Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assault on Crew

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by knit-in
According to this CNN report, the passenger went looking for the FA to the back of the plane and punched her twice.
Which means it was no 'heat-of-the-moment argument that got out of hand', but a premeditated attack. This guy needs to go away for a long time.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by bchandler02
The problem is the lack of ability to enjoy drinks reasonably on board, as we have done for many years prior to late 2020. The alternative now is to load up at the bar on the ground and then board. I bet most people would take it alot easier on the ground at the bar if they knew they could have a beer or two once on board.. but.. nope!
The problem is a lack of self-control by those causing these problems onboard (sober, drunk or somewhere inbetween is irrelevant). It is not the lack of alcohol service "causing" the situation
asnovici, scoonee, skylady and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Who pays for the unexpected landing, the delay, refueling, etc etc?

I hope they charge the aggressor.
I agree, but it might require a lawsuit to collect anything
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
But again, the problem is airport bars. Just look at the post in the alcohol thread in which an airport bar at PNS has an ad board encouraging people to take drinks in a a go cup that can be consumed at the gate.
Pretty sure I saw something similar at ORD a few weeks back, found it kinda surprising. Didn't realize that was a thing you could do!

Originally Posted by knit-in
According to this CNN report, the passenger went looking for the FA to the back of the plane and punched her twice.
If that's the case, I feel like that's not from a couple G&T's. Seems more like someone mentally unstable and/or on something. Again just blows my mind.
scoonee likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mvoight
You think that guy has any money? Forget it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
How about the airlines, the FAA and the Courts start going for material felon penalties. Maybe if these disgusting cretins spend a couple years in jail the "word would get around." And birds of a feather flock together. But I forgot it's no longer in vogue to care about the victim, just the poor downtrodden criminal.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jerseytom
These incidents continue to absolutely boggle my mind. Don't know what else to say.
I agree, particularly because the folks at the gate or on board have already held it together and worn their masks at the checkpoint. I don't recall seeing a single instance where someone went ballistic because TSA told them to wear their mask except for ID purposes.

eta: Seeing some more early posts makes me wonder if the difference between checkpoint behavior and terminal/onboard behavior is the access to alcohol post-checkpoint.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Here's part of the problem:
The FBI said it is investigating the incident. The agency said no arrests have been made and its investigation is ongoing.
The guy should have been arrested immediately. Why on earth would they let him walk away following such a clearly felonious assault? It seems like a big part of the problem here is that law enforcement is not reacting appropriately to these incidents.

Originally Posted by bchandler02
The problem is the lack of ability to enjoy drinks reasonably on board, as we have done for many years prior to late 2020. The alternative now is to load up at the bar on the ground and then board. I bet most people would take it alot easier on the ground at the bar if they knew they could have a beer or two once on board.. but.. nope!
No, the problem is people drinking too much, period.

The guy that caused this latest incident was flying premium cabin, so you can't blame his misbehavior on the Y alcohol ban.

Dude next to me in F on PHX-SFO last week put away three minis and two beers on a 1:30 flight. He could barely walk getting off the plane.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW, this passenger was in Business.
wrp96 and Synapseturquoise like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 29, 2021 at 10:55 am Reason: Removed response to deleted post
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
No doubt, I agree, the ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) has a special set of regulations surrounding those traveling with disabilities as well. Having been on both sides of this, answering ADA complaints at an airline and having filed one, I can tell you, even a lawsuit isn't an easy win. Just providing my personal experience. There are sometimes civil penalties that do get imposed though.
Originally Posted by Tack
I understand your concern and I mean no offense, but just being pulled aside and asked if you are fit to fly based on the fact that you exhibit some like behaviors isn’t going to win you a settlement. It’s well within the carriers right, as well as a regulation, that a carrier verifies that a customer is fit to fly if they exhibit signs that they might not be. I wasn’t attempting to pull this thread OT. Just stating that if that passenger was boarded already intoxicated, AA could be culpable. In your case, it’s possible that you could be asked a couple of questions, but If staff is trained properly in ID’ing potential issues, you shouldn’t even know that they have observed you. Passenger gate observation and investigation is no different than announcements and enforcement of airport or inflight mask wearing. Cheers.
If I am asked and they accept my response, I agree, fine. Don't pull me out of line, ask me prior to beginning boarding when it can be done discretely. Anytime someone is pulled out of line it is NOT discrete, it's embarrassing. I don't ask for any special accommodation, because I don't need any.

My comment about a lawsuit was meant if they ask me asinine questions or pry into my medical condition (a BLATANT ADA violation). In that case I would most likely be caused to miss my flight, and at that point, you betcha I'd have a cause of action against them.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by mvoight
Victim reparations can be part of a criminal sentencing. A victim can be a corporation as much as it can be a person.

Originally Posted by enviroian
He was in either F or J. So maybe yes, maybe no.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 29, 2021 at 10:54 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Oh great, APFA has more ammo, now they're going to go after alcohol in F.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was an APFA plant "creating" an issue.
DrMilano and cmd320 like this.

Last edited by FlyDeltaMD88; Oct 28, 2021 at 5:15 pm
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Oh. I haven't seen the video, didn't know that the person in the peach-colored top was the attacker's traveling companion, I thought it was just some random passenger that sat near him.

Funny how one news station reports that AA said it was mask-related, while another reports that AA says it WASN'T mask-related. Guess it's still early to have all the facts sorted out.
(updated- CBS in LA reporting this morning that AA is again saying they believe this was NOT mask-related)

And I guess I'm assuming all the pax had to deplane in DEN in order for Ms. Rose to take that photo of the attacker.

Assuming they run minimum staffing on this flight, getting the injured FA off would put them below the minimum crew requirement to have passengers on board.
Maxwell Smart likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Absolutely appalling.

Crew should never be subjected to this kind of abuse. Throw the book at this guy.
If you really wanted to injure the accused, hit him with a plastic-wrapped dinner roll from the F cabin.
GlobalMatt, wrp96, FAA1996 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder why he hasn’t been charged with assault yet?
Spiff, skylady, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.