Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best way to share benefits if you meet someone mid-way through a trip

Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

If I fly from West Coast to East Coast for Christmas, and then have a friend meet me somewhere else for NYE, lets say, Nassau Bahamas, or Puerto Vallarta, but it doesn't really matter, and then we fly home TOGETHER, what is the best way to do this so he can share in most of the benefits?

I would normally say duh, just book one ways, but there are a couple of complicating factors:
  • International 1-ways are often more money, as opposed to domestic where it seems to be extremely rare for a need to book RT for saving $$$
  • Perhaps my flight is GSP-CLT-NASSAU and his is LAX-CLT-NASSAU ... with the CLT-NASSAU being the same flight (cancellations or delays willing, of course) are the chances of getting the second leg PNRs for the first half of this trip merged about a big fat 0? For the return, our legs would be identical.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
In my experience, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Central America (basically all the places that e500s work for) have roundtrips = sum of 2 one ways.

That said, you should be able to call and "link" their PNR to yours for the segments you are flying together. I met my little sister in ORD and got both of us upgraded on ORD-BOS, despite us flying in to ORD separately.
wrp96 and gateH15 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:41 pm

As you said, just get separate one ways is one direction and on the return have you pay for it on 1 purchase and have him reimburse (this way all upgrades are together and on one PNR). Anything else won't be quiet as good. You won't get a merged PNR. Using either certificates or points won't guarantee any upgrade. If you have the status and/or card, you can get the person in the lounge but that's it.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Ah two contrasting replies!
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enichols22124
As you said, just get separate one ways is one direction and on the return have you pay for it on 1 purchase and have him reimburse (this way all upgrades are together and on one PNR). Anything else won't be quiet as good. You won't get a merged PNR. Using either certificates or points won't guarantee any upgrade. If you have the status and/or card, you can get the person in the lounge but that's it.
Why does not having a merged PNR matter?

Certificates and points do not guarantee an upgrade. But that's the same whether you have 1 PNR or 2.

What is the downside to linked PNRs?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I had to start reading the replies before I understood what the OP meant! I thought they meant that they wanted to encounter someone new in their life mid-trip that they did not previously know...like at an airport bar or something!

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

trooper, DC9, scoonee and 10 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by donotblink
I had to start reading the replies before I understood what the OP meant! I thought they meant that they wanted to encounter someone new in their life mid-trip that they did not previously know...like at an airport bar or something!

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

Better yet, meeting that someone new at the Flagship. The thread almost had a bit of an "Up in the Air" feel to it sans Mr. Clooney.
lamphs, Antarius and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: CK or bust
On second thought, ask them to show their card first. If their status trumps yours you might want them to share the benefits with you rather that the other way around.
donotblink and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Better yet, meeting that someone new at the Flagship. The thread almost had a bit of an "Up in the Air" feel to it sans Mr. Clooney.
To be fair, years ago a boy from Grindr invited me to join him with his Delta lounge access. I certainly wouldn't mind meeting someone with clout and money if they're half handsome at the Flagship lounge. Bring it on!
DC9 and TravelerMSY like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:33 pm

Deleted.
DC9 likes this.

Last edited by _kurt; Nov 4, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
To be fair, years ago a boy from Grindr invited me to join him with his Delta lounge access. I certainly wouldn't mind meeting someone with clout and money if they're half handsome at the Flagship lounge. Bring it on!
Is this Delta Sky Club dude the man in question from the original post?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Back on topic - if you both have your trips separately booked but have a common segment, then just call AA and ask them to link the PNR for the segment. You can then request upgrades for that segment as well if it qualify for the 500 miler upgrade certs, and that means the person requesting the upgrade will need to have all the upgrade chits in their account. If the upgrader is PlatPro/EXP, and the companion is something less than PlatPro/EXP, then the upgrader will need to have chits to cover the companion.
Antarius and rill2503456 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
Is this Delta Sky Club dude the man in question from the original post?
No but he would probably have been more sane, albeit less attractive. Surely SOMEONE on FT has a love connection story that doesn't involve an employee of the airline industry... I've definitely made some business deals flying upfront before. People are always shocked because I look barely 20 and know how to sell without "selling" - so surely this could happen. That's what I assumed FLIGHT ATTENDANT on HBO Max would be about... nope!!!

Originally Posted by PHL
Back on topic - if you both have your trips separately booked but have a common segment, then just call AA and ask them to link the PNR for the segment. You can then request upgrades for that segment as well if it qualify for the 500 miler upgrade certs, and that means the person requesting the upgrade will need to have all the upgrade chits in their account. If the upgrader is PlatPro/EXP, and the companion is something less than PlatPro/EXP, then the upgrader will need to have chits to cover the companion.
Thanks, up until my post I didn't think it'd be possible to only link some segments of any given part of a trip. Yea he's a Nada, but I'll be PPro or higher at the time.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:52 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
No but he would probably have been more sane, albeit less attractive. Surely SOMEONE on FT has a love connection story that doesn't involve an employee of the airline industry... I've definitely made some business deals flying upfront before. People are always shocked because I look barely 20 and know how to sell without "selling" - so surely this could happen. That's what I assumed FLIGHT ATTENDANT on HBO Max would be about... nope!!!

Yea he's a Nada, but I'll be PPro or higher at the time.
Hope he's worth a few upgrade certs.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, up until my post I didn't think it'd be possible to only link some segments of any given part of a trip. Yea he's a Nada, but I'll be PPro or higher at the time.
Yup. It's super easy.

Very convenient as I can meet my family, friends or SO in a hub and then they can inherit benefits for the leg we are together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.