Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (2021+ consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (2021+ consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
High price for DFW-ANC July 23

I am looking for a fair based price setting with AA (having vouchers) on 7/30/23 for 2 kids and 2 adults.
Yes, being AA the top dog on this route, I cannot believe the start at 1800 and going way over 2500 $ for us.
Do you think there could be a lower price someday or have any other suggestions?
We are unfortunately fixed on that day, arriving the day before from Europe.

Thanks,
Caro

mods: if wrong forum, please transfer
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Carotthat
I am looking for a fair based price setting with AA (having vouchers) on 7/30/23 for 2 kids and 2 adults.
Yes, being AA the top dog on this route, I cannot believe the start at 1800 and going way over 2500 $ for us.
Do you think there could be a lower price someday or have any other suggestions?
We are unfortunately fixed on that day, arriving the day before from Europe.

Thanks,
Caro

mods: if wrong forum, please transfer
Is that price for coach or first? If coach, that does seem a bit high (I'm assuming that is the price per person not a total for 4 people). Out of curiosity though, if you are coming from Europe the day prior, is there a reason you aren't looking to book a roundtrip ticket Europe-->ANC-->Europe?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:56 am

That's the total price for all of us in coach.
R/T is not possible, as some flights are award redemptions...
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
That's the total price for all of us in coach.
Oh...that means it is between $450-$625/person for coach. That I would consider a very, very reasonable cost to head to Alaska and would jump on it.

R/T is not possible, as some flights are award redemptions...
Let me add for this, if you are making separate flight arrangements to get to/from DFW, be very careful. If you have flight delays/cancellations, it can cause you to have a very expensive mess on your hands if you don't have experience at handling these types of situations. There are others on here who do this type of thing, but they typically know the "ins and outs" to work through the system if things go awry. Please make sure you understand the risks of doing this and you know what to do if say your Europe-DFW flight is cancelled and you don't arrive for 24 hours resulting in you missing your flight to ANC.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 19, 2022 at 6:25 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Oh...that means it is between $450-$625/person for coach. That I would consider a very, very reasonable cost to head to Alaska and would jump on it.
At least for now the days of the $99 fare are gone. Unless there's an economic meltdown I see next summer fares for many markets in excess of $1K for coach. I just booked MIA/CLT for next month, a 650 mile trip, with one of the cheaper fare options of $339 rt.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Let me add for this, if you are making separate flight arrangements to get to/from DFW, be very careful. If you have flight delays/cancellations, it can cause you to have a very expensive mess on your hands if you don't have experience at handling these types of situations. There are others on here who do this type of thing, but they typically know the "ins and outs" to work through the system if things go awry. Please make sure you understand the risks of doing this and you know what to do if say your Europe-DFW flight is cancelled and you don't arrive for 24 hours resulting in you missing your flight to ANC.
I am aware of this, as it's a poker game anyway planning flights into the far away future.
But thanks anyway!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Yes, being AA the top dog on this route
You mean "only dog". The quoted price seems very reasonable. I certainly wouldn't expect lower.
ksucats, wrp96, FAA1996 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Dead of summer flights from a Lower 48 hub to Anchorage are going to be prohibitively expensive. I'm actually rather surprised you found a fare this cheap. Just be aware that DFW-ANC in AA economy seats is not going to be pleasant. They no longer run widebodies on this route.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:13 am

It's actually DFW-SEA/PDX-ANC.
A friend even found a price via kayak for about 350$/pax. But this is not possible for us, as I have to book directly with AA, otherwise I cannot use these vouchers.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
This fare is very reasonable for that route. It's not high.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
It's actually DFW-SEA/PDX-ANC.
A friend even found a price via kayak for about 350$/pax. But this is not possible for us, as I have to book directly with AA, otherwise I cannot use these vouchers.
So then you're flying on Alaska metal, not AA.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:35 am

Ticketstock is AA, second leg is AS metal.
Direct flight would be in the lower 2000$
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Ticketstock is AA, second leg is AS metal.
Direct flight would be in the lower 2000$
That's still a reasonable fare of $500 or so per person on a route like DFW-ANC.
ksucats and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheapest fares on AA non-stop are $450 one-way, but require Mon-Thu departures (there are often day/time requirements for cheapest fares in the fare rules). Cheapest fares for Fri-Sun departures are $514 (June 30th is a Friday). It's possible AA will load new cheaper fare filings at some point, but I wouldn't expect them to be much cheaper than what you are seeing now for this particular route. What you are seeing right now on the 30th are the cheapest fares currently available for flying on that day of the week.

Carotthat likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
OP, I would wait until at least 2023 before booking this. There are no "deals" at this early juncture, and revenue management is not tweaking fares anytime soon for summer 2023.

For what it's worth, I have scored under $200 r/t to/from Alaska the last two years (this and last) via IAH and DFW in August. Also purchased the fare around 1.5 months prior to departure - my sweet spot for purchasing US domestic flights

Originally Posted by EXP100
At least for now the days of the $99 fare are gone. Unless there's an economic meltdown I see next summer fares for many markets in excess of $1K for coach. I just booked MIA/CLT for next month, a 650 mile trip, with one of the cheaper fare options of $339 rt.
Airfare is never constructed as the flying distance between A and B.
Carotthat likes this.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 18, 2022 at 11:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.