Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Upgrades Employee before Elite

American Airlines Upgrades Employee before Elite

Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Welcome to the Flyer Talk site, Hotelwings!

You'll always find an interesting discussion here on the AA forum.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I had never considered airline employees commuting on paid tickets, vs passes. Curious how common that is it makes sense but would get really expensive for them, at least at cabin crew pay levels. I wonder if they de-uniform so they at least arent subject to the hassle of being in uniform when not getting the benefit. (Im used to ex-Soviet cargo charters where they put uniform on when on duty solely inside the airport terminal, then transitioned to t-shirts and stuff so they could drink while on the ramp and on the aircraft.)
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

I've seen some shenanigans this year including:

I've sat at the front of MCE on three cabin LAX-JFK and saw a gate agent come onboard to pull friend/family members to the front with some even yelling "xxx is hooking it up!". A flight attendant later comes over to greet a passenger who I assume is at the top of the upgrade list and apologizes for not being able to upgrade him while handing him a bottle of water.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I had never considered airline employees commuting on paid tickets, vs passes. Curious how common that is
I would guess very uncommon. It's more common to have to positive space commuting pilots/FAs than the other way around. If I can stereotype the two groups of people, "cheap" is one of the first words that comes to mind, so I'd be very surprised that a large group pays on their own dime. The alternative is usually a call with crew scheduling that ends with "well if you really need me, you need to positive space me."
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
A flight attendant later comes over to greet a passenger who I assume is at the top of the upgrade list and apologizes for not being able to upgrade him while handing him a bottle of water.

I would have gotten the name of the flight attendant doing this and report it to AA asking "is this normal procedure when not upgrading elites?"
GrumpyYoungMan and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by skylady
If no elite's are using an upgrade instrument, then those seats are available for employees to upgrade. There is no "monkey business" here. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Good morning skylady, can you amplify on this? It sounds as if an employee is ahead of elites in battlefield upgrade(s).....? If true, it seriously reduces incentive for loyalty.

Not being snarky, a genuine curiosity here.

Thanks!

All the best, James
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

I've seen some shenanigans this year including:

I've sat at the front of MCE on three cabin LAX-JFK and saw a gate agent come onboard to pull friend/family members to the front with some even yelling "xxx is hooking it up!". A flight attendant later comes over to greet a passenger who I assume is at the top of the upgrade list and apologizes for not being able to upgrade him while handing him a bottle of water.
The "hooking it up" could well have been to F if someone didn't show up. Whereas upgrades are for 1 cabin only, so if J was full, water bottle person's UG wouldn't have cleared.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
While it doesn't solve the problem, this is one of many reasons we just pay for first now. If we can't afford a seat in F, we simply don't travel. I understand there are instances and circumstances where one must fly regardless of cabin, but upgrades these days are a laughable commodity even without shenanigans unless you're CK, or EXP on domestic wide bodies or non hub-to-hub narrow-body flights. The back of the plane these days is just filled with more shenanigans these days than a few rogue employees "monkeying" around, than is worth our sanity to deal with.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What you do not know is the reason why those 6 were travelling and what they are entitled to under their union labor contract. They may not have been "upgraded" but entitled to fly up front from the start.
Things change but aside from executive management who can travel NRPS even for personal travel (A2P, A4P, A6P, etc.) I am not aware of any category of employee travel that would be allowed to confirm first class.

There are certain categories of NRPS crew travel (A1, A3) that are considered must-ride but unless something has changed the must-ride only gets them on the flight and does not allow for an upgrade until after all revenue passengers requesting upgrades have been accommodated.**

**In the back of my mind I think there may be some exception for pilots traveling on certain very long flights in order to cover a trip. Note that the AA pass classifications differentiate in priority between deadheading to cover a revenue trip and deadheading after flying a revenue trip.

Regular management travel on company business/family emergency (A9, A10, A11) certainly come after all revenue pax with regards to upgrades.

And while I have no way of quantifying how often it happens, those who deny that revenue pax requesting upgrades are occasionally bypassed in favor of employees are clueless. I make no claim of how frequently she shows up on AA flights but you bet your bippy that at least sometimes Shena N. Igans is flying in first while an elite is stuck in back.

Originally Posted by fdog
It sounds as if an employee is ahead of elites in battlefield upgrade(s).....?
They are not, with a possible number of extremely limited exceptions.

As for Shena N. Igans, she does exist and she does occasionally wrongfully occupy F/J seats while you're stuck in back.
Spiff, fdog, TheDudeAbides and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by Hotelwings
Who's noticing American Airlines upgrading their own employees before elite status paying cusomters? I'm Executive Platinum, 175K this year. 150+ segments. Have witnessed several times employees get the last 3 or 4 first class seats before paying customers. Not just once or twice, have witnessed this first hand about 20+ segments the past few months.

Who else is seeing this with American Airlines? How can we constructively inform the loyalty program management about this monkey business the staff seems to be pulling off?

Side note. Seems to be more frequently with the old timer self entitled legacy AA staff and not so much of the original perky America West employees.
Hmmm.... In 25+ years of working for my airline, and tons and tons of non-rev flights, I honestly can say I have never seen this happen. My fianc who is with AA is equally confirming the same. Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's pretty rare.

That said, at UA, deadheading United pilots, traveling as passengers en route to a flight they’re scheduled to work, do get to sit upfront.
GlobalMatt and jerseytom like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
How can you guys even tell who is a non rev from the upgrade list.... i guess i just always look at where I am and hope for the best
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by miadukes
How can you guys even tell who is a non rev from the upgrade list.... i guess i just always look at where I am and hope for the best
They cant. The OP is a troll. If an CK or EP travels weekly between JFK and LAX do you think they would know some FAs. This thread is moronic.
BWISkyGuy, DASRTR and meechyathere like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by skylady
If no elite's are using an upgrade instrument, then those seats are available for employees to upgrade. There is no "monkey business" here. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Hate to contradict you but I have seen it a number of times witnesses the chattering at the gate then there they are in first class yakking away with working FA's. Happy to had my auto upgrade on fare.
Spiff, fdog, jhalapin and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Herb687
As for Shena N. Igans, she does exist and she does occasionally wrongfully occupy F/J seats while you're stuck in back.
While I have no solid evidence of this happening on AA, I do have a friend that has near-ZERO (2 years) seniority as an FA with DL who flew with her friend in Delta One on a fully-booked flight where they were initially in row 500 yet magically found their way to the front of a fully booked 767 after boarding.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:32 pm

If you folks think games are not played for employees you are naive.
Catbert10, fdog, 96SS and 5 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.