Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I wish AA would start elaborating more on the LP earnings rate for partners given that we are two weeks away from the start of earning LPs. For example, on the bookAAhotels portal. I've seen some hotels in markets where a $250-300 hotel night will earn 5-6K AAdvantage miles And these are not listed as bonus points, but rather labeled "earn XX AAdvantage miles". Now, if these points all posted as LPs, I could see myself switching a stay from one of my hotel loyalty brands over to one of these offered hotels if it's not that much more in price. However, it's not something I'd matress-run over unless I was coming up short on my year-end total to maintain status. As it seems more cost-effective than buying an unnecessary airline ticket given the higher per dollar earnings.
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Specifics about Credit Card Spend Date Posting to New Loyalty Program

Anyone know how AA will be looking at when exactly the spend begins credited towards elite status?

I have the Citi Executive World CC and my statement ends on January 6th, 2022.

Do you think if I spend during this cycle (even if it's in December), that the dollars I spend this month will be credited to "Loyalty Points" (the new 2022 program?)

I have ton of spend I want to finish the year up for tax reasons, thus the importance of this. If I can get elite on AA via spend, I'd rather do that. If my $$ doesn't credit to Loyalty points because it was made in December, I'll use the 2% back Spark card instead. TIA.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
Anyone know how AA will be looking at when exactly the spend begins credited towards elite status?

Do you think if I spend during this cycle (even if it's in December), that the dollars I spend this month will be credited to "Loyalty Points" (the new 2022 program?)

I have ton of spend I want to finish the year up for tax reasons, thus the importance of this. If I can get elite on AA via spend, I'd rather do that. If my $$ doesn't credit to Loyalty points because it was made in December, I'll use the 2% back Spark card instead. TIA.
Unlike with Delta or United, AA CC spending has always been counted based on statement date rather than transaction date. Unless AA makes a retroactive change, anything spent between now and your Jan. statement should be credited toward 2022.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rgrunnah

In the past, it has always been based on when the statement closes, not when the transactions happen. It's possible that AA changes this practice, but the following verbiage makes me suspect they will continue the current practice (from https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...nge_ExecCard):
  • Loyalty Points will accrue starting January 1, 2022 but will not be reflected in your account until March 2022. Thereafter, Loyalty Points will be reflected as your eligible AAdvantage® miles post to your AAdvantage® account.
We'll find out in March!
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Clearly AA values credit card holders over people that actually fly their airline week in and week out. $40K to make EXP without cc spend is a tough nut to crack. I guess by 2023 I'll have to hope that MCE is now providing free alcohol (although I doubt). Might be time to finally think about DL after my AC membership ends.
I actually emailed AA About MCE going back to normal, as first class/business has been pretty normal since May of this year. The reply I got was they originally planned to bring back free alcohol in September of 2021 but were delayed. I was then told it should be back around January 15,2022. Now this was in early November when I asked this, so we’ll see if any of the new “Covid” variants rain on our parade come mid January or not. But fingers crossed, MCE will have booze in 2022!
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EP
For many people the 10K has been usede to hit another milestone.

Originally Posted by brp
Speaking of which, under the EXP awards, one choice is 10K EQM. Not sure how this makes any sense.

One is already "real" EXP this year as they are getting the award options, there is no need for tEQMs in the current year.
And, since EQM will not matter for qualification next year with the move to LP, even waiting until next year doesn't make EQM worth anything.

Is this just an anachronism (and maybe it will change to bonus LP in 2022?) or am I missing a reason why one might choose this?

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
For many people the 10K has been usede to hit another milestone.
I'm still confused as the 10K EQM is only offered to EXP for the reward. What other milestone would folks hit? Are you talking about the added SWU milestones here? Makes sense although that seems somewhat niche. In the past, someone getting EXP one year could use this in the next year as a boost toward EXP requal, I think. That seems a wider use, so I might expect this to transition to LP in 2022. But, yeah, there is a possible use for EQM even for EXP.

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

With EQDs going away, will Loyalty Points be used to determine my upgrade priority?

• Yes, beginning March 2022 we will use your 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value to determine your upgrade priority.
  • 12-month rolling EQDs will continue to determine upgrade priority through February 2022.
  • To thank our members who earned EQDs in 2021, your starting rolling 12-month Loyalty Points will be composed of a combination of your 12 month rolling EQD value as of March 1, supplemented with Loyalty Points as you earn them. As of March 1, 2023, the rolling 12-month Loyalty Points value used for upgrade priority will be solely composed of Loyalty Points.
Seems to me that AA should be counting starting value for rolling LP using mileage earned for $ spend times the elite multiplier rather than EQD value.

