Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Upgrades Employee before Elite

American Airlines Upgrades Employee before Elite

Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I'm Curious

Originally Posted by ckn2
I have an interesting situation that I'd like to understand.
I was # 2 on the upgrade list using SWU on JFK-DEL on 10/7. # 1 got upgraded when boarding started and then 5 seats in business became available. With 11 people on the standby list, one pax was assigned the last F seat and 5 other standby's were assigned business seats. As the next pax on the upgrade list, I beg to ask: were standby employees assigned seats in C before the other 7 people on the upgrade list?
You are referring to October 7 takeoff from New York and not October 7 arrival in India? Correct?

Were you in slightly more room in the front coach or in deep steerage way in the back coach? (Which there are multiple reports on Flyer Talk of making a difference in the GA's mind, even if the collective Flyer Talk board does not believe it is supposed to).

Was the flight delayed, which might be relevant to your question? (Oddly, when I first looked, Flight Aware showed a delayed departure last night, but this morning says on time departure).

Can you better describe the timing and circumstances how "five seats became available" and how you became aware of that? (Which might relate to the above question).

Last edited by jayer; Oct 8, 2022 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
This is the upgrade list as shown after the boarding door closed; it seems that it was Geo., M. who I saw get upgraded to the open seat though it's not entirely clear to me whether a pax upgraded onboard shows up as cleared on the app or as next-up for clearing. But there was only one seat remaining after I cleared, so my assumption is that it must have been Geo. M. In any event, the guy who was upgraded was the same guy I saw in intimate conversation with the GA before boarding, though of course I can't be certain whether his name was Geo. M or Wes. A (or someone else entirely).
just an FYI, if there are 2 pax on one record and one gets upgraded while the other doesnt they have to split the PNRin my experience at least.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
just an FYI, if there are 2 pax on one record and one gets upgraded while the other doesn’t they have to split the PNR—in my experience at least.
exactly. thats how you know something is fishy. if you see C2 and you are #1/2 on the upgrade list (same PNR), someone split the PNR to get only 1 PAX upgrade. but its a complex process and many different scenarios of BS can happen. if you use EF and you see C2 and you are #1/2 on the upgrade list, you should / could be upgraded. but not certain. you have to search C inventory via segments on EF.

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)
AA changes the confirmed upgrade (C and A ) process [EF now updated]
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
You are referring to October 7 takeoff from New York and not October 7 arrival in India? Correct?

Were you in slightly more room in the front coach or in deep steerage way in the back coach? (Which there are multiple reports on Flyer Talk of making a difference in the GA's mind, even if the collective Flyer Talk board does not believe it is supposed to).

Was the flight delayed, which might be relevant to your question? (Oddly, when I first looked, Flight Aware showed a delayed departure last night, but this morning says on time departure).

Can you better describe the timing and circumstances how "five seats became available" and how you became aware of that? (Which might relate to the above question).
The flight in question was 10/7 departure from JFK to DEL. Flight was not delayed and 5 seats became available about 5 min after boarding started (I suppose GA dropped seats of passengers that would misconnect or didn't check-in). Things were moving smoothly so I don't think D0 was an issue. I was observing the boarding as I was traveling light and didn't need to board until the end. Therefore, I could see the seats that were being assigned to the standby passengers on the screen. Granted, I don't know if they were employees, but those pax were on the standby list.
Interesting enough, in this flight, I saw to passengers denied boarding because they were intoxicated (GA said they wouldn't fly, bags were offloaded).
I was traveling solo, so no issue of two pax not splitting up. Would like to understand how/why that happened since it's the first time I saw this happening.

Last edited by ckn2; Oct 8, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The flight in question was 10/7 departure from JFK to DEL. Flight was not delayed and 5 seats became available about 5 min after boarding started (I suppose GA dropped seats of passengers that would misconnect or didn't check-in). Things were moving smoothly so I don't think D0 was an issue. I was observing the boarding as I was traveling light and didn't need to board until the end. Therefore, I could see the seats that were being assigned to the standby passengers on the screen. Granted, I don't know if they were employees, but those pax were on the standby list.
The flight blocked out 19 minutes late, so D0 was an issue; however, you should have been upgraded and given a business class seat before passengers on the standby list were accommodated in the business cabin (deadheading crew do not fly standby). You should file a complaint, perhaps the gate agent will be "retrained" and/or they may throw some miles or other compensation your way.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Interesting enough, in this flight, I saw to passengers denied boarding because they were intoxicated (GA said they wouldn't fly, bags were offloaded).
I was traveling solo, so no issue of two pax not splitting up. Would like to understand how/why that happened since it's the first time I saw this happening.
I had a situation a few years back in which we were flying on a first class ticket, due to a schedule change we ended up in economy on one leg. For that leg, we were confirmed in economy and were put on a stand by list for first class. We appeared as 1 & 2 on the stand by list even though we were already confirmed on the flight. We did not show on the upgrade list. We were cleared into the two first class seats that opened up, our economy seats were given to others on the stand by list and no one on the upgrade list cleared. You can't always see the full picture by just looking at the stand by and upgrade lists. Those passengers listed on the stand by list could've been in the same situation that we were and AA should absolutely be moving paid first class passengers up before upgrades.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:03 pm

