Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by aau
Anyone have experience booking an AA ticket with partner-marketed segments? If so did you get LP based on the price paid or the partner earnings chart?
Not since AA switched to LPs. But prior to that I earned EQM/EQD according to the partner earning charts on partner-marketed segments, even on AA tickets.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aau
Anyone have experience booking an AA ticket with partner-marketed segments? If so did you get LP based on the price paid or the partner earnings chart?
Yes and miles / LPs continue to post based on the marketing carrier
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:42 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by econ
Not since AA switched to LPs. But prior to that I earned EQM/EQD according to the partner earning charts on partner-marketed segments, even on AA tickets.
Originally Posted by golfer20
Yes and miles / LPs continue to post based on the marketing carrier
Thanks. I am surprised. I would expect on any AA ticket, AAdvantage has the ability to determine a price paid breakdown for each segment.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I Booked the Motley fool offer to get the 7000 points. They posted to my account as base miles but they didn’t accrue loyalty points. Did I screw something up?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I Booked the Motley fool offer to get the 7000 points. They posted to my account as base miles but they didn’t accrue loyalty points. Did I screw something up?
When did you purchase? If it's backdated before Mar 1 the LP earned are technically promotional and will be a separate line item, possibly a day later
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
My purchase from Jan posted as base.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
So now that it's much easier to rack up LPs via other means than flying, I've found myself not caring at all about LPs when I fly. For example, I don't buy up to a premium cabin (no cabin bonus) or justify a higher fare or a longer route for miles purposes. Instead, I'm chasing segments (not miles) when I fly so that I can hit the 30 segment mark by EOY.

With that in mind, any tricks to rack up these segments? Here are some questions that come to mind:

1. Do mileage award tickets earn segments? (I know they don't earn miles)
2. Do you earn segments on all partner flights? (I noticed that my recent Alaska Air flight counted as a segment)
3. If a one-way flight has a layover, does that count as one segment or two?
- I'm assuming it's one - which opens up the question of if it's ever worth booking two flights (one for each leg) when the price isn't much higher.

Thanks all
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
So now that it's much easier to rack up LPs via other means than flying, I've found myself not caring at all about LPs when I fly. For example, I don't buy up to a premium cabin (no cabin bonus) or justify a higher fare or a longer route for miles purposes. Instead, I'm chasing segments (not miles) when I fly so that I can hit the 30 segment mark by EOY.
100% agree. I felt compelled to buy F/J for the EQDs even when upgrades would have been easily available. That's changed.

With that in mind, any tricks to rack up these segments? Here are some questions that come to mind:

2. Do you earn segments on all partner flights? (I noticed that my recent Alaska Air flight counted as a segment)
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Two if different flight nos., 1 if the same flight no.
ceebee100, maxwellh and ysolde like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM

- I'm assuming it's one - which opens up the question of if it's ever worth booking two flights (one for each leg) when the price isn't much higher.

Thanks all
Forgive me, but I've noticed folks here referring to segments a few times as of late, so I have to ask: Why are you looking at segments? I can't find anything anywhere referring to a need for segments anymore. What's to be gained by "chasing segments"?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by maxwellh
Forgive me, but I've noticed folks here referring to segments a few times as of late, so I have to ask: Why are you looking at segments? I can't find anything anywhere referring to a need for segments anymore. What's to be gained by "chasing segments"?
You don't get the Elite Rewards (or Loyalty Choice Rewards or whatever the heck they're called now) for PPRO and EXP if you don't complete 30 segments.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by vasantn
You don't get the Elite Rewards (or Loyalty Choice Rewards or whatever the heck they're called now) for PPRO and EXP if you don't complete 30 segments.
That's exactly right. PPRO and EXP in my opinion now have very minimal value versus just Platinum. I mean, the only real benefit of EXP versus Platinum is a higher chance of an upgrade it seems (who cares about more bags) and upgrades on Alaska Air. That's very little add to ask one to earn an extra 125k LPs (75k versus 200k), unless you are earning those 30 segments which changes the calculus a lot.

And thank you for the answers, great to know there's some room to play. To expand on my first one, I'm assuming no upgrades on award tickets unless you are EXP correct? Still, flying F on award tickets just got a lot more interesting for me so thank you!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have a few thousand Avios left so I’ll be looking to do some segment runs later on in the year if I don’t hit those 30 segments before. I’ve seen some award flights for 5k Avios in the past with 4 to 6 segments RT. Couple of those over 2 weekends should put me over the top if needed.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That's exactly right. PPRO and EXP in my opinion now have very minimal value versus just Platinum. I mean, the only real benefit of EXP versus Platinum is a higher chance of an upgrade it seems (who cares about more bags) and upgrades on Alaska Air. That's very little add to ask one to earn an extra 125k LPs (75k versus 200k), unless you are earning those 30 segments which changes the calculus a lot.

And thank you for the answers, great to know there's some room to play. To expand on my first one, I'm assuming no upgrades on award tickets unless you are EXP correct? Still, flying F on award tickets just got a lot more interesting for me so thank you!
You only need Platinum Pro for Alaska upgrades (125k vs 75k), but overall you seem to be spot on.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck during IRROPS. Or if you need to talk to an agent to do something that isn't completely obvious.
maxwellh likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
Thank you! Geez. I totally missed that. It's now painfully obvious to me that there's an asterisk on the Status page.

Was that rule in place for 2021 travel (for 2022 qualification)? I requalified EXP in July last year (via cc spend & bonuses) while only flying a dozen or so segments. I did not receive any additional SWUs in my account at that time (I was still sitting on 4 of them earned back in 2019 and extended through this year, which I just burned in March). I was expecting something about Loyalty Choice Rewards (since they'd been announced already at that point, I believe), but I'd had better things to do than follow up on it . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.