Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines will build a new 15,000-square-foot lounge in Austin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines will build a new 15,000-square-foot lounge in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
I don't understand why this is needed in AUS. Maybe expand the current lounge by another 5,000sqft?
Because Austin is a very heavy premium traveler and EXP market. https://simpleflying.com/austin-uniq...ican-airlines/

If you haven't been in the AC in Austin at 0500 lately... it's crowded. The AUS airport is functionally run by the city council, horribly managed, and built out in a hodgepodge manner - early AM security lines can routinely be more than an hour long, INCLUDING pre-check. Folks get in early and want coffee and a place to wait not at the gate.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
The AUS airport is functionally run by the city council, horribly managed, and built out in a hodgepodge manner - early AM security lines can routinely be more than an hour long, INCLUDING pre-check.
Woof. Hour long security lines sounds insufferable.

It was (still is) just a surprise to me that a town so small as Austin with barely two commas in population, and with more people who are already moving to San Antonio instead of/out of Austin given the grossly overpriced real estate, along with the horrific infrastructure in Austin / failure to expand (like Dallas which was built on a master plan, unlike AUS), that AA wants to plop a larger lounge in that city. I guess AA hasn't always been built on sound logic. Then again, AA has a lot of business analysts straight out of undergrad influencing these decisions because of managements obsession with data analytics, so on that basis I would understand. But a 15,000sq ft lounge? Nah.

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Nov 29, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Woof. Hour long security lines sounds insufferable.

It was (still is) just a surprise to me that a town so small as Austin with barely two commas in population, and with more people who are already moving to San Antonio instead of/out of Austin given the grossly overpriced real estate, along with the horrific infrastructure in Austin / failure to expand (like Dallas which was built on a master plan, unlike AUS), that AA wants to plop a larger lounge in that city. I guess AA hasn't always been built on sound logic. Then again, AA has a lot of business analysts straight out of undergrad influencing these decisions because of managements obsession with data analytics, so on that basis I would understand. But a 15,000sq ft lounge? Nah.
Some cities punch well above their weight in premium travel. BOS isn't even top 10 by size as an example. AUS appears to be similar given DL and now AA's renewed emphasis on it.
GlobalMatt and VFR like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Antarius
Some cities punch well above their weight in premium travel. BOS isn't even top 10 by size as an example. AUS appears to be similar given DL and now AA's renewed emphasis on it.
That's interesting. The stats about BOS don't surprise me. Curious what DL and AA are looking at in terms of data for the expansion. My wife is involved heavily in real estate research, but I recognize this is dissimilar to what airlines analyze, hence my confusion.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:22 pm

There are available data on revenue from each local market. For the amount of service and competition, you would think aus is the next coming of sfo. When in reality, it's half it's size.

Aa has made a strategic decision to build up aus against a strong incumbent in wn. It will be a while before we see how successful this strategy is. Right now, they are filling aircraft with a lot of cheap connection traffic, which is a great way to loose a lot of money.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:25 pm

That's interesting. The stats about BOS don't surprise me. Curious what DL and AA are looking at in terms of data for the expansion. My wife is involved heavily in real estate research, but I recognize this is dissimilar to what airlines analyze, hence my confusion.
Apple has their second largest campus in the US here. MANY tech companies make it "home" and have lots of folks back and forth to SEA, SFO/SJC, LAX, and NYC. Amazon, Tesla, Samsung (and they're adding), Indeed, Oracle... all large tech employers. Then add in government-related stuff with Austin being the state capital. Finally finance and venture capital... and entertainment (more tv/film than music these days) and you've got a LOT of folks who travel quite a bit.

It's packed dense and the infrastructure sucks, and the city council couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag, hence ABIA.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Apple has their second largest campus in the US here. MANY tech companies make it "home" and have lots of folks back and forth to SEA, SFO/SJC, LAX, and NYC. Amazon, Tesla, Samsung (and they're adding), Indeed, Oracle... all large tech employers. Then add in government-related stuff with Austin being the state capital. Finally finance and venture capital... and entertainment (more tv/film than music these days) and you've got a LOT of folks who travel quite a bit.

It's packed dense and the infrastructure sucks, and the city council couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag, hence ABIA.
Don't forget the small and up and coming companies, such as Dell, AMD, IBM, Oracle, GM etc... .. The startup scene isn't insignificant either..

I agree on the overall infrastructure challenges, but the toll roads have made a huge difference. I live in NW Austin, and once I get on 183 S, I have zero lights/stops until I get to the AUS airport. Amazing compared to years ago.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Anybody heard any news on the upcoing new AC?

Just wondering if anyone has any insights on the new lounge progress and potential opening date?
Old May 14, 2022, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just wondering if anyone has any insights on the new lounge progress and potential opening date?
Nothing past the initial announcement: https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...1/default.aspx

If anyone, Ben or Gary will get the scoop(s) on this.

YEARS away.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Obviously AA didn't break ground on this in 2022. I spoke to one of the AAngels earlier in the week about plans for the new club. Sounds like AA doesn't know where to put it. The plans to put it in the space near gate 14 fell through. She said they had heard that AUS may build more gates at the high end of the terminal and AA will stop using gates 1-6 as overflow. Anyway, the impression she gave me was that AUS isn't getting a new AC anytime soon. Too bad, because the club is always super crowded now with all of the new flights. The club is literally standing room only in the afternoon before the BA flight leaves.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
The plans to put it in the space near gate 14 fell through.
Source? I'd love to read more on this. First I've heard of it, including city council notes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.