Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage $125 discount and trip credit (consolidated)

Citi AAdvantage $125 discount and trip credit (consolidated)

Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:35 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The FT AA forum, until it no longer wants me.
Programs: CK or bust
Posts: 1,913
Originally Posted by cova
Is that a targeted benefit? I have not seen this benefit for the Citi Exec card and I exceed $40K spend per year for the extra EQM.
It's only included with the personal Citi Platinum card. The Exec card benefit is the Admirals Club access.
enpremiere is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:30 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
I know that this is an old thread but it's all I can find.

A while ago I got this discount code from Citi... IIRC it was emailed (is that right?). I can't find it. Citi sends me far too much spam, and I've tried some obvious search terms and I still can't find it.

Does anyone have such an email handy? Can you tell me the title of the email, or something else that would make it easy to search for in Gmail? I've tried filtering for emails from citi, with search terms like "$125", "discount", "flight", and various combinations of that and come up empty. I'm trying to avoid actually having to call Citi since that's always a painful experience.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:39 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH, West Coast
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I know that this is an old thread but it's all I can find.

A while ago I got this discount code from Citi... IIRC it was emailed (is that right?). I can't find it. Citi sends me far too much spam, and I've tried some obvious search terms and I still can't find it.

Does anyone have such an email handy? Can you tell me the title of the email, or something else that would make it easy to search for in Gmail? I've tried filtering for emails from citi, with search terms like "$125", "discount", "flight", and various combinations of that and come up empty. I'm trying to avoid actually having to call Citi since that's always a painful experience.
Mine was not emailed but sent as a literal certificate through the mail.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
nineworldseries is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:58 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: DSM
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I know that this is an old thread but it's all I can find.

A while ago I got this discount code from Citi... IIRC it was emailed (is that right?). I can't find it. Citi sends me far too much spam, and I've tried some obvious search terms and I still can't find it.

Does anyone have such an email handy? Can you tell me the title of the email, or something else that would make it easy to search for in Gmail? I've tried filtering for emails from citi, with search terms like "$125", "discount", "flight", and various combinations of that and come up empty. I'm trying to avoid actually having to call Citi since that's always a painful experience.
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Mine was not emailed but sent as a literal certificate through the mail.
Yep, it is a paper certificate that comes in the mail. I've come dangerously close to discarding it in the past due to the amount of crap that Citi sends me. I finally was able to opt-out of their mail offers though, so now I only get the pop-up offers for crap when I log in online.

Funny timing on this, I was sorting through a stack of papers the other day and found one of these that I had never opened. Expires in July, so still have time to use it fortunately...
DSM Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:04 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
Yep, it is a paper certificate that comes in the mail. I've come dangerously close to discarding it in the past due to the amount of crap that Citi sends me. I finally was able to opt-out of their mail offers though, so now I only get the pop-up offers for crap when I log in online.

Funny timing on this, I was sorting through a stack of papers the other day and found one of these that I had never opened. Expires in July, so still have time to use it fortunately...
This explains my inability to find the email. I'll look for the paper cert in 2 weeks (I just left for a trip...).
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:34 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,384
Originally Posted by enpremiere
The OP is referring to this Citi card benefit:

Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card
So if I hit my 20K spending 9 months before My annual fee hits, do they just sit on my certificate and wait for 9 months before they mail it?
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:27 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Posts: 478
They have to sit on it to see if you renew.
LovePrunes likes this.
armus is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:15 am
  #23  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Posts: 1,008
Any experience in canceling a ticket you purchased using the $125 Citi discount coupon?

Ie: $500 fare, use $125 coupon and $375 cash. If you book and then cancel, do you get the full $500 as a flight credit? Or just the $375 cash portion?
jtav559 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:58 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by jtav559
Any experience in canceling a ticket you purchased using the $125 Citi discount coupon?

Ie: $500 fare, use $125 coupon and $375 cash. If you book and then cancel, do you get the full $500 as a flight credit? Or just the $375 cash portion?
When I had to cancel, I did get the Citi $125 discount back as a credit as well. I think it ended up being split into two credits of $62.50.
AndyAA is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 11:02 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: AA
Posts: 1
Issues redeeming $125 credit

Has anyone had issues redeeming this flight credit? I just tried using the discount code for an upcoming flight (expires in 2024), the system accepted the code and let me process the remaining payment but I got an email 5 minutes later saying my payment failed and need to call to book. AA customer service not able to manually reprocess the discount code & got an error each time. Anyone run into this issue? I feel like this has always happened in the past with these vouchers.
DiscoPanda23 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:39 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,924
Since SWU works, has anyone received a complimentary domestic elite upgrade on a ticket purchased with the $125 credit?

I think it should work? The last time I used something like this was the old ~$99 companion ticket, and the only restriction was to book into a list of fare classes.
rrgg is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:45 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 3,235
Originally Posted by rrgg
Since SWU works, has anyone received a complimentary domestic elite upgrade on a ticket purchased with the $125 credit?

I think it should work? The last time I used something like this was the old ~$99 companion ticket, and the only restriction was to book into a list of fare classes.
yeah, it's just like any other form of payment
donotblink is offline  
Old Sep 4, 2023, 8:28 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Platinum, Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 29
How long does it take to receive the $125 credit in the mail? My statement with the annual fee closed 7/7/2023, and I haven't received it. Over 8 weeks at this point.
squatopus is offline  
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:56 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CA & Europe
Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
So if I hit my 20K spending 9 months before My annual fee hits, do they just sit on my certificate and wait for 9 months before they mail it?
The year for the $20K calculation (for $125 Flight Discount cert) starts on your Application for the card Date, NOT the stmt date with the renewal fee or the renewal charge date in the stmt.
IntFF is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:51 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 228
I received my $125 a few weeks ago in the mail but when I went to use it tonight I couldn't find it. Assuming it's been lost or accidentally thrown away, is there any chance that Citi/AA (I'm not even sure which one) could void the code and issue me a new one? It's still hard to believe that it's not something they just email you or post within your online account.
merlin90 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.