Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dining questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by lmagnott
I'm not convinced that chownow is the one charging higher fees. Consider the following example where prices at the same restaurant increase by 15% if you link to chownow through AAdvantage dining rather than use chownow directly:

AAdvantage dining: https://direct.chownow.com/order/171...6-1204653F0DEB

directly through chownow: https://eat.chownow.com/order/17166/locations/24518

It seems clear that you're paying specifically for the miles rather than the online ordering service. Not worth it to me, but others can do their own calculations.
I know this is only one data point, but I looked at a recent order and compared the restaurant's own published prices to Chow Now directly and Chow Now through AA Dining. Same prices. No extra fees.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Now it seems we can add another category: if you pay by ApplePay. Even though your charges are still going to your credit card account, since the ApplePay has a different virtual number than the number on your physical card, you don’t get any credit.
This is true for practically all card-linked programs.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
This is true for practically all card-linked programs.
After the fact I guess it makes sense.

But as an end user, you think you are using your “visa” for a purchase and whether you tap, slide, insert or use Apple Pay, you wouldn’t think you are using a different card.

And none of these programs really spell it out - like don’t use Apple Pay, use the physical card.

Live and learn I guess.

I wonder if the next level of complexity is how many restaurants use services like Square, and whether that throws another wrench, cause the charge on the credit card is SQ*SomeRestaurant and not SomeRestaurant.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After the fact I guess it makes sense.

But as an end user, you think you are using your “visa” for a purchase and whether you tap, slide, insert or use Apple Pay, you wouldn’t think you are using a different card.

And none of these programs really spell it out - like don’t use Apple Pay, use the physical card.

Live and learn I guess.

I wonder if the next level of complexity is how many restaurants use services like Square, and whether that throws another wrench, cause the charge on the credit card is SQ*SomeRestaurant and not SomeRestaurant.
Remember that if your purchase doesn't qualify, the rewards network is not making any money. So it's not like they are incentived to trick you -- just the opposite. They want your purchase to count so they can charge the restaurant.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I have had that issue happen a couple of times - but in those cases I just did a printout from my credit card transaction on americanexpress.com and uploaded it to the form on AA dining and always got the appropriate points added. (I haven't tried that with an apple pay charge, but it couldn't hurt to try. As @VegasGambler noted, Rewards Network WANTS to get the transactions to count so that they make their commission.)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Now it seems we can add another category: if you pay by ApplePay. Even though your charges are still going to your credit card account, since the ApplePay has a different virtual number than the number on your physical card, you don’t get any credit.
I have had this problem with ApplePay but I actually have problems getting credit for most online orders. But in every case (including ApplePay) I have been able to receive credit by requesting it through the AAdvantage dining website.annoying that I have to do it so often but I guess I’m used to it now. Save your receipts (emails/texts)!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I'd agree with the prior sentiment that AAdvantage dining is a sham for the online-only restaurants that are handled via Chow Now. If I visit a restaurant directly then the cost is $68+taxes=$80, but going via AAdvantage dining results in $78.25+taxes=$92.22. So, I'd be paying $12.22 extra for a measly 78 miles (worth about $1-$2 by many estimates).
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I signed up for AAdvantage Dining two weeks ago and completed my first dine on Saturday. Five days later, it's still not showing up in my activity tracker. How long does it typically take for dining purchases to post?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I signed up for AAdvantage Dining two weeks ago and completed my first dine on Saturday. Five days later, it's still not showing up in my activity tracker. How long does it typically take for dining purchases to post?
It's been a bit of a crapshoot for me, so I would say you should wait a bit longer. I don't know why it takes so long, because things like Dosh seem to happen instantly, but who knows.

After another week, I'd go ahead and contact them, but be warned that their customer service is not always the best and often take a long time to respond. I have, at least, gotten them to fix any issues I've had.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
If it’s going to post at all, usually 1-3 days for me. But more often than not it doesn’t post for 10 days or more and I have to contact them to request mileage credit. Note that some online orders won’t post because of the online order was processed by an order processing system that is separate from the restaurant. But I have had issues with dine-in as well.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by hbtr
If it’s going to post at all, usually 1-3 days for me. But more often than not it doesn’t post for 10 days or more and I have to contact them to request mileage credit. Note that some online orders won’t post because of the online order was processed by an order processing system that is separate from the restaurant. But I have had issues with dine-in as well.
I think something has changed with how they process transactions. The only AA Dining restaurant I regularly go to is a Thai place by me. I always go in person and either eat in or carry it back home. Up until a couple of months ago, I would get an email thanking me for using AA Dining literally *seconds* after I put my card in the terminal.

Now all of a sudden, I'm not getting the email until maybe a week later, and I think some transactions may never have been recorded. I'm going to look over my paper statements when they come over the next couple of weeks to double-check whether I've received all the miles I'm supposed to.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I think something has changed with how they process transactions. The only AA Dining restaurant I regularly go to is a Thai place by me. I always go in person and either eat in or carry it back home. Up until a couple of months ago, I would get an email thanking me for using AA Dining literally *seconds* after I put my card in the terminal.

Now all of a sudden, I'm not getting the email until maybe a week later, and I think some transactions may never have been recorded. I'm going to look over my paper statements when they come over the next couple of weeks to double-check whether I've received all the miles I'm supposed to.
What is a paper statement?

(I kid)

I have had the same observation. Anything in person would usually take seconds to get a confirmation email, but now its about a week. (online pickup orders though through ChowNow always took a few days, and still do).
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
I find it to be intermittent. I dined in person last night and confirmation came as soon as I paid (before I was even out of the restaurant). Other times recently, it’s been a few days for in person dines. So far, all have eventually posted automatically.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:48 am

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
I have now officially become confused over a very basic element of the AAdvantage Dining Program.

Simple question - do you have to provide a review after dining in order to earn the dining credit?

Obviously, you get the spend LPs through the credit card, I speak of the double dip points directly from ADP activity.

I ask because I just received miles and LPs for a dine and did not review the restaurant. (In fact, I didn't even think my ADP account was active, but that's a mystery for another time.)
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PhillyFive
Simple question - do you have to provide a review after dining in order to earn the dining credit?
No. In the distant past I vaguely remember some bonuses for providing reviews, but you certainly don't need to provide one just to get credit for the dine.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.