Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Two One-Ways vs. One Round Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Booking Two One-Ways vs. One Round Trip

Given the absence of change fees, is there any compelling reason, other than protection in a trip-in-vain situation, to book a round trip instead of two one-ways if the fare is the same either way?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:29 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Given the absence of change fees, is there any compelling reason, other than protection in a trip-in-vain situation, to book a round trip instead of two one-ways if the fare is the same either way?
Protection is the only advantage in that situation as far as I'm aware. I've had a few issues with immigration when doing this traveling internationally (returning on a different carrier), but I've just shown them my confirmation of my return flight and they've been fine with it.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've stopped buying round trips and buy two one-ways, unless the fare difference is truly absurd (which it hasn't been recently in my experience). Any screwup on the outbound (cancellation, rerouting, change, etc.) has enough of a risk to screw up the return that I don't have the patience for that.
Uzzar, asnovici, tai4de2 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
There's been some recent discussion about whether, given the recent revision of its contract of carriage, AA still offers trip-in-vain protection.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I've been buying one ways for a while now, as you mentioned, unless its a very quick turnaround, what's the point? Your assumptions are correct. It is usually the same price (pretty much always for domestic) and if you need to make changes, YOU Know the price of each leg, whereas shenanigans could occur if RT.
tai4de2 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:44 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Is it 100% the case that the RT is always the same price as booking the same outbound/return legs? I thought there were some RT fares that were discounted over the 2 one ways.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by PHL
Is it 100% the case that the RT is always the same price as booking the same outbound/return legs? I thought there were some RT fares that were discounted over the 2 one ways.
You can always check your flight, but in my experience, its 100 percent the same within the USA 48 at a minimum, on AA. Someone suggested other places that are in the 500 mile upgrade category would price the same, i.e. Puerto Vallarta, but I actually DID notice a $20-30 difference recently when comparing a RT to 2 one ways.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by guv1976
There's been some recent discussion about whether, given the recent revision of its contract of carriage, AA still offers trip-in-vain protection.
Oh my. What's the consensus?
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Oh my. What's the consensus?
I'm not sure that there is a consensus yet. One of the things I was trying to figure out was whether AA's old contract of carriage explicitly provided trip-in-vain protection, or whether that was just an informal policy. The protection does appear in the old AA Sales Link document for travel agents, but that document is dated a few years back.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PHL
One of the few remaining markets where I've seen a difference is DCA-LGA, which often has significant discounts for R/T over O/W at the last minute.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
I generally book one way as it is easier to manage
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:02 pm

im confused why trip in vain only applies to round trip tickets vs one way?

I bought only one way because I didn’t know my return date specifically.

I got denied trip in vain going b back to a. All I wanted was a ticket back to a.

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I generally book one way as it is easier to manage
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
NYC->EGE and FLL->EGE are currently way less expensive as round trips than one ways.
normcpa likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There is a not-totally-remote scenario in which it is much better to book one-ways.

Assume you are flying A-B-A, and at the time you buy it each leg is $200.

The day before you are to fly A-B, your long-lost (sibling/cousin/child/dog/etc.) shows up and you want to change your outbound flight. By now the prices for each leg have gone to $400. You are willing to pay the extra $200.

When you go to change your A-B-A trip, because of course if you don't show up for the ticketed A-B segment the return will be cancelled, you are told that any change will cause the entire trip to be repriced. Your $200 return will now cost $400. Whereas, if it was a one-way, you could keep it for $200.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by River in Sight
One of the few remaining markets where I've seen a difference is DCA-LGA, which often has significant discounts for R/T over O/W at the last minute.
Ah, have you seen that for last minute fares only? Or for advance purchase too? Let's say, a few weeks ahead of the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.