FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 8:12 am

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

Still digesting it. The big change is that miles flown don't matter (much), rather the focus is on flight spend and CC spend. At least nobody will blame AA for copying others this time.

I am sure many on here will hate it, but I see what AA is trying to do.

jackjennings Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am

tl;dr earning status now tied to "Loyalty Points" which seems to be mostly the same as award miles earning. EXP requires 200,000 which is 18,000 in spend if you're already EXP, or apparently 27,000 if you aren't an EXP yet (because it's 5 base miles per dollar plus elite bonus).

Sandeep1 Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am

No miles devaluation. We live to fight another day.

enviroian Oct 26, 2021 8:15 am

Wow. So this is it. I'm going to take some time digesting this. No more EQM or EQD.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 8:15 am

The changes actually seem pretty well thought out to me. Definitely a concerted attempt to bestow higher status on their most profitable customers, rather than those who happen to fly the most miles.

HadesNL Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am

A double whammy today with AA revamping their programme and Marriott moving to no more award charts......

Dynamic award pricing aswell as $ spend are the new loyalty driven factors for both hotels and airlines.
You can blame expectations that travel will resume prepandemic levels and everyone eager to travel and stay, cashing in points and willing to spend cash to make up for lost times.

source:https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...oyalty-points/

The curse..... it might be starting now!

enviroian Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jackjennings (Post 33675458)
tl;dr earning status now tied to "Loyalty Points" which seems to be mostly the same as award miles earning. EXP requires 200,000 which is 18,000 in spend if you're already EXP, or apparently 27,000 if you aren't an EXP yet (because it's 5 base miles per dollar plus elite bonus).

and the bigger surprise (good for me at least) is now credit card spend = loyalty points too. Credit card spend didn't = EQD's in the past.

CLT Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am

I'm pleased that they are giving everyone an extra two months to earn status for 2022, and the "double-dipping" for January and February seems generous IMO.

I think the changes make sense in a post-COVID world. There are going to be tons of people who earn status just by CC spend alone.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 8:20 am

Originally Posted by CLT (Post 33675472)
There are going to be tons of people who earn status just by CC spend alone.

Definitely. And while many miles "purists" will no doubt be offended by this, it makes sense for AA's business. And honestly, if people are earning elite status without flying much, then the rest of us shouldn't really care much because they will rarely be there to get upgrades anyway.

Adelphos Oct 26, 2021 8:21 am

Am I reading this correctly - there is no longer a bonus mileage / loyalty point bonus for paid first class?

olouie Oct 26, 2021 8:23 am

Wow the increase for EXP requirement is kind of insane.

MarkOK Oct 26, 2021 8:25 am

Good: I like the added simplicity, I like recognizing something for CC spend (maybe I'll actually start using it). For me personally, it will be easier to find ways to maintain a status level, and I much prefer putting some spend on a CC to pushing me over the line than paying time and cash on last minute flight.

Bad: This makes my borderline gold family members, such as my wife, have to get a credit card because qualifying on flights alone is quite a bit harder at the gold level. Heck, earning your way up (from a base member) organically on flights alone to any level is too steep.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 8:25 am

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 33675487)
Wow the increase for EXP requirement is kind of insane.

Is it? It looks like around $18k in spend compared to around $15k currently. Plus now CC spend will count, so it seems like it may actually be easier.

The math on getting an AA branded CC has never made sense for me in the past, but it might now. This is exactly the kind of thinking AA is hoping people will have.

MarkOK Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675494)
Is it? It looks like around $18k in spend compared to around $15k currently. Plus now CC spend will count, so it seems like it may actually be easier.

yeah, for current ExecPlat members. Start from nothing and you would need a status match or challenge (or some decently hefty CC spend to swing) to even think about it.
(you'd need 25K or something in just flights alone, I haven't done the exact math yet)

enviroian Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675494)

The math on getting an AA branded CC has never made sense for me in the past, but it might now. This is exactly the kind of thinking AA is hoping people will have.

Just curious on how you get the 18K conversion? (I'm being sincere).