Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles
Last Saturday evening after takeoff from ORD-LAX, the FA came around for drink orders. I asked for a Woodford double and he said we don't serve doubles. I replied that it was not a problem on the flight out. That was met with an icy stare.
He really did not need to worry about anyone getting over-served since after picking up the "snack" remnants, he retreated to the galley where he spent the final two and a half hours of our flight.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by JohnVernon
Last Saturday evening after takeoff from ORD-LAX, the FA came around for drink orders. I asked for a Woodford double and he said we don't serve doubles. I replied that it was not a problem on the flight out. That was met with an icy stare.
Frankly, I've got a lot less issues with this than what the OP encountered. Seems perfectly reasonable for an FA to want to limit the amount of alcohol provided to a single serving at a time. Only recently during COVID has the practice of getting two minis at the same time become relatively commonplace. Now, if they flat out refuse a refill to someone who isn't intoxicated - that's a different issue. Granted it's all a slippery slope, but YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
cblaisd likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JohnVernon
he retreated to the galley where he spent the final two and a half hours of our flight.
Frustrating but par for the course for most AA flight attendants. F/A button is your friend.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Frankly, I've got a lot less issues with this than what the OP encountered. Seems perfectly reasonable for an FA to want to limit the amount of alcohol provided to a single serving at a time. Only recently during COVID has the practice of getting two minis at the same time become relatively commonplace. Now, if they flat out refuse a refill to someone who isn't intoxicated - that's a different issue. Granted it's all a slippery slope, but YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
In my experience the doubles were pretty common place before COVID. Usually, they'd serve me one in a glass and hand me a second as a refill.

I drink my whiskey and bourbon neat, so maybe that's why I experienced it more.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
In my experience the doubles were pretty common place before COVID. Usually, they'd serve me one in a glass and hand me a second as a refill.

I drink my whiskey and bourbon neat, so maybe that's why I experienced it more.
Same. Pre-corona I never asked for doubles, usually received them.

I'd say it has been 50/50 in coronatimes. Service has mostly been proactive, and when it hasn't, I use the button as necessary.
Spanish likes this.

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; Dec 5, 2021 at 10:46 am
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
I’ll add one data point…. February 2021 we flew HNL-ORD in F on a 772. Because the service had been so slow (no drinks until almost 2 hours into the flight) I ordered a Double Woodford. The FA told me they “weren’t supposed to give doubles” but she’d give me a double “this time.” I’ve flown AA a lot over the years and had never heard that.

We also didn’t get dinner until over half way to ORD……
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro
How do that oustanding service tix work. I just got a bunch. Do you keep them in your wallet and then give them out to the worthy FA?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfizzle
How do that oustanding service tix work. I just got a bunch. Do you keep them in your wallet and then give them out to the worthy FA?
Yes. Although they go in my backpack, not my wallet.

IIRC, FAs can enter them into a drawing and win good monetary sums.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I can see it now...
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
do I just get really lucky? I usually have to tell the FA's to calm down on the pours lol

I would be very insulted if I was perfectly sober and was told there was a 2 drink MAX.
CLT, MasterPlanner and Spanish like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
My underage daughter was on a 6:xx am flight Friday from BUF to ORD in F class and said the flight attendant declined to serve a lady a 3rd vodka and cranberry. (She said no pre-flight drink so with takeoff and landing times that would be 3 drinks in the span of 60-90 minutes) Never mind wrong airline. Was an UA flight. Her return is AA. But I think FA are more vigilant about not serving large amounts of alcohol in a short time due to all the issues with unruly (or FA perceived) passengers. And who drinks vodka and cranberry at 6 am? Give me an Irish coffee or some baileys in my coffee at that time
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by kklems
And who drinks vodka and cranberry at 6 am? Give me an Irish coffee or some baileys in my coffee at that time
Why so judgemental? What difference does is it make what kind of alcohol is consumed? Unlikely, but maybe that passenger just arrived in BUF from an entirely different timezone halfway around the world and a cranberry vodka felt more appropriate for their body clock?

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
I’ll add one data point…. February 2021 we flew HNL-ORD in F on a 772. Because the service had been so slow (no drinks until almost 2 hours into the flight) I ordered a Double Woodford. The FA told me they “weren’t supposed to give doubles” but she’d give me a double “this time.” I’ve flown AA a lot over the years and had never heard that.

We also didn’t get dinner until over half way to ORD……
In other words, you received the "old-school" DC10 service. Back in the day, it seemed to take them forever to get out the F service on the longer routes. Of course, on shorter routes, they would HAVE to hurry. But it was not unusual on ORD-BOS on a DC10 to be served your F meal just 5-10 minutes before the initial descent started.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Why so judgemental? What difference does is it make what kind of alcohol is consumed? Unlikely, but maybe that passenger just arrived in BUF from an entirely different timezone halfway around the world and a cranberry vodka felt more appropriate for their body clock?

-FlyerBeek
Or they just like cranberry vodka in the morning.

I personally don't drink on morning flights as I don't want to (make up for it in the evening flights ), but that's a personal choice. Everyone is free to do as they see fit as long as they behave like adults.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Antarius
...as long as they behave like adults.
That sounds boring.
joeyE, cmd320 and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.