Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA service to DOH (ex-JFK, changing to ex-PHL on 29 Oct 2023)

AA service to DOH (ex-JFK, changing to ex-PHL on 29 Oct 2023)

Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I presently have a J award booked on QR from MIA-DOH in May. I also see a good priced award flight in F to DOH on AA from EYW, my home airport. I've read various musings here and other places online about the longer term viability of this flight for AA and the likelihood of it being killed off. I'm pretty risk adverse but I have a stash of Aadvantage miles I'd like to burn and I can use the QR Avios to book back to the US. Obvious differences in service and such aside, Is this a worth a risk?
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cayohueso
I presently have a J award booked on QR from MIA-DOH in May. I also see a good priced award flight in F to DOH on AA from EYW, my home airport. I've read various musings here and other places online about the longer term viability of this flight for AA and the likelihood of it being killed off. I'm pretty risk adverse but I have a stash of Aadvantage miles I'd like to burn and I can use the QR Avios to book back to the US. Obvious differences in service and such aside, Is this a worth a risk?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said, if QR J shows up, take it as it's significantly better than what AA passes off as F.
asf-07 and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:33 pm

Valid concern! Not sure what to think as May is a long time out there. AA seems to be pricing it cheaper than QR ( we got a killer deal for F for the outbound) so they seem to acknowledge they canít complete with the soft product (although it was a solid offering by AA) but the flights have been going out pretty much full.

if it was me, if itís a good deal Iíd pull the triggerÖ
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:54 pm

I was one of the unlucky people on AA 120 (JFK-DOH, connecting to DOH-Addis Ababa on QR--flying in economy, with my 13 year old daughter) on June 18. Horrible night. The fact that I was on AA was my mistake -- I had booked the entire itinerary on QR, and didn't pay attention to the fact that it was a codeshare with AA. I had noticed there were some real on time performance issues with this flight--it's indefensibly wretched how late it often is--but hoped for the best.
--Slightly late pushing back from the gate.
--On ground about 20 minutes later, told we have to return to terminal due to a cargo problem, and that the return will take a long time because of JFK ground traffic.
--Back at the gate, told they fixed the cargo problem, but now we need more fuel so are waiting for the fuel truck.
--11:30 pm or so, push back again. Wait in takeoff line.
--Around 12:00 pm, return to gate again because of mechanical issue.
--Around 12:45, told the flight would be delayed so we would deplane. "Gate agents will meet you and tell you the next steps."
--Gate agents hand everyone a flyer and say call the phone # to re-schedule. NOBODY ANSWERS THAT PHONE. I tell the person handing out the flyer that that number leads nowhere. Answer: "what do you expect when 300 of you call at once?" (<--direct quote).
--Staff eventually yell "the flight will now leave at 10 am tomorrow." None of us know what to do about connections we will miss.
-- Long line at the desk staffed by 2 people for all the people who need hotel/transit vouchers.
-- I'm on phone with QR, who can do nothing because they don't see tinfo about the delay. QR says gate agents at JFK can re-book the connections. AA says they can't, call QR. Fingers pointing both ways and constant phone calls (now 2 am) to QR and AA.
--I get taxi voucher from AA for a specific car company. I kid you not -- at that taxi stand, the car company says they WON'T GO until they get more people to share cars -- that with a flight of 300, they need to double us all up. 15 minutes of waiting, and I give up and take own taxi. It's now 2 am.
--Spend the next hour on phone trying to re-book connection to Addis via AA (for some reason). Told earliest option is 2 days later. I feed the agent other options, said it can't be another airline. FINALLY agent finds one that would get me in only 1 day late--Etihad flight 433, DOH to ADD. No, I did not mis-hear her -- she insisted it was Etihad. Reader, it was Ethiopian, as I see when the new schedule shows up in the app. I screen-shot my new itin.
-Book the AA taxi voucher return trip for 6:30 am. THEY DO NOT SHOW. Pay my own way again.
--Chaos at Terminal 8 as AA people give confusing instructions about which line to wait in -- airport staff think our connections have all been rebooked; most people have NOT rebooked connections. Total chaos.
--Because I had a confirmed new connection, they take me to a short line. AA agent there: "you don't have a new connection to ADD." Me: yes, I do, here's the screen shot. He says he sees no record of it, and literally when I go into the app, what I had screen shot at 4 am is NOT THERE now that it is 7:30 am. He says "you have to go wait on the other line to re-book a connection." I object. So he finally re-books it.
--New routing has a 21 hour layover in Doha. QR says they won't do STPC hotel because it's AA's fault it's late. AA says they won't pay hotel because I booked on QR.

