Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Terrible. They run RJs from CMH-MIA and back all day too. Can't stand 2.5 hours of torture and will usually route through LGA or JFK to avoid. At least they're not quite as awful as the old Super 80 runs to DFW.
I would consider 2.5 hours in a RJ a lot less torture than a connection in LGA or JFK.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Antarius
Or they just like cranberry vodka in the morning.

I personally don't drink on morning flights as I don't want to (make up for it in the evening flights ), but that's a personal choice. Everyone is free to do as they see fit as long as they behave like adults.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. I'm with you, unless it's a mimosa or bloody mary on the weekend, I typically don't imbibe on morning flights. But as long as folks are behaving, I see absolutely noting wrong with it. For example, in Japan they turn on the beer machines when the lounges open in the morning. It's not uncommon for me to see someone responsibly enjoying a draft beer at 7am - and even though that's nothing I would ever enjoy at that hour (and I love beer), I see absolutely nothing wrong it.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
That’s poor effort. I can get through 3 mini wine bottles in 50 minutes between London and Glasgow.

Longer and all bets are off.
A friend and I drank Virgin Trains out of Stella on a WCML trip from Euston to Glasgow many years ago. We'd drank solidly all the way north and asked for a couple more as the train was passing Carstairs. This was in First Class so everything was complimentary. There weren't any on the trolley so the bert suggested I ask for a couple at the buffet. None there either. Apparently they'd restocked the buffet at Preston but we'd demolished that too.

Bringing the subject back to planes, we'd normally manage a PDB plus a couple more without any difficulty on LAS - LAX / PHX. Never been cut off by AA. CX tried to, once, on LAX - HKG when my wife and I were in PE. The FA "suggested" that we might want to slow down a little as alcohol affects people more at altitude and if we weren't used to it then she'd have to limit how much she served. I politely "suggested" that she look at the passenger manifest and she'd see that it wasn't exactly our first rodeo. I was OWE and my wife OWS at the time. Let's just say that our glasses were never left unfilled and we had extremely attentive service for the remainder of the flight.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Was the FA young by any chance? Whilst I've never been cut off, I have had a couple of the younger ones get uneasy giving me a 3rd/4th Bailey's, which I assume is down to them thinking they're handing me 40% ABV mini's when its really 17% ABV. They older FAs tend to know the deal in that respect.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by F16wannabe
Flew F DSM-MIA last Friday on AA 3522 (Envoy). Flight is listed as 3 hours 14 minutes. With about an hour to go in the flight I tried to order a 3rd Bloody Mary and was informed by the flight attendant that there was a 2 drink maximum. She was very apologetic and said it was not her policy but it was AA policy because of Covid. I've been on several AA flights since Covid and I've not heard of this policy before. Did I get a rogue flight attendant or is this a policy I'm not aware of? She was very nice about it and even offered to get me anything non-alcoholic that I wanted so it didn't seem like she was being lazy.

I think it's possible it's an Envoy policy. We had a similar experience also on Envoy.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by kklems
And who drinks vodka and cranberry at 6 am?
It's always evening somewhere in the world!
dvs7310, cmd320, Spanish and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I would consider 2.5 hours in a RJ a lot less torture than a connection in LGA or JFK.
I would respectfully disagree with lie-flat J seats from LGA-MIA-JFK

Normally yes, as the CMH-NYC legs are also in 175s.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kklems
And who drinks vodka and cranberry at 6 am? Give me an Irish coffee or some baileys in my coffee at that time
Maybe they have a UTI? The vodka cranberry is medicine!
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Was the FA young by any chance? Whilst I've never been cut off, I have had a couple of the younger ones get uneasy giving me a 3rd/4th Bailey's, which I assume is down to them thinking they're handing me 40% ABV mini's when its really 17% ABV. They older FAs tend to know the deal in that respect.
I'm 45 and I'd say the FA was around my age. Miami based crew. I've actually found the young FAs tend to serve me better. I've managed 4 drinks on an Envoy flight from ORD-DSM served by a FA that couldn't have been over 25. I didn't have to ask for any of them, they were all offered. One of them was a PDB so it was obviously pre Covid. She even served the 4th one in a plastic glass so as she said "I could keep it throughout the entire descent".
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by Antarius
Or they just like cranberry vodka in the morning.

I personally don't drink on morning flights as I don't want to (make up for it in the evening flights ), but that's a personal choice. Everyone is free to do as they see fit as long as they behave like adults.
Agreed. I see many order the Bloody Mary, but alcohol makes me sleepy and I do not consume alcohol unless it's an evening flight.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I would respectfully disagree with lie-flat J seats from LGA-MIA-JFK

Normally yes, as the CMH-NYC legs are also in 175s.
To each his own, but there isn't an airplane seat in the world that would make me change a 2hr 45min non stop flight to a 6 hour journey that connected in one of the least on time airports in the country.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
To each his own, but there isn't an airplane seat in the world that would make me change a 2hr 45min non stop flight to a 6 hour journey that connected in one of the least on time airports in the country.
Not even if the pilot let you sit up front on the flight deck on both flights and drink unlimited alcohol?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Not even if the pilot let you sit up front on the flight deck on both flights and drink unlimited alcohol?
Getting drunk while sitting on the flight deck seems like a horrible idea to me.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Getting drunk while sitting on the flight deck seems like a horrible idea to me.
I only agree with this if connecting through LaGuardia or JFK.
Cledaybuck likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:07 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Amil
do I just get really lucky? I usually have to tell the FA's to calm down on the pours lol

I would be very insulted if I was perfectly sober and was told there was a 2 drink MAX.
Indeed.

A couple months ago I was flying to a friend's wedding in LA on a Friday night. The F cabin on the DCA-LAX flight was particularly light and no one else seemed to be drinking. I had a particularly bad work week, so I was looking forward to the trip. Anyways, we were just barely over St. Louis when I assumed I had finished an entire bottle of wine because the FA serving F approached me and asked if I wanted him to "open another bottle". I declined, and he almost seemed upset by my refusal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.