Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Upgrades Employee before Elite

American Airlines Upgrades Employee before Elite

Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Just want to give a big shout out to a couple of FT'ers who've added hard information to this thread:

steve64
merrickdb

and especially, Herb687

Thanks for adding "the real deal" to the conversation - the nonrev is always a grey, unknown area for me.

All the best, James
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust
This is pretty interesting news -

Everyone figured that with CK that would be the upper-most upgrade tier but then they threw a curveball and introduced the allergen pre-boarders.

Now amongst the angst and confusion of the LP program, they slip in a new tier (carefully labeled "Employees" into the mix). This pretty much makes CK the new boarding group 4.

Now just like the ambiguous goalpost of CK, how on earth does one get this new 'Employee' status?

PS: fdog I'm only mildly offended that I didn't make your list.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:53 pm

Does anyone know if the old CEO Robert Crandall days where Board Members and their family all received POSITIVE FIRST CLASS SPACE on any flight still exist or are those days gone?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by Centurion
If you folks think games are not played for employees you are naive.
take a look in the mirror. Shill OP and delusional people thinking non revs get upgraded before paying passengers. They dont.
757FO likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by Spanish
Welcome to the Flyer Talk site, Hotelwings!

You'll always find an interesting discussion here on the AA forum.
Hes not new to the forum. Simply a troll that is creating rumors and confusion with zero evidence . Employees do not get upgraded ahead of confirmed upgrades.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:45 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Arent Y to F staff upgrades easily explained on three class aircraft by the fact that revenue pax arent upgrading J to F without using a SWU?

This is sort of an evergreen topic. Someone .....es about getting passed over, then we explain the various scenarios why it might actually be legit. Phase 3 profit.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
I've been freinds with AA employees, who them themselves, tell me, and brag about how they have, a majority of the time, skipped executive platinums, and so on, on the upgrade list, and I'm talking about elite heavy routes like Hub to hub. Unfortunately, employees themselves will attempt to debunk this massive issue, as for them, it benefits them. I've seen this happen multiple times, its happened to me multiple times, I've called out gate agents who forced non revs to give up their first class seats before, cuz as an AA elite (well not anymore), I want to be treated with the loyalty I used to give the carrier.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Hotelwings Welcome to FT. Hope you keep contributing to FT

What you do not know is the reason why those 6 were travelling and what they are entitled to under their union labor contract. They may not have been "upgraded" but entitled to fly up front from the start.
There is a difference between AA employees travelling for work(duty) and those travelling for themselves(off duty commuting etc)

We get threads like this every few weeks (often a rant). The threads can get locked
Hey, I was on that flight, and none of them were wearing employee uniforms, so no, they were not traveling for duty, and had that been the case, lets not sugar coat the deeper issue going on here. I would've been more than glad to let them take the seat had they been deadheading, or on duty, which I highly respect and acknowledge, but this wasn't the case here, and nor is it the case the majority of times issues like these happen.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
The level of pushback in here to the OP is mildly surprising, one would have thought fellow elites would be sympathetic to the upgrade inventory being snatched up unexpectedly (when it is of course something AA uses to sell the program!). I'd be very miffed myself if EF showed 6 open seats and I was #1 and didn't clear tbh.

I also think that anyone who has done the volume of travel needed to be status'd, its not that difficult to pick out non-revs not in uniform in my experience.

I posit that the staffing challenges have likely shifted the balance of power to the rank and file, thus there's probably more propensity to 'chance it' given the less likelihood of severe repercussions to past times (which itself would be borne out by the anecdotes of GAs rolling back an UG for someone else when a pax has complained, obviously the 'downgraded' pax must be AA otherwise it wouldn't happen). Its not just this thread either, there was a particularly egregious example on a CLT-HNL service where a member was proactively downgraded from F to PE.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I'd be very miffed myself if EF showed 6 open seats and I was #1 and didn't clear tbh.
What bucket does complimentary upgrades pull from? Whatever it is EF doesn't show it (unless I'm off my rocker which is quite possible). C space for SWU or mileage upgrades yes, but I didn't think the comp bucket was viewable.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian
What bucket does complimentary upgrades pull from? Whatever it is EF doesn't show it (unless I'm off my rocker which is quite possible). C space for SWU or mileage upgrades yes, but I didn't think the comp bucket was viewable.
Yup, C is viewable on EF!
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are AA crew entitled to FC when traveling for training or requalification purposes?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Yup, C is viewable on EF!
I thought complimentary and 500-mile upgrades came out of X which EF no longer displays.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by _kurt
I thought complimentary and 500-mile upgrades came out of X which EF no longer displays.
Yes that's what I meant. I know C is available but was asking about comp upgrade bucket.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are AA crew entitled to FC when traveling for training or requalification purposes?
No, not entitled to confirmed first class. They'd be able to standby for upgrades to FC but would appear on the Priority List as UPGE and be upgraded only after all revenue pax requesting upgrades have cleared. At least that's how it is supposed to work!
Spiff, fdog, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.