Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Million Miler on AA - easier to earn EXP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum

Question for folks after having a conversation with a Delta million miler friend. She’s under the impression that each year you essentially start with your million miler status “banked” already. For example, if you need 50,000 “points” to achieve “Level 1” (all hypothetical), and your million miler status gives you “Level 1” each year, then you’d start at the beginning of each earning year with 50,000 points in your account (not to spend, but for qualifying purposes). If Level 2 required 75,000 miles, then you’d only need to earn 25,000 miles each year to get to Level 2.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case with AA?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:52 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
No US airline does it like this currently. Basically you get Gold status each year, but then you would have to meet the published requirements for a higher status (e.g. 75,000 points in your example).

The new Loyalty Point elite qualifying program has not launched yet, but their marketing material does not say they are changing how lifetime status works with the million miler program from how it has in the past.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
Question for folks after having a conversation with a Delta million miler friend. She’s under the impression that each year you essentially start with your million miler status “banked” already. For example, if you need 50,000 “points” to achieve “Level 1” (all hypothetical), and your million miler status gives you “Level 1” each year, then you’d start at the beginning of each earning year with 50,000 points in your account (not to spend, but for qualifying purposes). If Level 2 required 75,000 miles, then you’d only need to earn 25,000 miles each year to get to Level 2.

AA Million Balance has no impact to earning Elite Status for each year.
If you have over 1MM - then you have AA Gold to start - BUT start at 0 to start qualifying to any higher level.
If you have over 2MM - start at AA Plat - but again start at 0 for earning higher.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
It helps a little, in that if you start from zero, your first earnings from flights will be at 7 points per EQD rather than 5. But that's a rather modest leg up.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Sounds like my friend may not fully understand her benefits on Delta. I don't think I'll be the one to break it to her!
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Thanks folks. Sounds like my friend may not fully understand her benefits on Delta. I don't think I'll be the one to break it to her!
I am a DL Million Miler for many many years. She indeed is misunderstanding how it works. I wish it were so. I may have stayed with DL if it were, but it isn't.
And in passing, I'm so close to 2MM but won't get there except by accident
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Delta also has rollover MQM, and I'm not sure how that works with lifetime status, but it's possible she is starting with silver and what she thinks is the starting bump are from previous years
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I wish 1MM and 2MM started with the Gold or Platinum LPs, respectively, each year. That would be a nice addition to the MM benefits that would really cost nothing in the grand scheme of things. However, I'm not holding my breath.
JMN57 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Delta also has rollover MQM, and I'm not sure how that works with lifetime status, but it's possible she is starting with silver and what she thinks is the starting bump are from previous years
On DL, in a normal (nonCOVID-19) year, if you have status due only to MM and haven't earned even the lowest status tier, you get no rollover: all of your MQMs vanish around NYE.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks - she just earned MM, so she isn't experiencing any rollover related to MM. She's just under the assumption that things will be different than they are. Thanks all for the clarification.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I am a DL Million Miler for many many years. She indeed is misunderstanding how it works. I wish it were so. I may have stayed with DL if it were, but it isn't.
And in passing, I'm so close to 2MM but won't get there except by accident
Its always struck me as odd that it works this way – I became a United MM 10 years ago and realised that the first 50000 miles I flew on United each year were earning me nothing (in terms of status) and so I matched status to AA and have been EXP here ever since. My United Gold is very nice when I have to fly Star Alliance, but that isn't very often. From United's perspective my Lifetime Gold status costs them very little (since I fly so little) but in fact it cost them all my flying.

But then again - I'm not at all sure the bean counters have ever really understood how to make a frequent flyer program into a real loyalty program.
scoonee likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Until next year, level 1 requires 25K....not 50K, but you still had to start at 0 toward the next level to qualify for level 2.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
As other said AA MM means nothing and won't get you any EQM or EQD deposit/advance. It's completely useless for anyone who still actively flies AA during the year.

Same with Marriott Bonvoy LT Platinum. In order to be Titanium I have to stay the full 75 nights or do nothing and just stay Platinum. Considering the marginal benefits I'm doing the latter.

Most programs that have a LT program work this way. It would certainly be nice if there was a nights/points deposit in the amount of the acquired LT status annual qualification requirement and then you just add +X for the next higher status.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
As other said AA MM means nothing and won't get you any EQM or EQD deposit/advance. It's completely useless for anyone who still actively flies AA during the year..
completely disagree
as a lifetime plat, i usually dont fly enough miles to even get GOLD in year anymore, let alone PLAT. having PLAT benefits and decent amount of cleared upgrades as a true nobody is worth a LOT in my case.
hbtr likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
As other said AA MM means nothing and won't get you any EQM or EQD deposit/advance. It's completely useless for anyone who still actively flies AA during the year.

Same with Marriott Bonvoy LT Platinum. In order to be Titanium I have to stay the full 75 nights or do nothing and just stay Platinum. Considering the marginal benefits I'm doing the latter.
I have Marriott Lifetime Titanium and am thankful for it every time I stay at a Marriott property. Marriott has my business for life (unless they pull back those who have LT Titanium).

Also, I wouldn't say AA MM is useless now with LP. You'll at least be earning LP based on the Gold or Platinum earnings levels, which will get you to PP or EP faster.
LovePrunes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.