Last week Hunny and I were flying back to JFK from SFO, we were wayway down the upgrade list. Flight is almost full, a non-rev got on as a SBY, just before the door closes a GA came on and handed her a 1st Class BP. She says thx and a good thing I did you as you told me(my guess is someone made a res for a 1 way FC seat and that person didnt show p) She told the GA I owe you.

Now I would have thought that a Biz passenger would have gotten it and the person in Y in the #1 slot get the now empty Biz seat. We were seated in the row right behind them so we heard and saw everything very clearly and were amazed how The GAs still pull this stuff
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by theroz
Last week Hunny and I were flying back to JFK from SFO, we were wayway down the upgrade list. Flight is almost full, a non-rev got on as a SBY, just before the door closes a GA came on and handed her a 1st Class BP. She says thx and a good thing I did you as you told me(my guess is someone made a res for a 1 way FC seat and that person didnt show p) She told the GA I owe you.

Now I would have thought that a Biz passenger would have gotten it and the person in Y in the #1 slot get the now empty Biz seat. We were seated in the row right behind them so we heard and saw everything very clearly and were amazed how The GAs still pull this stuff
There are no complimentary upgrades from J to F. So, unless someone was waitlisted for F using a SWU or miles+copay, there is no shenanigans here. AA will not cabin roll J to F unless J is oversold.

nonrevs clear standby into the highest available class remaining. In this case, F. It is pretty common on this route.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
There are no complimentary upgrades from J to F. So, unless someone was waitlisted for F using a SWU or miles+copay, there is no shenanigans here. AA will not cabin roll J to F unless J is oversold.

nonrevs clear standby into the highest available class remaining. In this case, F. It is pretty common on this route.

Thx for the lesson, had no idea that this was the case , as I said above it didnt take it away from either of usn since we were so low down on the pole,and just thought that someone in J was passed over. Now I know that wasnt the case at all, thx
Old May 3, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Actually confirmed witnessed this myself on Sunday evening on my DFW-MOB flight, AA3678. Thankfully didn't affect me since I bought First. But anyways, I was just observing the gate screens, noticed that a standby got cleared into First Class as well as one person from the UG list, there were 2 open seats. But there was also two people left on the UG list despite a seat going to a standby. I reached out to a couple friends I know who work for AA to investigate if this was a non rev or someone without an assigned seat or something of that nature. Upon further review, the standby that was cleared into First Class was a D2 non rev with the two people left on the UG list being a Platinum and a Gold respectively. The non rev then ended up no showing, and even after that point, the gate agent STILL made no effort to put the #1 on the UG list into that F seat. Apparently the only time this should happen is if the people on the UG list declined the upgrade, but that's also visible in the system, and that was not the case, so the agent broke protocol in this instance.

This didn't affect me personally like I said, so I didn't do anything with that information, I was just curious. One of my friends however decided to write up the gate agent after seeing what happened for going against the system and the published priority list.
Spiff and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Is this an observed event you are hoping to understand, or you know the two not-upgraded people and they tried to apply upgrade currency and were not reaccommodated?

Within the last six months to a year the standby list, and the upgrade list, have been computerized to take them out of the GA's hands. It is apparently difficult to override, which was part of the intent. Both happen several minutes earlier in the boarding process than when under manual control, and there is a point you can no longer join either list (and apparently upgrades stop).

As a frequently-standby last-minute-booking flyer my anxiety level about getting on the plane has gone way down. But I almost never get the front anymore. But as a I bounce between Gold and Plat I know not to expect it. 25 years ago they were good enough things happened for me. Now gold is a dime a dozen. Plat is not that much better (other than boarding group).

Last edited by jayer; May 3, 2024 at 4:08 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.