with tire tracks printed on them, clearly it got run over LOL. I think AA gave me some paltry amount as a gesture since clearly that was mistreatment. I've never had anything break or been unusable though.
Did anyone ever watch the Southwest Airlines reality show back around 2005-ish? There was an episode where a woman's wedding gown fell off the luggage cart on the tarmac and then was driven over. When it arrived at baggage claim, it had tire tracks across it!
Bretteee and AAway like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
its dirt. you have your bags, im confused with the "problem" ?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:37 pm
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Priority bags are supposed to be for delivery speed. Now, some places this is respected and acted upon while others, it's simply ignored.
Priority tags aren't meaning that your bag is going to be carried gently with white gloves. It's a suitcase....
In large busy airports, like MIA & NYC, bags are sorted & directed by automated conveyor systems using the bar code until deposited in a baggage cart or ULD
https://www.cassioli.com/airport-div...t-the-airport/
https://www.airport-suppliers.com/supplier/matrex-sas/
https://www.robson.co.uk/industries/airports/
Coloured priority tags do nothing, other than make the bag owner think he/she is special. Its all done by the b&w bar code

The bag is not broken or missing in action(MIA) [not uncommon is some southern airports]
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
On this subject, I simply do not understand buying expensive hold luggage. I see these Louis Vuitton suitcases and just cannot fathom spending that kind of money on something that's going to be chucked around.

I have a nice backpack, but that's because I use it daily and I have 100% control of it's situation at all times.

My current 2 suitcases are one that AA bought for me after destroying one and a Samsonite that I bought at Ross. They're still rocking on 500+ flights later.
dw, enviroian and LovePrunes like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So any reader of this post on the AA board (800+ views so far) can call and offer to come over and clean the bags in return for a modest fee?

Or someone could case the block and wait until you’ve gone out and then they’ll pop over and clean your entire apartment out.

Heck they could even call you and say Sami has had an accident and you need to get to the hospital stat to get you out of the way.

For goodness sake never put a tag on your bag with your name, address and contact details. Put them inside.

And never post them on the internet! I bet you’re the sort of person who answers those quizzes on Facebook that try and get answers to to help them guess your passwords
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'd like to report that a few years ago, I retrieved one of my bags in a condition that strongly suggested that it had been run over by a vehicle of some sort. Some of the items in my kit bag were crushed while others weren't. The internal hook that keeps the items in place (it was a garment bag) were bent with a force far beyond that of a human.

AA reimbursed me to replace the bag.

So for genuine severe damage, they do make good.
dw, Bretteee, KBMIFlyer and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
ZOMG, time to lawyer up. Take them for all theyre worth.
Bretteee and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:16 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by Bretteee
American do not consider this luggage damaged.
Nor should they. The bags are dirty, not damaged.
I now will need to look for a company to attempt to clean them.
I suggest you get in touch with someone called "yourself" to accomplish that 15-minute task.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Sure, let's go with that.

We're trying to explain what priority tags mean. If you want to descend into hyperbole, then you'll still have dirty bags and no support.

Thanks. I understand now that Priority means getting the bags to you faster, though they arrived at the same time as everyone else. I am not a regular flying First or Business so I am not used to pretty red labels on my luggage. I really think Priority means you get priority in having your bag thrown into oil / filth. I am convinced that had we not been enticed to fly First for only $111 more, and had flown economy like I do 99% of the time, this would never have happened. It was not worth it as it will cost $150 to clean each suitcase with no guarantees.

That pretty fancy schmancy red label just made me think the bags would be in good hands.

LOL American are the worst airline of the "major carriers" for handling luggage. I can vouch for that. See below.In order from most mishandled bags to least, here are the results:
  • Envoy Air: 6.21 mishandled bags per 1,000 (Envoy Air is a subsidiary of American Airlines)
  • ExpressJet Airlines: 5.87 mishandled bags per 1,000 (ExpressJet Airlines operates as American Eagle and United Express)
  • SkyWest Airlines: 4.69 mishandled bags per 1,000 (SkyWest Airlines carries United, Delta, Alaska, and American Airlines flights)
  • American Airlines: 4.34 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • United Airlines: 3.15 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • Alaska Airlines: 3.09 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • Southwest Airlines: 2.90 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • Frontier Airlines: 2.77 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • Hawaiian Airlines: 2.58 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • JetBlue Airways: 1.97 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • Delta Air Lines: 1.94 mishandled bags per 1,000
  • Spirit Airlines: 1.84 mishandled bags per 1,000

​​​​​
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:43 am
Original Poster

LOL yes when I went to the American luggage claim office I was told "you flew DELTA." I had to explain no I flew American and showed her the luggage tag.

The reason I used the DELTA luggage address tag is that American's is so tiny one cannot write the address etc on it. DELTA have the best
luggage tags.

Maybe the baggage handler got pissed at seeing the DELTA address label.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Nor should they. The bags are dirty, not damaged.I suggest you get in touch with someone called "yourself" to accomplish that 15-minute task.
I should get in touch with myself? The oil / dirt / filth is actually in parts ingrained deep into the material. Even the professional cleaner told me they may not be able to
clean the bag.

Maybe it's better to fly American with a ROWENA metal suitcase. Maybe Rowena and American should team up and do commercials together.

Last edited by Bretteee; Jan 1, 2022 at 1:00 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
ZOMG, time to lawyer up. Take them for all theyre worth.
When Air Canada lost my suitcase and never found it again they offered me $900 though the maximum allowed at the time was $1,600 and the value of what was lost was over that amount.
Thanks to Small Claims Court I got the maximum.

Now that was a lot worse than filth on the suitcase. Other than that in the past 67 years of air travel I never experienced any problems except delays with about 2 connections.
My sister once accidentally went home with a nuns suitcase and immediately took it back to the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.