Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No meal on 3-cabin JFK transcon in first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No meal on 3-cabin JFK transcon in first class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question No meal on 3-cabin JFK transcon in first class?

Did a brief search and came up empty...

Next week I fly AA JFK-SFO in F at 8:20 pm. I was a bit surprised to learn from both the AA site and a CSR that there's no meal service - the food available is just snacks. Not the end of the world, since my connection gives me time for Flagship dining at JFK and I can pick up something at the airport. But still a surprise and a bit of a disappointment for such a long flight.

A couple of questions:

1. Are snacks in F just the usual chips, etc?
2. For future reference, what's the cut-off time after which meals are not served on JFK transcon flights in F?

Thanks for any help with this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The transcon premium late-night "Snack" service should be more substantial than just a junk food snack basket and drinks. In the pre-covid days, there might be soup, sandwiches, fruit plate, maybe a salad. (Just no big hot entree or ice cream sundaes.) Same applied to the eastbound redeye service.

However.....my suggestion: don't expect anything substantial while the industry still faces catering issues and budget cuts. Eat at the lounge beforehand.

The cutoff for Dinner service is around 8pm I believe. While many Americans have already eaten dinner by 8pm, there are lots of us (myself included) who prefer to eat on the European model, with dinner around 7:30-9:00. (and remember that lots of folks in Spain and Argentina don't even start eating until 10pm at the earliest, especially in summer!)
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The transcon premium late-night "Snack" service should be more substantial than just a junk food snack basket and drinks. In the pre-covid days, there might be soup, sandwiches, fruit plate, maybe a salad. (Just no big hot entree or ice cream sundaes.) Same applied to the eastbound redeye service.

However.....my suggestion: don't expect anything substantial while the industry still faces catering issues and budget cuts. Eat at the lounge beforehand.

The cutoff for Dinner service is around 8pm I believe. While many Americans have already eaten dinner by 8pm, there are lots of us (myself included) who prefer to eat on the European model, with dinner around 7:30-9:00. (and remember that lots of folks in Spain and Argentina don't even start eating until 10pm at the earliest, especially in summer!)
No ice cream sundaes, but yes to a hot entree. Maybe there were only 3 choices of entree instead of 4, but I would be shocked if OP's flagship F 8:20 p.m. flight didn't have a hot dinner. It is not unusual for AA.com to have these late TCONs miscoded, and presumably the phone reps are just going off what their incorrect system says.
ESpen36 and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for the useful replies, folks.

FWIW, even if AA is offering multiple meal choices on the flight, it's not offering making a choice online in advance.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I’m seeing pre-order options for an 8:20 pm JFK-SFO departure in a few weeks. Seems like typical dinner choices.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:06 pm

The choices on the redeyes LAX-JFK/BOS recently have been beef, fish, pasta and a cold grains plate.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There was a full meal in F SFO-JFK on the redeye in June, and in J on this exact flight JFK-SFO in September. I'd be shocked if that has changed.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
FWIW, even if AA is offering multiple meal choices on the flight, it's not offering making a choice online in advance.
This matters how?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
This matters how?
Meal pre-order is useful to reserve one's first choice and not have to worry about front-to-back or back-to-front. Options can run out on board.

Generally I think pre-order is only for named meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and only for the first meal on long-hauls. Once it's labeled a snack, there's no pre-order even if it's substantial, with a printed menu, etc.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:28 am

I have seen pre orders and special meals on these flights
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Meal pre-order is useful to reserve one's first choice and not have to worry about front-to-back or back-to-front. Options can run out on board.
IME hardly anyone eats on the late flights (I usually do not) so this is really not a concern. A very trivial thing to be complaining about.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
IME hardly anyone eats on the late flights (I usually do not) so this is really not a concern. A very trivial thing to be complaining about.
Still - AA has the system and infrastructure for it. Given that F costs a pretty penny, why would you not offer this?
Spiff and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew AA F PHL-SFO in April (with miles) along with my brother. It was a late morning flight.

The F seat was slightly larger than the ones in Y, and there was no meal service at all. As I recall, not even snacks.

It seemed to me to be quite a waste of miles.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigLar
I flew AA F PHL-SFO in April (with miles) along with my brother. It was a late morning flight.

The F seat was slightly larger than the ones in Y, and there was no meal service at all. As I recall, not even snacks.

It seemed to me to be quite a waste of miles.
PHL-SFO is standard domestic F. The transcons between JFK-LAX/SFO/SNA are 3 class with flat beds in J and F.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by Antarius
PHL-SFO is standard domestic F. The transcons between JFK-LAX/SFO/SNA are 3 class with flat beds in J and F.
Understandable that PHL-SFO is not quite the same as the prestige transcon routes like JFK-LAX, but as someone who's about to flyJFK-PHX in F next week, the expectation (at least for those of us who are not road warriors) is that even in "domestic F", for a flight >5 hours, people sitting up front are generally expecting some kind of meal.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Rather than start a new topic, what should I expect on the 8am 77W MIA-LAX in F? In my years of flying Ive always found Breakfast the most abysmal meal outside of some offerings on international F with CX/Ek etc. I assume hot egg dish is the standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.