Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

AA changed my flight without notifying me.

Old Nov 21, 21, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I have a confirmation email showing I booked AA213 LAX to FLL non-stop, first class, using AAdvantage miles. When I checked my status online I now see LAX to DFW flight 413 then DFW to FLL flight 608. I was never notified. All the times changed and is much less convenient. Is this something they do?
Old Nov 21, 21, 5:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Unfortunately, yes. When AA makes a schedule change, they SOMETIMES notify customers, and sometimes they do not. When they do, I've noticed they sound out the notification about 1 month after it actually happens. It's pretty awful their IT is that bad.
Old Nov 21, 21, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What day is your flight? This was likely due to a schedule change. AA made very significant changes to the January and February schedules last weekend (mostly lots of flight reductions). Large scale schedule reductions have been common among the carriers during Covid and booking flights more than a couple months out tends to be risky as their schedules are not very stable that far out.

LAX-FLL had been scheduled to run 2 times daily in January and February, but they cancelled the AA213 daytime flight last weekend and now only have the red-eye during those months. AA213 is now currently scheduled to start on Mar 3rd and run through Mar 26th. I assume you mean you are now on AA1413 and not AA413. It could be they simply haven't sent out a notification to you yet (as noted above, these are not always sent immediately).
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 21, 21 at 5:41 pm
Old Nov 21, 21, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by johnasmith View Post
I have a confirmation email showing I booked AA213 LAX to FLL non-stop, first class, using AAdvantage miles. When I checked my status online I now see LAX to DFW flight 413 then DFW to FLL flight 608. I was never notified. All the times changed and is much less convenient. Is this something they do?
Does the sun rise in the east?
renila, wrp96, Spanish and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 21, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
You would have been notified but it is not instant. The reservation is in a reissue queue based on flight date and once the ticket is reissued you would have received an email with the new flight details and ticket #.
aj411, ijgordon, BWISkyGuy and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 21, 7:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
When are you scheduled to travel?
You could always contact AA (phone, chat on the app, DM on Twitter) and try to get better flights. If there's no nonstop LAX-FLL, they might even move you to LAX-MIA. I'd check the current schedule for your dates, see what else is available, and have a few options handy before contacting them.
Old Nov 21, 21, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I've had this happen to me a couple of times. This is why I always check all of my reservations twice a day (at least). If they make a schedule change that doesn't work for me, I call ASAP. It would be nice if they proactively notified people, but as others have noted, you can't depend on them to do that.
Old Nov 21, 21, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Second aztimm's recommendation. Look and see what routing you'd prefer. I wouldn't count on it but you might even be able to get one of the Flagship flights from LAX to MIA. Or maybe a connection with lie-flat seats. They will be way more flexible in this situation, but you can't get what you want without knowing what you want.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
You would have been notified but it is not instant. The reservation is in a reissue queue based on flight date and once the ticket is reissued you would have received an email with the new flight details and ticket #.
I have a ticket that i noticed now over a week ago changed zero emails and i searched which checks all spam and junk folders.

The rerouting AA automatically did for me literally makes no sense and is terrible. Sill have not gotten an email.

I am going between two small airports which happened to have a good connection. AA changed my "first class" award ticket to an overnight IN Philly and coach on of the flights! I do see better options then that. I guess i would consider flying into a larger airport at the destination end too. I tried to call AA a few times and hold times were just too long, i got an agent once but he just kept telling me since its a webfare i can cancel and rebook, really useless and just wanted to end the call and cancel my ticket. I had him do nothing.

The "change" option on the website says since i had a saver award ticket changes are not allowed but i can cancel and rebook. It does say at the top my itinerary has changed. I purchased it months ago for early January. The problem is its a ski airport and the prices have all shot thru the roof now. Like everything is triple the miles i paid now. I bought it far ahead to get a a good deal, seems really poor on AA to make me dish out alot of extra miles because of their schedule change. they cant blame this on the weather a month ahead. AA has changed every flight in my itinerary, turned my single connection into 2 connections and added an 8 hour overnight in Philly(lame). Since this was a forced schedule change due to their timetable changing, would they allow me to change my destination airport so i can keep a one connection? Poor AA customer service, and no email what if i didnt login they moved me to a flight 2 hours earlier too not even later! Not thrilled with AA right now
Old Nov 22, 21, 12:39 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Diamond
Wow, this sounds awful. I had a very minor schedule change on a Delta award ticket, and I was able to change it online at no additional cost to any of the other flights that day. I was surprised they let me do that with an award ticket--I remember always having to fight with the old USAir about award ticket changes.
Old Nov 22, 21, 4:02 am

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
EU has some regulations compensating flyers if flight's been changed less than 7 days before, regardless if they've been offered an alternative or not.
I haven't heard of such matching regulation in US, though.
Old Nov 22, 21, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Same, had AUS to MIA in Feb, and doing my biweekly flight surveillance I discovered my change to a later, and unworkable flight with an illegal (for AA and MIA) MCT.

This one is through a TA, so I emailed my fantastic TA, and he is working on it. It connects to a flight to SCL, which also changed. I should be able to get an earlier flight and spend a little quality time in the FL now.... I hope
Old Nov 22, 21, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GfL
In mid-October I booked a January trip to LAS; the flights/times had changed by the time I checked on it last week. I got the email notification of the change two days ago (who the heck knows when the change was actually made). The times are, of course, worse, but they’re not dramatically terrible so I’m just going to leave it as is. The one thing that worries me is that I now have a far tighter connection at DFW. I’ve had issues there before in winter with ice storms so it’s making me a little anxious.
Old Nov 22, 21, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
In mid-October I booked a January trip to LAS; the flights/times had changed by the time I checked on it last week. I got the email notification of the change two days ago (who the heck knows when the change was actually made). The times are, of course, worse, but theyre not dramatically terrible so Im just going to leave it as is. The one thing that worries me is that I now have a far tighter connection at DFW. Ive had issues there before in winter with ice storms so its making me a little anxious.
Agree with your dislike of short connections in DFW. I've been burned there before (ended up flying to HNL in Y rather than F) so I now make sure the DFW connection is quite sufficient.
fdog likes this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 10:13 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
When are you scheduled to travel?
You could always contact AA (phone, chat on the app, DM on Twitter) and try to get better flights. If there's no nonstop LAX-FLL, they might even move you to LAX-MIA. I'd check the current schedule for your dates, see what else is available, and have a few options handy before contacting them.
Every time I've contacted them with suggestions in hand, my success rate has been 100%. Make their job easier and you'll usually get what you need.

All the best, James

Search this Thread