Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Did you have to wait until after your stay for the miles on these to post? Also curious if you booked a non-refundable rate for some time in the future and had a change of plans, would you still get the miles?
Yes and yes.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
So nice of AA to share that with us over a week after the program started instead of only sharing it with bloggers.
Right? I guess TPG will do whatever he can to stay in bed with his corporate overlords.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
For 99.99% of the world it is. For the 0.01% of us FTers trying to maximize things, it's slightly more complex.
Tell me about it! I had this EQD/EQM thing down cold. Now I meed to modify my spreadsheet to be able to include "other" stuff. I already had to add an Award category to add flights that count as segments and contribute no status currency at all. Random "anything" will be interesting.

harder will be planning since this is so unpredictable. I could have a whole year planned out the prior year (basic planning) with flights. Not so here. The plus side is that, given a need tehre are more options than getting on a plane.

Cheers.
vasantn, Antarius and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Tell me about it! I had this EQD/EQM thing down cold. Now I meed to modify my spreadsheet to be able to include "other" stuff. I already had to add an Award category to add flights that count as segments and contribute no status currency at all. Random "anything" will be interesting.

harder will be planning since this is so unpredictable. I could have a whole year planned out the prior year (basic planning) with flights. Not so here. The plus side is that, given a need tehre are more options than getting on a plane.

Cheers.
I'll be doing at least 30 segments one way or another so I can qualify for the Elite Choice rewards. Say an average of $400/segment (net of taxes) as a wild guess, that would give me 144K LPs if I used an AA-branded card. So I would need to scam only about 56K LPs through Rocketmiles, bonsai trees, and the like, which should cost < $2K. Seems easy enough.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
It is a little unpredictable... but in a good way? You can still plan your year out with flights - the only difference is that you might qualify even sooner based on your other spend.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I like it so far. Not even 2 weeks into January, and I'm already more than a third of the way to Gold without even setting foot on a plane!
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:10 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
A bit confused about the double-dipping.

I entered the new year being just a mere five bucks away from re-qualifying for EXP. I just received my monthly Aviator Barclay statement overnight for the month of December, and my miles posted this morning. I also noticed that my status was just extended to March 2023, despite me still being at 11,995 EQD. Are they combining EQD + CC Spend for the months of Jan/Feb?

I haven't received an email or anything like that from AA about re-qualifying, so I am a bit wary.
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
So, back of the envelope math here that means Finnair J is now the best way to fly (in C and D class)?

With the 100% per mile plus the 100% cabin bonus turning into loyalty points?

That is 18,066 miles flown on a JFK-HEL-BKK round trip.

Meaning you'd get 36,132 loyalty points as a base member and and another 43,358 if you were EXP?

That is 79,490 points for what can be flown for ~3k. I must be missing something though.

Plus, I guess another ~3k if booked on your AA card.
Thanks for this.

Just to expand on the idea:

SFO-JFK-HEL-BKK (which you can pull up on Google flights and click through to book on Finnair) all in D class is:
  • 23,140 miles flown RT. 46,280 miles including cabin bonus. 101,816 loyalty points (not to mention miles) including the EXP bonus.
  • 23,140 miles cabin bonus
  • 27,768 EXP bonus
  • Total of 74,048 miles and loyalty points.
I believe the post about the route from JFK was making the same mistake I was before I edited (the class of service miles do not get an elite bonus) so JFK-HEL-BKK rt would get closer to 57,600 miles and loyalty pts as exec plat.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 13, 2022 at 3:34 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

SFO-JFK-HEL-BKK (which you can pull up on Google flights and click through to book on Finnair) all in D class is:

23,140 miles flown RT. 46,280 miles including cabin bonus. 101,816 loyalty points (not to mention miles) including the EXP bonus.
Are you sure that the 120% EXP status bonus applies to both the base miles and the cabin bonus, and not just to the base miles?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you sure that the 120% EXP status bonus applies to both the base miles and the cabin bonus, and not just to the base miles?
I'm not sure about anything; that's why I'm double-checking here. I thought that all miles were multiplied but I've never done this before so I could be wrong.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
It does not AFAIK. (1+cabin+status) is the multiplier,

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
It is a little unpredictable... but in a good way? You can still plan your year out with flights - the only difference is that you might qualify even sooner based on your other spend.
Yeah, maybe. when I see, though, that my current flights leave us 61% of the way to EXP this year and 81% the old way (I made one sheet of the workbook for 2022 old way), I don't like it

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
It does not AFAIK. (1+cabin+status) is the multiplier,

Cheers.
Oh, yeah I found that buried in the website. I'll update my post.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brp
No kidding - was waiting for my year-end BA flights to credit and my status to update (there's a whole other thread on that mess). It posted so I decided to undertake the task of revamping my spreadsheet for the first time in several years. I think I've gotten it set-up correct, so hopefully the LPs will credit as we all hope for spending/shopping/etc.

That said, I'm fascinated that I could already have over 10K LPs during the second week of January!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:58 pm

Just received an offer for 3x miles on select categories on my American Mastercard. Anyone have any idea if those will translate to LPs as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.