Say you have 10,000 EQD - AA will just add that in on March 1 as 10,000 LP.

However, the equivalent of $10K on tickets for an EXP will earn an 11 times that for LP or 110,000 LP.
So someone who say spends $10K on tickets in Dec 2021 - gets 10,000 EQD and then 10,000 LP for that rolling amount starting March 1.
An EXP who spends $10K in Jan 2022, gets 11x that or 110,000 LP, which will be included in their March 1 start.

AA should be giving you a rolling number of 110,000 LP for those $10K EQD. I guess AA computers don't have the ability to look at EQD going back the past 12 months ( and based on your Elite status for each month) calculate what would have been LP and then roll it.

What do you think? Just using EQD as starting rolling number is not really fair.
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by cova
What do you think? Just using EQD as starting rolling number is not really fair.
I don't believe that's what AA will be doing. I believe I read they will be doing an internal conversion of EQD to LP.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by js1993
I don't believe that's what AA will be doing. I believe I read they will be doing an internal conversion of EQD to LP.
I remember the earliest verbiage on the site explicitly said that.
chrisny2, cova and js1993 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:20 pm

Will there be a bonus for spend on the AAdvantage MileUp (green) card? I use my World Elite card for personal expenses and MileUp for business (to keep them separate). Wondering if I need to get an Aviator card for business expenses so I get a bonus towards status.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

With EQDs going away, will Loyalty Points be used to determine my upgrade priority?

• Yes, beginning March 2022 we will use your 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value to determine your upgrade priority.
  • 12-month rolling EQDs will continue to determine upgrade priority through February 2022.
  • To thank our members who earned EQDs in 2021, your starting rolling 12-month Loyalty Points will be composed of a combination of your 12 month rolling EQD value as of March 1, supplemented with Loyalty Points as you earn them. As of March 1, 2023, the rolling 12-month Loyalty Points value used for upgrade priority will be solely composed of Loyalty Points.
Seems to me that AA should be counting starting value for rolling LP using mileage earned for $ spend times the elite multiplier rather than EQD value.

Say you have 10,000 EQD - AA will just add that in on March 1 as 10,000 LP.

However, the equivalent of $10K on tickets for an EXP will earn an 11 times that for LP or 110,000 LP.
So someone who say spends $10K on tickets in Dec 2021 - gets 10,000 EQD and then 10,000 LP for that rolling amount starting March 1.
An EXP who spends $10K in Jan 2022, gets 11x that or 110,000 LP, which will be included in their March 1 start.

AA should be giving you a rolling number of 110,000 LP for those $10K EQD. I guess AA computers don't have the ability to look at EQD going back the past 12 months ( and based on your Elite status for each month) calculate what would have been LP and then roll it.

One of the blogs suggested your EQD will be multiplied times your elite status percentage, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11 I think? Much better than just x1 and more fair.
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
One of the blogs suggested your EQD will be multiplied times your elite status percentage, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11 I think? Much better than just x1 and more fair.
That is what others are saying. I wonder if they are going to do the multiplier for every flight based on what your elite status was - for those that earned a higher level/s than the carry over level?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:54 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
That is what others are saying. I wonder if they are going to do the multiplier for every flight based on what your elite status was - for those that earned a higher level/s than the carry over level?
I am not confident that AA has the IT to be able to calculate/equivalate every AA member's flights form 2021 at the proper LP multiplier based on the status they were at the time of flying.
However, as i type this, it occurs to me that many AA members likely both started and finished the year with the same status...

I for one organically went up in status in 2021 so i will be interested to see how it will be calculated for me.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
I thought AA clearly explained this on the new aadvantage site:
To thank our members who earned EQDs in 2021, your starting rolling 12-month Loyalty Points will be composed of a combination of your 12 month rolling EQD value as of March 1, supplemented with Loyalty Points as you earn them
So it's your EQD from Feb 1, 2021 through Feb 28, 2022 + any LP acquired Jan 1, 2022 forward in the double-dip period.

EQD's wouldn't have a multiplier, Jan/Feb LP's would for flight spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.