Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines will build a new 15,000-square-foot lounge in Austin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...s-club-austin/

The Fort Worth-based carrier unveiled plans on Tuesday to build a brand-new lounge in the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS).

At more than 15,000 square feet, the new Admirals Club, located near Gate 14, will have room for more than 250 passengers and will break ground next year. When it opens, it’ll be the largest lounge in the airport.
Hopefully, the food will be at least decent?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:03 am

Now that Centurion is off the table for AUS, my only hope is for PP to partner with salt lick... the only good lounge in AUS is SkyClub.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:09 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The rendering looks great. Unlike some others, I didn't mind the design of the recently opened and renovated Admirals Clubs, but since they all look the same, it does get a bit old after awhile.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I wonder if AA is going to swap gates with WN. The proposed location is down near the other end of the terminal from the current AA gates, although it's really not that long of a walk.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What will happen to the putting green?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I wonder if they will reorganize their gates? Currently AA's gates go from about 20 (maybe 18?) down to 34. While it isn't miles or anything, getting from 14 to 34 could be a little hike, especially when the airport is busy. Gates 14 to about 18 are WN gates, and the lines drift out into the terminal during boarding. The AS gates are mixed with AA gates, but the B6 gates are low, near the DL gates. Would be nice to have all 3 close together. BA uses gates 1-2, but I don't think they have a choice.

It has been noted multiple times that the current lounge just bursts at the seams prior to the BA flight. Heck, even during, "quiet," mornings, it is busier than I'd expect. Perhaps if this lounge is decent enough, I'd consider paying to go to it. With the additional nonstop flights from AUS, it would definitely be worth considering.

Last edited by aztimm; Nov 16, 2021 at 4:03 pm
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
And for those who prefer not to rely on the blogs, here is the AA press release:
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...WYqsJP7SJwy5KU

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines will break ground soon on a new 15,000+-square-foot Admirals Club at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS). The lounge can seat more than 250 customers, making it the largest airport lounge in Austin, Texas. Construction on the new lounge, which will be near Gate 14, will begin next year.

“Austin has such a unique energy, with its fascinating mix of technology and arts. American wants to create a club that reflects that eclectic style and pays homage to the lively music scene,” said Clarissa Sebastian, Managing Director of Premium Customer Experience and Onboard Products. “We can’t wait for customers to experience the new space, with much more room to relax, unwind and enjoy.”

The inspiration for the lounge is taken from the city itself, reflecting the urban fabric of Rainey Street, Austin Parks, local art and music. Customers can get a taste of the Austin vibe throughout their experience in the Admirals Club. Once open, customers will also be entertained by local musicians.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by lsquare
https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...s-club-austin/

Maybe they can get Torchy's to cater!
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Now that Centurion is off the table for AUS, my only hope is for PP to partner with salt lick... the only good lounge in AUS is SkyClub.
Why is a Centurion off the table?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
https://viewfromthewing.com/austin-a...off-the-table/
Old Nov 17, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
AA has needed a larger lounge in Austin for a very long time, so this is good news.
NickP 1K, Abidjan and teemuflyer like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97
AA has needed a larger lounge in Austin for a very long time, so this is good news.
Totally agree, especially when the full to the brim BA flights return in earnest.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Maybe they can get Torchy's to cater!
Overrated, IMHO .

However, I hope they will introduce more robust food offerings, including scrambled eggs (sort of), avocado toast with the same toppings as at many of the DFW ACs and a prime BBQ joint (as if). More local craft beers on tap would be a nice addition too..
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Now that Centurion is off the table for AUS
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I think AA's decision to build a new lounge may change this, because the current AA space should become available, perhaps in addition to the space that AUS bid out for the un-awarded contract? American Express could open a real Centurion Lounge, they don't have to work through Escape.
CLT likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Won't it be the same as the other Admiral's Clubs?

I mean literally the same. They just ritualistically move the ancient carrots and celery around between clubs instead of replacing them.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.