AAdvantage Dining questions

Old Jan 24, 22, 8:16 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,535
Problem with AAdvantage Dining - there are not many that participate. There are none in the county of VA that I live. And there is only one in the city of Washington DC. Looks like many that used to participate have dropped out. Maybe with the LP system - I guess they figure people would be playing games.
cova is offline  
Old Jan 24, 22, 10:23 pm
  #32  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 2,318
Originally Posted by cova
Problem with AAdvantage Dining - there are not many that participate. There are none in the county of VA that I live. And there is only one in the city of Washington DC. Looks like many that used to participate have dropped out. Maybe with the LP system - I guess they figure people would be playing games.
Not sure where you are looking, but there are lots in Washington DC. (It's where I live.) In particular, I like Rasa, Proper 21 F street, Sushi AOI, Maketto, and Basebowl Ramen, all of which are on the aadvantagedining.com search. Masala Art is also really good.
chrisny2 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 22, 1:45 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,188
Originally Posted by cova
Problem with AAdvantage Dining - there are not many that participate. There are none in the county of VA that I live. And there is only one in the city of Washington DC. Looks like many that used to participate have dropped out. Maybe with the LP system - I guess they figure people would be playing games.
This is not AA specific. All the airlines' dining programs are run by the same company, and have the same participants. The different websites are just different skins for the different airlines, but the programs are identical (and you can only have a CC linked to one... it you link it to a 2nd program, it will unlink it from the first one and you will get an email from the company that runs the programs explaining what happened)
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 26, 22, 7:41 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,535
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Not sure where you are looking, but there are lots in Washington DC. (It's where I live.) In particular, I like Rasa, Proper 21 F street, Sushi AOI, Maketto, and Basebowl Ramen, all of which are on the aadvantagedining.com search. Masala Art is also really good.
I was going to the AA Dining portal and putting in my zip code. - I just did it again and now I am seeing restaurants.
I guess their system had an issue when I did the search.
And I now see 10 in the 20007 zip code.
cova is offline  
Old Jan 27, 22, 6:02 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH, West Coast
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Posts: 2,703
Between Heart State Brewing near CMH (fantastic IPAs) and Hopvine Pub in Capitol Hill in Seattle, I'm drinkin' my way to VIP status already!
nineworldseries is online now  
Old Jan 27, 22, 9:12 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 662
As a warning to anyone ordering from Chownow through the AA Dining Portal - there's a decent mark up ~20%.

Here's the menu a restaurant near my house called Red Stix through the AA Chownow portal - https://direct.chownow.com/order/166...4-B44DA8B761ED

Here's the Toastab link directly from their site - https://www.toasttab.com/red-stix-street-food/v3

similar with another restaurant called Taverna - https://direct.chownow.com/order/176...4-B44DA8B761ED

Taverna when ordering through DoorDash - https://www.doordash.com/store/taver...m_campaign=gpa
longtimereader firstimeposter is offline  
Old Feb 22, 22, 7:12 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Programs: AA EXP , 1M; Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Posts: 21
Chow now fees

So chow now advocate that they charge the restaurants a flat monthly fee but I just ordered from my local Indian restaurant and can confirm that every item was a few dollars more through the chow now system than the restaurants own menu (they only offer the online option in advantage dining). It was self pick up only and I double checked the prices while I was waiting for my food too so Im not sure the miles earned were worth it compared with just calling over the phone and paying at least 10% less for the food
murfbabe is offline  
Old Feb 22, 22, 8:30 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,188
Originally Posted by murfbabe
So chow now advocate that they charge the restaurants a flat monthly fee but I just ordered from my local Indian restaurant and can confirm that every item was a few dollars more through the chow now system than the restaurants own menu (they only offer the online option in advantage dining). It was self pick up only and I double checked the prices while I was waiting for my food too so Im not sure the miles earned were worth it compared with just calling over the phone and paying at least 10% less for the food
You see this on doordash and Uber eats sometimes. Restaurants can choose to eat the fees themselves, or pass them on to the customer through higher prices. They set the menu prices; nothing is forcing them to set the same prices on chownow as they do in their restaurant.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Feb 22, 22, 9:25 pm
  #39  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 2,318
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You see this on doordash and Uber eats sometimes. Restaurants can choose to eat the fees themselves, or pass them on to the customer through higher prices. They set the menu prices; nothing is forcing them to set the same prices on chownow as they do in their restaurant.
Yup - I agree. There is a great italian place in my neighborhood whose chownow prices are mostly the same for their items with a few that are about a $0.25 difference.
chrisny2 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 22, 11:44 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: OC, CA
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 800
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Yup - I agree. There is a great italian place in my neighborhood whose chownow prices are mostly the same for their items with a few that are about a $0.25 difference.
was that through AAdvantage dining or some other link to chownow?

