Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage $125 discount and trip credit (consolidated)

Citi AAdvantage $125 discount and trip credit (consolidated)

Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I tried to use the $125 flight discount with some trip credit. The website showed that both were applied and ~$15 was left due to pay on my CC when I clicked on "Pay now", but the subsequent email confirmation showed that ~$140 was charged to my CC. I called AA res, who consulted the help desk but neither seemed able to correct things. The agent tried to pawn me off to the web support department, who was even less capable to help (other than to say they're not combinable and would file a bug report and TBD if anything gets done about it). I kept various screenshots as proof but I don't see any way to submit them to AA (except perhaps via twitter).
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Can you use the code from the $125 coupon again on another dummy booking?

If you paid for the first one in full on a CC, and the $125 coupon was not "used", you could cancel and rebook.

Edit to add - what is your CC saying via the online banking portal?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I thought about having the agent rebook, but the fare had already gone up by $100. The agent said trip credit and flight credit can’t be used together, and I reiterated it was trip credit and flight discount so I’m not sure if a phone rep can use them together or not (another comment on FT says no). They could see the flight discount # in the reservation, and asked me for the pin so confirm its value was unused.

As things were left with the reps I can check back in a few days to see if anything was done to address the issue. I suppose I can also file a DOT complaint (their process would allow me to upload the screenshots I have showing how the amount presented at the time of booking differs from what was actually charged).
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Can you use more than one discount coupon with a ticket. My daughter and I both have them. We also used one last year for a trip that was cancelled and have a credit for the !25. Has anyone tried recently to use the credit and the coupon to purchase a ticket. I believe you need to apply the trip credit at the time of reservation not at payment, but the 125 flight coupon only needs to be entered at payment Is that correct. Maybe that's why using both types of discounts and credits doesnt work (although there is no logical reason why it shouldnt) Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Can't use a trip credit or flight credit in conjunction with the $125 coupon. Can only use CC to cover any remaining balance. Verified last year via EXP desk, as I had a few trip credits to burn as well as this $125 coup - she specifically said the computer will not allow it.

I don't know about using 2 of the same coupon in 1 transaction, you should be able to plug the # if for the first coupon, and then see if you can plug in the # for the second coupon. Maybe the system will let it go thru?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:21 am

Can I use an AA gift card with the $125 credit?

Edit: Citi says gift cards are allowed. The terms also say you lose it if you change or cancel, but I guess that's not always true after reading other comments.
"If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Flight Discount, the difference must be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card, or with American Airlines Gift Cards."

Last edited by rrgg; Mar 22, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jtav559
I don't know about using 2 of the same coupon in 1 transaction, you should be able to plug the # if for the first coupon, and then see if you can plug in the # for the second coupon. Maybe the system will let it go thru?
I was able to use 2 Citi $125 Coupons in the same transaction for 2 tickets in Oct 2023.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thslanks for all recent info. Much appreciated
Old May 2, 2024, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by squatopus
How long does it take to receive the $125 credit in the mail? My statement with the annual fee closed 7/7/2023, and I haven't received it. Over 8 weeks at this point.
Is 8+ weeks the normal wait to receive the certificate?

Last edited by rrgg; May 2, 2024 at 5:39 pm
Old May 2, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by cova
I suggest booking two one-way tickets - provides more flexibility for redoing one direction.
But:
1. Book your tickets online for all passengers in same reservation and put ticket on hold.
2. Call to have Flight credit or trip credit applied for each passenger.

Update: I when through a booking I had with two passengers - each with a flight credit from the same reservation and it looks like you can rebook both people to a new reservation and ticket the same two people. But doesn't appear to allow for adding trip credits.

3. There will be a separate email for each passengers ticket but they will all have the same Record Locator - and you can book all in your seating preference.

Note - the two types of credits. Both show in your account - wallet.

Flight credit is a ticket refund, using the original ticket number as an exchange for the new ticket. If ticket is cheaper, then you get a trip credit for the difference.
I believe you can only use one Flight credit for a new ticket. But you can apply trip credits to cover the increase.

Trip credit is surplus amount from a rebooked ticket. You can apply multiple trip credits to a ticket.

Not sure what you meant by $125 discount?
Master card is offering a $50 discount for booking using a master card after you register and get a code.
But I don't think you can use can use that discount code with trip credits.
Wasn't there talk of getting rid of Flight Credits and making everything (the more versatile) Trip Credit? What happened with that scheme? Bean-counters?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.