Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Meltdown 10/31/21

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:41 am

Instead of waiting in a long line to get a hotel stay, I just found my own hotel. How do I get reimbursed?

everyone yesterday on phone and chat said go to counter at airport to arrange a hotel. I went to the priority desk at check in and the lady said go online to refunds…
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yup, stuck in Curacao. No flights until Wednesday.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Anything above that is voluntary. AA was offering 150% pay to flight attendants who picked up trips over this past weekend; there just weren't enough takers.
Sound like they should've offered more than 150% pay to get more takers then.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
What did they say when you asked to be put on other carriers? Let me guess "it's weather".

BS.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Airlines have been hiding behind the "weather" excuse forever, it's ridiculous.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Instead of waiting in a long line to get a hotel stay, I just found my own hotel. How do I get reimbursed?

everyone yesterday on phone and chat said go to counter at airport to arrange a hotel. I went to the priority desk at check in and the lady said go online to refunds…
I'm interested in this as I thought they recently clarified that no reimbursement, just vouchers.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I suppose there are worse places to get stuck for two more days. Hope you have good travel insurance, and hope you didn't actually have to get home for something important.

Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Airlines have been hiding behind the "weather" excuse forever, it's ridiculous.
Weather is definitely involved, but it isn't the underlying problem.

When there are weather (or ATC or other) disruptions, crews misconnect and end up out of position so additional crews are needed to cover the flights that they were supposed to fly. If an airline is running with very tight staffing then they don't have those extra crews so flights cancel. When the flights cancel, crews who were supposed to have been positioned by those cancelled flights, whether working, deadheading, or commuting, don't get positioned so more flights cancel.

If you have been running with minimal staffing for some time prior to the disruption, many crewmembers are already tired of flying so much and are less likely to pickup additional trips when the disruptions occur--even at premium pay rates.

The underlying problem is that AA, SW, and to a much lessor degree, DL management underestimated the speed of the recovery when they were making their long-range staffing plans a year, or more, ago. That's understandable as predicting the course of the pandemic has been anything but easy. As the recovery has progressed, most airlines have been a bit optimistic in setting their schedules and estimating how aggressive of a schedule their crew levels could support.

It takes a long time, and lots of money, to hire and train more crewmembers. It isn't something that can be fixed overnight and airlines aren't he only industry that is having trouble keeping up with customer demand.
TWA884, wrp96 and OhDoctor like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I totally get your point. My point is, while weather may have been the initial disruptor, it's unfare to claim weather days after the fact.

If my flight is cancelled because of a thunderstorm, that's on the weather. If my flight is cancelled because the airline is struggling to recover operations started by weather 3 days earlier, that's on the airline.
pigx5, olouie, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It takes a long time, and lots of money, to hire and train more crewmembers. It isn't something that can be fixed overnight and airlines aren't he only industry that is having trouble keeping up with customer demand.
Which is part of the reason the federal government gifted billions to these airlines not to shed staff.
DenverBrian, SS255, pigx5 and 11 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
So I'm guessing that end of the month and first two days of the month are not wise days to book an AA flight for the next few months? Anyone with another perspective?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:28 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
So I'm guessing that end of the month and first two days of the month are not wise days to book an AA flight for the next few months? Anyone with another perspective?
I'd avoid non-essential travel on days that end in the letter 'Y' for a few months ... until spring.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by enviroian
What did they say when you asked to be put on other carriers? Let me guess "it's weather".

BS.
They said nothing available; they also attempted to use the rationale that it was an award ticket....

Lets also note that options are pretty limited. AA is the only US carrier flying here at the moment. Other passengers are stuck here until Friday.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:59 pm

I bought a one way ticket a-b-c. First leg is commuter plane.

stuck in dfw for 2 days. Just want to go b back to a but aa refuses as I didnt buy a round trip ticket , told me to buy a ticket…
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:00 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
I bought a one way ticket a-b-c. First leg is commuter plane.

stuck in dfw for 2 days. Just want to go b back to a but aa refuses as I didnt buy a round trip ticket , told me to buy a ticket…
The magic words in this situation are 'trip in vain', not sure how that applies with just a one-way ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.