Yes, we made it to Doha, on a cramped plane with grumpy service and meh food. Returned yesterday on QR 701, and the difference was like night and day.

AA should be ashamed of its ineptitude in handling the chaotic communications and inability to manage the situation; its poor in-flight service on this flight; and the terrible track record of timing on this flight in general.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
If you buy through AA but connect onward, say JFK-DOH-MLE, where JFK-DOH is AA marketed and operated but DOH-MLE is on QR metal, do you get LP based on the base fare + carrier-imposed fees? This is what the checkout page shows me for predicting how many LPs I'll earn. Or is it fare-based for the AA metal but distance based for the QR segment?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jcarberry
If you buy through AA but connect onward, say JFK-DOH-MLE, where JFK-DOH is AA marketed and operated but DOH-MLE is on QR metal, do you get LP based on the base fare + carrier-imposed fees? This is what the checkout page shows me for predicting how many LPs I'll earn. Or is it fare-based for the AA metal but distance based for the QR segment?
Fare based
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jenae
AA should be ashamed of its ineptitude in handling the chaotic communications and inability to manage the situation; its poor in-flight service on this flight; and the terrible track record of timing on this flight in general.
There is no doubt that the inflight experience on AA doesn't come anywhere near QRs - but stuff like cargo and mechanicals happen anywhere - and it's not that a QR plane does better maneuvering ground traffic in JFK. For what it's worth, I prefer AA for service recovery over QRs reluctance to do anything sensible that the computer didn't recommend.
Global321 and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Originally Posted by flying_geek
There is no doubt that the inflight experience on AA doesn't come anywhere near QRs - but stuff like cargo and mechanicals happen anywhere - and it's not that a QR plane does better maneuvering ground traffic in JFK. For what it's worth, I prefer AA for service recovery over QRs reluctance to do anything sensible that the computer didn't recommend.

ISSUES and DELAYS are rampant as of late - it's all over the news. I do think that AA can handle things well at times. On 21June, I had a siginificant delay that resulted in an Overnight in the Brotherly city that I was not expecting. I voiced concern to the email box at AA. Got a phone call a few days later appologizing for the incident and offer to reimburse me for all my out of pocket expenses, Check already arrived.

So - things can happen. the world is fragile. But how far has technology brought us - Imagine a voyage from NYC to MLE 100 years ago?
BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_geek
Well, I think airlines that focus more on ongoing/preventative maintenance and have newer aircraft, and that generally have more competent employees dealing with cargo (or whatever caused this particular issue) would, on balance, have fewer of these types of incidents. I can't of course say whether QR does better on this front than AA. Still, I've definitely read that QR service recovery leaves A LOT to be desired (basically anything other than in-flight service and lounges leaves a lot to be desired ), and I have to think that being on AA's "home" turf probably made things better than they might have been if this was a QR-operated delay.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
While I agree with the points mentioned above about “stuff happens”……when you have an on time record as bad as this flight, something needs to be fixed. Ironic thing is that I actually switched my flight to QR due to issues with this flight. Low and behold the QR flight went mechanical. I couldn’t help but laugh. QR actually did a good job during that ordeal despite that typically not being their strong suit. So, yes, delays can happen with any carrier but the numbers don’t lie. I still will not take this flight if missing a connection is a concern to me.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. My return flight on AA120 left the gate 5 minutes early. It then took off just before 10 after a 'pretty good for JFK' half hour of taxi and runway waiting. Despite less than favorable winds we got into Doha 5 minutes early.

After reading the horror story above, I feel like I really dodged a bullet. Even though it went well for me this time, I will be back to QR and Qsuites, which are better than even Flagship First.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I am just looking at my February 2024 flights and JFK-DOH-JFK is zeroed out

Does anyone have any info on this? I mean I'll take the re-route via BA/QR and LHR in First
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cfischer
I am just looking at my February 2024 flights and JFK-DOH-JFK is zeroed out

Does anyone have any info on this? I mean I'll take the re-route via BA/QR and LHR in First
Looks like the AA JFK-DOH was pulled starting Oct. 29. Back to QR.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yeah, that's kind of last minute

Problem is, QR doesn't have First on this route. Now I need to see if AA will rebook us via LHR ... that should be fun Is there a good/better number for 'First' with AA? I am dreading calling the regular number!
Also, better to wait what 'auto re-book' will do or call ASAP?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For the life of me I can't even fathom why AA geniuses would implement this route in the first place. Who in their right and sane mind would choose AA (in any class of service) over QR for this route?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.