Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQM calculation for flight re-booked in different class due to cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold

How does AA calculate EQM for a flight that is re-booked in a different class due to cancellation? I originally booked a first class flight in I, and was counting on the 2x EQM. Due to this weekend's cancellations, that flight was scrapped, and I was re-booked with one leg in economy. Will AA still calculate EQM based on the original ticket I've bought? I really need those EQM.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Call for original flight credit if it doesn't happen.
Antarius and JDiver like this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP-HH Dia-MR Titanium /LT-Plat
Great question I am curious to know as well. Just had the same thing happen to me. Booked and paid into R -first , irrops cancelled and system rebooked , dropped into Y, ironically , was added to the UG list and cleared into first on 1st segment . Not added and completed final segment in main cabin . Posted to account as Fare Class Y x 2 with no EQM bonus and EQD bonus . Tried to call yesterday , as told the wait time was between 3 and 11 hours lol . I am thinking this is a call to the AAdvantge team and not the regular line agents so I am planning on calling Monday . Please report back if you find out the process
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Of all the difficult things in life, one of the easiest is asking for "ORC" - Original Routing Credit. I've never had a problem getting it.

Occasionally I have done flight changes of various sorts and gotten more miles. When I was flying Delta regularly, rebooking would often switch into full Y, which was double miles. AA will sometimes change my fare class in F from A/I/D/R to J, where the former give 2x and J gives 3X.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

On top of this issue, I just learned from an AA rep that my upgrade priority on the leg where I was dropped to Y is just my regular priority as a Gold - I don't get a higher priority because my original ticket was in I. That seems wrong.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP-HH Dia-MR Titanium /LT-Plat
Originally Posted by redtop43
Of all the difficult things in life, one of the easiest is asking for "ORC" - Original Routing Credit. I've never had a problem getting it.

Occasionally I have done flight changes of various sorts and gotten more miles. When I was flying Delta regularly, rebooking would often switch into full Y, which was double miles. AA will sometimes change my fare class in F from A/I/D/R to J, where the former give 2x and J gives 3X.
You are correct its fairly easy , but when wait times are 3-11 hours for 3 days in a row it makes it a tad more difficult. 11/1/21 Update I spoke to an AAdvantage CS agent this AM and she was able to quickly see the error, she created a manual posting , made the corrections and sent me an email. She stated it would take up to 24 hours ,the changes to EQM and the multipliers appeared pretty quickly. I still think the EQD is off by the 30% but I will give it some more time to post.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJ804
On top of this issue, I just learned from an AA rep that my upgrade priority on the leg where I was dropped to Y is just my regular priority as a Gold - I don't get a higher priority because my original ticket was in I. That seems wrong.

Typically, if they refund you, then you are placed in Y with your status

If there is no refund - typically you are a "Displaced FC passenger" and you should have maximum priority - the gate agent should be able to see it and adjust accordingly - I guess the expertise of the GA is what you are relying on for that to work....good luck
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Call. Or DM Twitter. “I’m requesting Original Routing Credit because I was affected by Involuntary Flight Changes.” Be sure to use these phrases.
Spanish and arollins like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Even the leg that I flew in First ended up posting as Y with 1x EQM. I'll wait a few days to see if it changes (and for call wait time to reduce), then call. Thanks JDiver for the phrasing.

I ended up having my original rebooking cancelled and having to stand by - I was first or second on the standby list and made it on two flights (even one in First), so apparently some combination of being "displaced FC passenger" and Gold helped. At one point a gate agent looked at my standby ticket and corrected it because he said the ticket agent hadn't coded my priority correctly.

I have to say that I was impressed by most of the AA airport agents I worked with.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Call. Or DM Twitter. “I’m requesting Original Routing Credit because I was affected by Involuntary Flight Changes.” Be sure to use these phrases.
I ended up calling and got the ORC without too much trouble. Maybe a 20 minute process overall.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJ804
I ended up calling and got the ORC without too much trouble. Maybe a 20 minute process overall.
This also can be done via email. That's how I've always requested ORC without any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.