Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrying liquids (Welch's Sparkling Rosé) in checked baggage on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus

I was wondering, what is AA's official policy on carrying liquids in checked baggage? I am traveling to SJU for the holidays and would like to bring two bottles of Welch's Sparkling Rosé Grape Juice. I am not sure if they sell this in Puerto Rico, so would like to bring two bottles to be on the safe side (the Rosé is much better than the Red or White). I would like to know, do I need some tote bag to protect the bottles?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Delta 764
I was wondering, what is AA's official policy on carrying liquids in checked baggage? I am traveling to SJU for the holidays and would like to bring two bottles of Welch's Sparkling Rosé Grape Juice. I am not sure if they sell this in Puerto Rico, so would like to bring two bottles to be on the safe side (the Rosé is much better than the Red or White). I would like to know, do I need some tote bag to protect the bottles?
LOL, as long as you're not traveling with any type of liquid or other item that's on the AA/FAA prohibited list then you can travel with as much as you want in your checked luggage, subject of course to any bag size and/or weight restrictions.

So no, there's no problem whatsoever with traveling with 2 bottles of grape juice in your checked luggage.

Now, whether the bottles will make it there without getting smashed depends entirely on how good you pack them, what kind of suitcase, etc. Many times I've traveled with a few bottles of wine in checked luggage in my normal type suitcases but I wrap them up pretty well.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:43 am

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat Pro
You may... need wine wings!

Originally Posted by Delta 764
If I'm carrying bottles of beer/ liquor in carried on, I put them in "Wine Wings Reusable Bottle Protector Sleeve Travel Bag Luggage Leak Safe" - search for B01F6CDE40 at Amazon ( Amazon wont be the only place to get such things, but its where I get mine! )
They are a bottle shaped bubble wrap, surrounded by a tough (again bottle shaped) vinyl case, which is double sealed - well recommended for peace of mind!

If course, there is nothing stopping you from wrapping each bottle in a towel, and then place the same in a carrier bag, but... I'm a wine wings guy now!
wrp96 and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can bottles of sparkling juice survive the temperature and pressure changes?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Now, whether the bottles will make it there without getting smashed depends entirely on how good you pack them, what kind of suitcase, etc.
Might also depend on who handles your suitcase:

[Url]

Etheereal likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by davork
If I'm carrying bottles of beer/ liquor in carried on, I put them in "Wine Wings Reusable Bottle Protector Sleeve Travel Bag Luggage Leak Safe" - search for B01F6CDE40 at Amazon ( Amazon wont be the only place to get such things, but its where I get mine! )
They are a bottle shaped bubble wrap, surrounded by a tough (again bottle shaped) vinyl case, which is double sealed - well recommended for peace of mind!

If course, there is nothing stopping you from wrapping each bottle in a towel, and then place the same in a carrier bag, but... I'm a wine wings guy now!
Since when can bottles of wine be 'carried on'? Do you mean checked?
In the old days, many years ago, I used to carry a case of wine home, but not anymore.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can bottles of sparkling juice survive the temperature and pressure changes?
I've checked bottles of champagne many times, using wine skins (wine bottle shaped bubble wrap), with no issue.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I'm going to check a bag full of grape juice to London next week and see what the Mrs. says when we arrive at baggage claim.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Done this many times in protective special boxes or just a regular roll on suite cases. I use spare shoes to protect the bottle and cushion it with clothes above and below. Watch out for the the buttons and hard objects.

There is a maximum of 2 bottles of hard liquor per bag. I think it has to do the the flammability. Otherwise, no real limits except for the weight and size limits set by the airlines.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
packing grape juice in your checked in luggage just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
D3Kingg and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
There is a maximum of 2 bottles of hard liquor per bag. I think it has to do the the flammability. Otherwise, no real limits except for the weight and size limits set by the airlines.
5 liters is the limit per TSA rules for alcohol over 24% ABV - that's a bit over 6 standard sized 750-ml bottles. TSA does not allow liquor over 70% ABV in checked baggage.
BigJC and Check like this.

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; Nov 30, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:54 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Wine and spirits travel routinely via UPS to stores. If you’ve packed it remotely securely it’s gonna be fine, I’d only be reluctant if you were transporting fine wine through DFW in a 100+ summer.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Nope, it's 5 liters: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...olic-beverages
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
I'm going to check a bag full of grape juice to London next week and see what the Mrs. says when we arrive at baggage claim.
”Grape move, dumb***?”

Originally Posted by enviroian
packing grape juice in your checked in luggage just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
We can hope OP’s wardrobe is heavy on pinks and reds. In all seriousness though, I’ve checked bottles of rum back from the Caribbean a number of times well-wrapped and they have survived. Hoping I don’t jinx it for the next trip.
GlobalMatt and D3Kingg like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by _kurt
”Grape move, dumb***?”

We can hope OP’s wardrobe is heavy on pinks and reds. In all seriousness though, I’ve checked bottles of rum back from the Caribbean a number of times well-wrapped and they have survived. Hoping I don’t jinx it for the next trip.
For those wondering what I wanted to bring, it is this product right here:
Welch's Non-Alcoholic Sparkling Rosé Grape Juice Cocktail, 25.4 fl oz - Walmart.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.