Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:18 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Hmmm , hard to keep up with prediction of how many are ahead of you getting upgraded.

Certainly the competition is reduced based on status if a large percentage don't actually fly

I'm happy to not even compete as long as I get my free bag and shorter baggage check line so no worries about me standing in front of you at boarding
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting started in this program is crazy. $6k on tickets to get to gold; it's $5k just to requalify at that level??

Is there anything definitive on eShopping? Is it just base $1 = 1 point? I suppose if you put that on an AA credit card you'll get 2 points / dollar.

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I don't think anyone spending $200k per year on a credit card spend wants to steal an upgrade as they will probably just pay for FC tickets and not play the game
Plenty of people with business expenses for things like inventory and services they run through their credit cards who aren't in the "paid first class" category of traveler.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Are you claiming that flying thousands of miles for no purpose other than elite status is good for the environment? I'll grant you it is way way (way) down on the list of problems. But in no way a good thing at the margin.
Karen shouldn't really be deciding If someone's trip is worthwhile
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
where does it state you get 11 loyalty points per dollar spent on flights as an EXP?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
where does it state you get 11 loyalty points per dollar spent on flights as an EXP?
See link in post 134
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I mean the incentive to fly the premium cabin is...to fly the premium cabin.
And for AA marketed vs. partners, you have to do the math. Deep discount J will generally earn more on partners, but that was always the same before this as it related to RDMs and EQDs. A $5k+ J ticket will earn much more via AA.
This new system is essentially just like RDMs when flying.
I guess I am thinking more a domestic flight, say 2 hours, where Economy is $250 and First is $350. You might spend the extra $100 instead of taking the chance on the upgrade, to get the 2x EQM. Now you might as well stay in economy and wait for the upgrade, especially with current domestic first service.
Spiff, Clay_C. and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:28 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Go to Earn Miles | Partner Airlines | American Airlines to see earning on American Airlines (I know it's stupid). Shortcut here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
I must be dense because I don't see anything there about earnings once this new program takes effect. It's only showing based on the current/previous earning structure. (It's still showing EQDs...)
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've retitled this thread in an attempt to capture the gist of the topic and changes announced.

~Moderator
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal

Originally Posted by enviroian
It's been that way every since they switched to EQD. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Also, the calculator shows that's not changing.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by obunewbie17
Everyone has acknowledged CC spend being the big winner here. But just know that if Costco ever accepts Mastercard...that's when you'll have a flood of new elites. With my family's grocery bill, I'd probably hit some level of status just off of my grocery bills.
Costco does accept MC, but simply not at a B&M warehouse/gas station. Also - this can be easily resolved by Costco Cash Card, i.e. you use MC to purchase the Cash Card online and spend Cash Card at a B&M warehouse/gas station.

The best part - Costco Cash card is not MS as it is a store-specific GC.

Your tradeoff is any potential cashback from Citi Costco Card (but you still get the 2% Executive bonus if you are an Executive member).

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Karen shouldn't really be deciding If someone's trip is worthwhile
I doubt the demographic you associate that name with would give a toss, but a lot of the younger generations most certainly do.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:33 am
FT

Originally Posted by olouie
That’s only if you are current EXP. For new member it’s $27000 EQD ish. So if you fall of the wagon it’s going to be rough if earning by flying. But yeah the CC spend counting helps but takes away from any illusion that this is a FFP. It’s just a cash gray program for spenders now.
I have to believe they'll have promotions that help offset some of the increase. Hoping for that anyway...
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:34 am
hmv

Originally Posted by carlosdca
For most non-US flyers, it really does not make much sense to chase elite status with a US based FF program for several reasons.
Sure, there are some non-US based folks that have elite status with AA but their numbers are probably a very very small fraction of the elite universe.
(I myself am US based but got BA status one year, just because it made sense then due to a number of particular circumstances)

I don't think the reason is to get them out of elite status. The AA cards abroad are issued by different entities or subsidiaries of Citi for example, not the same bank.
There are behind the scene agreements between Citi and AA that probably don't apply to the subsidiaries in other countries and AA does not care anyway about abroad elites because there are not a lot and don't impact much the bottom line.
While initially being a bit skeptic, I am finding some sweet spots now in the new program. As Platinum I would need 3 annual trips of 12.500 miles flying per trip on for instance BA, in premium economy, to make it to my new platinum status. Flying J would give me 25% more earnings, however, tickets in J are costing more than 25% compared to premium economy. Am I correct with these calculations?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:35 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by hmv
While initially being a bit skeptic, I am finding some sweet spots now in the new program. As Platinum I would need 3 annual trips of 12.500 miles flying per trip on for instance BA, in premium economy, to make it to my new platinum status. Flying J would give me 25% more earnings, however, tickets in J are costing more than 25% compared to premium economy. Am I correct with these calculations?
This is exactly how I earn almost all of my 100k+ EQMs and EQDs every year to make EXP. BA PE/J is the way to go.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:38 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Ben Baldnaza was right almost 20 years ago when, as head of Marketing for US Airways, he said (I'm paraphrasing) - a frequent flyer is not necessarily the kind of customer they wanted. He was always about $$$ loyalty above the mileage runners. This was right around the time when US had very generous bonus offers for mileage runners on dirt cheap fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.