Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Only one drink service for 5+ hour flight?

Only one drink service for 5+ hour flight?

Old Nov 1, 21, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Sure, but no one’s asking GAs to process upgrades 2 hours in advance. By the time the plane gets to the gate, they know how many seats it has up front and should process the list for the flight accordingly.
Oh I completely agree that's what should happen but these are AA GA's we're talking about.

Even the AC agents echoed this situation, when I enquired about my chances in the example above (flight was J0 45 mins before) the agent said "there's actually 4 seats open but it's up to the GA on if they give those out or not..."
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post

I had a flight from Hawaii diverted to LAX due to an inflight pax death.
Wait can we talk about what happened here? That is insane and depressing
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Oh I completely agree that's what should happen but these are AA GA's we're talking about.

Even the AC agents echoed this situation, when I enquired about my chances in the example above (flight was J0 45 mins before) the agent said "there's actually 4 seats open but it's up to the GA on if they give those out or not..."
That's the problem It should NOT be left up to the GA.
Spiff and supervillian like this.
Old Nov 1, 21, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
That's the problem It should NOT be left up to the GA.
Agreed. There is no reason this cannot be automated.

We were fortunate that the GAs in BOS last week did process the 4 extra seats. My SO and I were on split PNRs (that whole flight vs trip credit thing) and I had cleared already while she was #1 on the list day of. Fortunately, 20 F showed up and she cleared too.
Old Nov 2, 21, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
6 hours in the air... MIA-LAX in premium economy coach got 1 round of drinks 30 minutes in and then an FA came around with a large bottle of water and cups 1.5 hours before arrival.
Around 2019 I gave actually preference to AA when flying long haul out of LHR - based on this and other threads it's incredible to see how this airline went downhill...
Old Nov 2, 21, 6:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro ,Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by kyleclogan View Post
Wait can we talk about what happened here? That is insane and depressing
it didn’t make the news. The cabin lights came on in the middle of a redeye and the Captain announced we’d be landing in LA for a medical emergency. Paramedics and the airport management came onboard to carry the passenger off on a stretcher then all passengers had to deplane. A new sector and aircraft was added to continue onto PHX which was not my final destination anyways.

Last edited by D3KingAmerican; Nov 2, 21 at 7:08 am
Old Nov 2, 21, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight ya'll. So I'm gathering that it is pretty common to have one drink service.

Another interesting part of the flight with the open first class seats was that we were told that the 6 hour delay was because of mechanical issues with the original plane. The pilots told us that the delay was so long because they had to get us a new plane. About 3 hours into the flight the captain announces that we are being diverted to Dallas because of mechanical issues... So i'm guessing it was not a new plane.

The one silver lining was the customer service response when i submitted a complaint. After we landed in dallas, our departure time to SFO kept getting pushed back because they were waiting for a pilot. I assumed that the flight would eventually be cancelled and decided to book a hotel and get a flight the next morning, fully expecting no compensation for the hotel. AA responded a few days ago and issued a $150 flight credit and cut a check for $100 to cover the hotel.
Old Nov 2, 21, 7:50 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Saw the headline on FT's main page and made a bet with myself that this had to be AA...Clicked on the link and UnfortunAAtely, I won the bet.
Old Nov 2, 21, 9:57 am

Programs: Alyeska Choice Pass, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarJon View Post
Saw the headline on FT's main page and made a bet with myself that this had to be AA...Clicked on the link and UnfortunAAtely, I won the bet.
+1.
Old Nov 2, 21, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PPRO
I have flown about 12 times in the last few months, 50/50 J/Y, and all 1,200+ miles.
Generally, I have found the level of service in F compared to J to be outrageously lopsided.

Search this Thread