I have checked 5-6 local restaurants on the AAdvantage dining site and they all had prices for online ordering that were 20-25% higher on AAdvantage dining/chownow than the menus (in some cases online ordering menus) on their own sites. Maybe the restaurants are choosing to set their own prices but the increase is so consistently high I have to wonder if its something else.
hbtr is offline  
Old Feb 23, 22, 7:51 am
  #41  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 2,318
Originally Posted by hbtr
was that through AAdvantage dining or some other link to chownow?
Yes - the restaurants that are available for online ordering, but not for the rest of the AAdvantage dining (i.e., dining in) are just through a partnership with chownow. My guess is that chownow charges high fees that certain restaurants choose to absorb. (I just remembered that Washington DC has a law that limits fees for services like uber eats and doordash and chownow - so maybe that helps explains the lower price points compared to other jurisdictions.)
chrisny2 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 22, 8:22 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You see this on doordash and Uber eats sometimes. Restaurants can choose to eat the fees themselves, or pass them on to the customer through higher prices. They set the menu prices; nothing is forcing them to set the same prices on chownow as they do in their restaurant.
It also happens with the eShopping portal. Websites detect your clickthrough and can dynamically set the prices. Just last night I compared the price for an arrangement on SendFlowers.com in one browser where I clicked from the portal and in another browser where I just went to the site directly. Price was 10% higher when coming from the portal lol. The question you have to ask yourself is: are the miles/LP worth it? Between bonus/promo deal boosts and now elite qualifications in the mix, the answer is sometimes tricky.
jamabam is offline  
Old Feb 23, 22, 8:46 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Yes - the restaurants that are available for online ordering, but not for the rest of the AAdvantage dining (i.e., dining in) are just through a partnership with chownow. My guess is that chownow charges high fees that certain restaurants choose to absorb. (I just remembered that Washington DC has a law that limits fees for services like uber eats and doordash and chownow - so maybe that helps explains the lower price points compared to other jurisdictions.)
I'm not convinced that chownow is the one charging higher fees. Consider the following example where prices at the same restaurant increase by 15% if you link to chownow through AAdvantage dining rather than use chownow directly:

AAdvantage dining: https://direct.chownow.com/order/171...6-1204653F0DEB

directly through chownow: https://eat.chownow.com/order/17166/locations/24518

It seems clear that you're paying specifically for the miles rather than the online ordering service. Not worth it to me, but others can do their own calculations.
lmagnott is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 2:50 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Posts: 734
The more I try to use AAdvatage Dining, the more it seems to be a sham. Others have pointed out the limited number of restaurants and how some restaurants you will only get credit if you order online.

Now it seems we can add another category: if you pay by ApplePay. Even though your charges are still going to your credit card account, since the ApplePay has a different virtual number than the number on your physical card, you don’t get any credit.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 2:57 pm
  #45  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 2,318
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
The more I try to use AAdvatage Dining, the more it seems to be a sham. Others have pointed out the limited number of restaurants and how some restaurants you will only get credit if you order online.

Now it seems we can add another category: if you pay by ApplePay. Even though your charges are still going to your credit card account, since the ApplePay has a different virtual number than the number on your physical card, you dont get any credit.
I'm not sure how you would call it a sham: yeah, it's not useful if there aren't any restaurants you want to go to, but where I live, a number of good places in the neighborhood participate. I'm up to several thousands of loyalty points this year from dining: everything from pancakes at ihop to ramen at a great ramen shop in my neighborhood.

And yes, it's a good reminder that mobile wallets won't work with rewards programs that track through your credit card number (as the merchant never receives your actual credit card number.)
chrisny2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread