Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pilots Reject Holiday Bonus Pay Offer to Avert Thanksgiving Meltdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots Reject Holiday Bonus Pay Offer to Avert Thanksgiving Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I'd be upset if my employer offered OT/bonus pay but I never had the chance to accept it because wannabe politicians need to flex some muscle.
I'd be actually upset if i wanted to spend thanksgiving day with my family, but some entitled passengers wanted me to accept some OT im not even interested on.

It works both ways too.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I look forward to being delayed and shorted in regards of goodwill gestures by AA. I'm hoping for another thoughtfully crafted email saying we'll do better to rub salt in the wounds!
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Etheereal
I'd be actually upset if i wanted to spend thanksgiving day with my family, but some entitled passengers wanted me to accept some OT im not even interested on.

It works both ways too.
if it's just optional and incentive to work on days off at 150-200% rate, then that should be okay (up to each individual worker too decide). If you don't, then AA will have to rely on reserves

However, this seems suspicious. Not if you really want people going in sick, unless one side thinks there will be a fake sick callout
Those earnings could then be doubled to 300 percent pay if flight attendants don’t go sick between November 15 through January 2, 2022.
36902BRF and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:03 am

It's a legitimate approach for the union. That said, it is a typical scenario where the union management needs can conflict with the actual member's needs. Union needs more dues paying members so actions that deflate the number of employees is not good for their bank account. Taking action that ends up with more employees needed by the company is good for them. Up to the actual union members as to if they agree with a strategy that eliminates their personal ability to earn extra money.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:53 am

I think the union thinks they're going to be able to use this as leverage for their cause, while I think it has the potential to really backfire on them. In general, the average person travelling at a peak time like this doesn't really care who's at fault, and is going to be annoyed if they get badly delayed or something. If the appearance is that it's an organized effort by the pilot's union, *and* the airline points out how the pilots specifically rejected the opportunity for bonuses knowing full well they planned on disrupting travel, well, I don't think I'd want to be a pilot on the picket line at that point. It could get very ugly. (And I know, they won't be out picketing, but rather hiding at home.) In general, rightly or wrongly, I think most average public feel that a pilot is a fairly well paid position, and I don't really see that they're going to be overly sympathetic over them using holiday travel disruptions to try to force a better contract.

(I'm also vaguely curious what the pilots really think about the union rejecting it without bringing it to membership like the article implies.)
AJSpark, fdog, LETTERBOY and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:09 am

I have a positioning flight booked east coast to LA as a positioning flight for a flight to Tahiti (with a 23 hour buffer) on 11/29. Thankfully booked on points with AA so fully refundable. I just booked a refundable cash Delta ticket and if AA and their pilots don't get their act together in the next week I'll cancel my points booking with them and fly Delta. First world problems I know.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:16 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Free market at work. AA jacks up prices for consumers on holidays because they can. Why shouldn’t the pilots also demand higher pay, because they can?
bbbb, boss315, downinit and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Plenty of people who want to be pilots out there. Many with lots of hours in jets. Pilots are highly paid button pushers. I have no sympathy when they try to extract even more pay by disrupting people’s holidays.
lol imagine thinking that a pilot is a button pusher..if it is so easy why don't you become one 🤦🏻‍♀️
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
lol imagine thinking that a pilot is a button pusher..if it is so easy why don't you become one 🤦🏻‍♀️
Because it is a job with low security, takes a while to get in a place where the pay and benefits are reasonable, and the hours away from home can be a pain. The washout rate from flight schools is very, very low. If you can stomach the price of the training and 5-10-20 years of low pay, you'll make it.

With that said the union does have a point here. AA's offer might seem great but it is very much throwing peanuts at the pilots to try and band aid their staffing problems. Even if you end up working 7-8 hours extra over the holiday weekend, that's roughly about 10% of their monthly pay. So for <1% annual raise, they expect you to leave your family on a holiday and go to work because they did not hire enough people? That would be a hard no for me.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by milski
... they expect you to leave your family on a holiday and go to work because they did not hire enough people? That would be a hard no for me.
If you don't want to work the holiday then don't but don't prevent other people from doing so with the chance of earning some extra cash.

And there are tens of millions of people in the country who will be working Thanksgiving without even a sniff of seeing their family or getting a pay bump for doing so,
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:10 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mvoight
Maybe he could have made it to Teterboro...........Seriously though, aren't professional pilots, with a lot less hours, knowledgeable enough to know what to do in case of engine failure. I just hope they are not going to have labor callouts on Nov 18. That said, does anyone have anything to say about a charter on Omni International?
The day my Celebrity Apex cruise ends in Ft Lauderdale, and that night I have a charter flight out of MIA to USH (Ushuaia, Argentina the southernmost city in the world)
A good friend of mine is an OMNI pilot.

They run mostly 767s and a couple of 777s.

From talking with him all the pilots he's told me about come from other major airlines and go to OMNI. So, they are all experienced prior to their first OMNI flight.

All of that being said in knowing 2 other pilots and 1 aspiring commercial pilot the grind it takes to get to the point of having ATP (what it takes to fly commercial operations) stamped on your license means you've been through lots and lots of training. Plus, at least 1500 hours of flying.

I would trust anyone who's put in that kind of time.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I just hope they are not going to have labor callouts on Nov 18.
Why does your concern start on Nov 18? Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
Why does your concern start on Nov 18? Thanks!
Maybe it's the date for PDB's to begin again
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:50 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by _fx
Free market at work. AA jacks up prices for consumers on holidays because they can. Why shouldn’t the pilots also demand higher pay, because they can?
Doesn't sure their contract already includes higher pay for specified holidays?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
It's amazing how one innocent thread gets sunk instantly by one comment.

I hope There's still room for other reactions to the subject

To me unions are as political as cur congress. tit-for tat. If you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. etc.
I cant imagine why the general public would want to get into this with judgemental for or against unions groups

Now a likely result to us as passengers is what seems to be much more of our concern

I predict we will be screwed as usual and used as fuel to their private arguments
donotblink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.