Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Business to First Transcon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading Business to First Transcon

Hi! I've called AA twice now asking to be added to the sticker list for an upgrade LAX-JFK. I bought the ticket to via AMEX and am continuing onto Africa, but wanted to upgrade the AA segments. I am platinum (soon to be Platinum Pro), but two agents say I cannot use stickers to go from biz to first. Is this correct?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by busy
Hi! I've called AA twice now asking to be added to the sticker list for an upgrade LAX-JFK. I bought the ticket to via AMEX and am continuing onto Africa, but wanted to upgrade the AA segments. I am platinum (soon to be Platinum Pro), but two agents say I cannot use stickers to go from biz to first. Is this correct?
That is correct.

AAdvantage® elite status members can upgrade from any eligible purchased, published fare in the Main Cabin or Premium Economy to the next class of service (Business or domestic First) for travel within North America on eligible American Airlines marketed and operated flights.

from: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/500-mile-upgrades.jsp
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
With the horrible state AA's "premium' cabins are now moving to F should be the last of your concerns.
757FO, GlobalMatt and olouie like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
In my experience I've only been able to use 500-mile (sticker) upgrades from Main cabin to business on the LAX-JFK route. Only when I purchase a business fare am I able to upgrade to Flagship First, but only through a systemwide upgrade. I've never been able to upgrade to flagship first even after having purchased a business fare through a sticker upgrade.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Seems like a strange policy, but fair enough. I guess the alternative would be to 15K miles with $175 copay each way or try a BizExtra 650 point redemption. Would one clear easier than the other if A inventory is not available?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
To go from J to F, you cannot use 500 mile upgrades.

You'll need either a SWU or 15,000 miles + $175 if ticketed in fare class R,C,D,I or 15,000 miles alone if ticketed in J class.

You will also need 'A' class award inventory to be available to confirm the upgrade.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
The agent was correct. You may only use 500-mile "stickers" to upgrade from Economy to Business on premium transcon routes. From Business to First, you can use miles, Business Extra one-segment upgrade, or an SWU if you have a friend or colleague who is either CK or EXP willing to give you one.

As others mentioned, right now, both First and Business get the same soft product; First is supposed to get better amenity kits and alcoholic selections but often, the catering company doesn't load them so F gets the exact same goods as J.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
first is still better if, like me, you value a bit more privacy. but i do still find J more than comfy for tcons...and frankly find the seat in J to be a bit more comfortable when reclined/laying flat.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
first is still better if, like me, you value a bit more privacy. but i do still find J more than comfy for tcons...and frankly find the seat in J to be a bit more comfortable when reclined/laying flat.
Oddly, I find the J seat more comfortable in bed mode. You would think the F seat would offer a premium experience, but not in this case.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Thankfully, agents were correct.
Antarius and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
If you have miles, they'll usually let you use those if there is F cabin availability. I don't know off the top of my head what fare class that is, it's been a while. Definitely call and ask. They'll also probably charge you some cash. We just upgraded my wife from J on a 77W full-paid fare that we then paid an additional $500 and 15,000 miles to get her in F for roundtrip. Saved us a couple grand doing that!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You also might get a Load Factor Upgrade offer for cash only
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:16 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
If it's Red-Eye don't bother. J and F have virtually identical Food and Drink, and if you are Napping The Cabins look virtually identical.
enviroian likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by UncleDude
If it's Red-Eye don't bother. J and F have virtually identical Food and Drink, and if you are Napping The Cabins look virtually identical.
Since COVID, J and F always have identical food & drink. Even before COVID, they were starting to come into parity. But in the last two years, they're identical. So close in fact that, often I get a J menu in F.
Antarius and enviroian like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:53 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Seems like a strange policy, but fair enough.
Couldn't agree more - it truly defies logic. The only real advantage is access to FFD.
jcatman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.