Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines will build a new 15,000-square-foot lounge in Austin

American Airlines will build a new 15,000-square-foot lounge in Austin

Old Nov 17, 21, 10:40 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Check View Post
Won't it be the same as the other Admiral's Clubs?

I mean literally the same. They just ritualistically move the ancient carrots and celery around between clubs instead of replacing them.

At least the coffee is decent now. I still have nightmares about those Nescafe Milano "coffee" machines.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 17, 21, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I think AA's decision to build a new lounge may change this, because the current AA space should become available, perhaps in addition to the space that AUS bid out for the un-awarded contract? American Express could open a real Centurion Lounge, they don't have to work through Escape.
The current space is not really big enough for a Centurion. The obvious choice is to knock out a wall and make the UC lounge bigger. They will need it if LH gears up their AUS-FRA flight.
Old Nov 17, 21, 11:32 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP), MPC Gold, AS MVP
And yet the two tiny clubs at their second-largest hub in Charlotte are hopelessly overrun and crowded, with the C/D club desperately needing an upgrade. Sigh.
Old Nov 17, 21, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Originally Posted by AndyKehn View Post
Now that Centurion is off the table for AUS, my only hope is for PP to partner with salt lick... the only good lounge in AUS is SkyClub.
One of my favorite SkyClub's as well with that crazy concreate stairwell, circular bar, and outdoor area.
Old Nov 17, 21, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Austin? Silly. Try Seattle instead. That AS lounge sucks.
Old Nov 17, 21, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Gold, MMRRT Plat
I don't understand why this is needed in AUS. Maybe expand the current lounge by another 5,000sqft? But I will say that I'm surprised they aren't putting that money into other markets.

-I feel like an upgrade to existing PHL/CLT lounges would be better warranted (adding showers to CLT seems like a no-brainer).
-Why not add FFD to ORD's FL? (Using existing Sq footage)
-Why not put another AC closer to D gates at LGA?
-Improve AC's at LAX/SFO
-Improve the MIA flagship check-in experience (it looks like an outdated Bank of America) and/or hire security in MIA to punch back at unruly pax (lol)

I can think of a lot of other markets than AUS that could benefit from improvements given the business that flies out of the other locations mentioned. I'm not saying pluck 15k sqft facilities in these markets, but maybe dish out some improvements elsewhere, than a major upgrade to an otherwise, and relatively, smaller market.
Old Nov 17, 21, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt View Post
I don't understand why this is needed in AUS. Maybe expand the current lounge by another 5,000sqft? But I will say that I'm surprised they aren't putting that money into other markets.

-I feel like an upgrade to existing PHL/CLT lounges would be better warranted (adding showers to CLT seems like a no-brainer).
-Improve AC's at LAX/SFO
-Improve the MIA flagship check-in experience (it looks like an outdated Bank of America) and/or hire security in MIA to punch back at unruly pax (lol)

I can think of a lot of other markets than AUS that could benefit from improvements given the business that flies out of the other locations mentioned. I'm not saying pluck 15k sqft facilities in these markets, but maybe dish out some improvements elsewhere, than a major upgrade to an otherwise, and relatively, smaller market.
No qualifying F flights out ORD..

Also, Austin is clearly expanding for AA. They probably have multiyear plans that take the AC expansion into consideration. Not saying the PHL/CLT expansions don't make sense, but isn't the SFO one practically brand new, and LAX already has 3 AC lounges.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 17, 21, 2:21 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
<snip>

I can think of a lot of other markets than AUS that could benefit from improvements given the business that flies out of the other locations mentioned. <snip>.
Tesla.

AA added nonstop service from Reno (the Tesla battery GigaFactory is here) to AUS just for them.

All the best, James
GlobalMatt and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Nov 17, 21, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Let's not forget the very real possibility of Samsung building a new fab in Taylor. I'm sure Tesla is a huge driver as well. In reality, a lot of HQ's have been or are in the process of relocating to the Austin area. I don't anticipate, given the ability to be remote, that these relocations will result in a huge influx of new residents, but it could result in a huge influx of inbound business traffic to those HQ's.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Nov 17, 21, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Check View Post
Won't it be the same as the other Admiral's Clubs?

I mean literally the same. They just ritualistically move the ancient carrots and celery around between clubs instead of replacing them.
Here is a chance for AA to finally improve their food and beverage?

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post

At least the coffee is decent now. I still have nightmares about those Nescafe Milano "coffee" machines.
🤣
Old Nov 17, 21, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
And yet the two tiny clubs at their second-largest hub in Charlotte are hopelessly overrun and crowded, with the C/D club desperately needing an upgrade. Sigh.
Fortress hubs arent always on the top of the list. CLT is lower yielding connecting traffic, they're not competing that hard for it.

That's why ORD, LAX and JFK got FLs first. DFW lagged them and PHL is still not done.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 21, 9:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilton/IHG Diamond, LT UA Silver.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Overrated, IMHO
So is In-N-Out, but both would be an upgrade over the current slop!
keyw likes this.
Old Nov 28, 21, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum

-Improve AC's at LAX/SFO

The entire D concourse will be demolished within one year. AA will be opening a larger (at least 12k sqft), new Admirals Club in the mezzanine level of the new concourse of terminal B (fka the central terminal) as soon as the "bridge" is complete. LGA will be appropriately served -- it has real competition.

I agree that CLT needs a makeover (I prefer the small B concourse club unless I am leaving from a far D or C gate -- much nicer and a higher staff to pax ratio than the combined C/D club).

My disappointment is that AA is not expanding into domestic cities where they should compete. MCI is opening a brand new airport next year and AA (the largest of the Big 3 there) has apparently forfeited the entire lounge space to Delta, according to local sources at the city council. BOS has a club far too small for its O & D traffic, to say nothing of the JetBlue partnership. The shared AS clubs are nice on the west coast, but is AA really content to reduce its own lounge offerings to LAX plus OC and SFO (SAN is not a real club, and LAS apparently doesn't warrant a club)?
Old Nov 28, 21, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Once open, customers will also be entertained by local musicians.
Ugh. I thought one of the points of the club was to get away from such noise.

I agree the proposed location will be very inconvenient to AA's current gates.
Old Nov 28, 21, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
AA's competing with DL in Austin. DL just built a brand new lounge that's one of the nicest Skyclubs in the country, maybe the nicest.
GlobalMatt and Antarius like this.

Search this Thread