Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flyintheback
Got it, so it just depends on who I book with? Because I could book with any of them. Is that right?
Yes and no, when crediting to AA it doesn't matter who you book with but rather what flight numbers you're booked on.

For example a BA flight number booked with AA will still earn according to the BA table.
guv1976 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes and no, when crediting to AA it doesn't matter who you book with but rather what flight numbers you're booked on.

For example a BA flight number booked with AA will still earn according to the BA table.
Got it! What's the easiest way to tell if it's an AA flight or BA flight? For example if I'm looking at NYC - LHR, Google Flights says either AA106 or BA1517, depending on who I book with for the same flight.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Got it! What's the easiest way to tell if it's an AA flight or BA flight? For example if I'm looking at NYC - LHR, Google Flights says either AA106 or BA1517, depending on who I book with for the same flight.
When you book, you should see an indication as to who operates the flight, if it is not the marketing carrier.

Pretty sure that all AA flight numbers with one, two, or three digits are flights operated by AA. But for earning purposes, it does not matter who is operating the flight; your earnings will depend on the marketing carrier, i.e., which carrier appears on your ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
When you book, you should see an indication as to who operates the flight, if it is not the marketing carrier.

Pretty sure that all AA flight numbers with one, two, or three digits are flights operated by AA. But for earning purposes, it does not matter who is operating the flight; your earnings will depend on the marketing carrier, i.e., which carrier appears on your ticket.
Thanks guv1976. Doesn't what you say contradict what JJeffrey just said that it depends on who's operating?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
AAdvantage status by solely flying oneworld partner airlines

Does anyone know if there are any carrier restrictions in addition to earning enough loyalty points? I currently have Exec Plat via Airpass this year and I am thinking of making it my main OW programme. Had to forfeit CX diamond since HKG became unusable and have been looking for a new home ever since.

If one can maintain Exec Plat or Plat Pro if no AA flight is flown, AAdvantage seems like the best way of keeping Emerald without going out of my way to ensure min segments of BA/QR/CX are met -- since loyalty points favours high revenue tickets for BA/AA trans Atlantic and also use distance calculation for Doha connections.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks guv1976. Doesn't what you say contradict what JJeffrey just said that it depends on who's operating?
No. JJeffrey said that it is the flight number (on your ticket) that matters.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There are no carrier restrictions, with the new LP scheme you can earn AA status without ever setting foot on a plane.

The only way that segments matter is that you must have 30 in order to unlock your choice rewards (i.e. SWUs or bonus miles, etc.) when you hit PLT Pro and EXP.
rt23456p and NotSoMuch like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by shipcamein
I had NO IDEA the others were also fare based. When did this occur approximately?
Revenue-based RDM earning:
DL and UA, 2015.
AA, 2016.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Revenue-based RDM earning:
DL and UA, 2015.
AA, 2016.
WN in 2011
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Gold
thinking about booking a vacation package through BA's site (airfare + hotel). would I be able to credit to AA and earn loyalty points (i.e. airfare--distance flown + elite bonus) instead of earning Avios? the website does ask for other oneworld FF when trying to confirm, but not sure if there are some weird restrictions here...
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could also consider IB Plus-->https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/what-are/
My understanding is they have no "own flights" requirement.
Avios can be moved to/from BA-QR-IB-IE.
Getting OW mid-top status on a non USA OW airline ffp gets you lounge access for USA & regional flights.

QF & AS both have "own flights" requirements for status.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You could also consider IB Plus-->https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/what-are/
My understanding is they have no "own flights" requirement.
Avios can be moved to/from BA-QR-IB-IE.
Getting OW mid-top status on a non USA OW airline ffp gets you lounge access for USA & regional flights.

QF & AS both have "own flights" requirements for status.
Thanks. Yes getting AA lounge access would be a plus as I am not sure if Airpass makes sense for me every year. IB Platino looks a bit harder to get than Plat Pro if not EXP tho.

My paid flights in long haul OW so far has been
QR LHRDOHBKK round trip (LHRDOH legs in F)
BA LHRLAX oneway
AA LAXJFK oneway F
BA LHRJFK oneway
BA LHRJFK round trip
CX LHRHKG round trip

Then there are a few shorthaul intra Europe flights and 3 or 4 trips between LAXSFO and also down from MIA from JFK (all in Y). I have a LHRLAX coming up later this year - making it an easy EXP renewal but it would be just about enough for IB Plat
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
What Good Are Loyalty Points After 200k?

I am about to pass 200k in loyalty points. Not sure I can get to 350k for next level. We have six months left of earning. Seems like next level should be less than an additional 150k LP. I really wish we had the option to roll over into next year. Otherwise I can see myself earning an additional 100k LP with real no benefit to me save upgrade priority. Am I missing anything?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jpsj
I am about to pass 200k in loyalty points. Not sure I can get to 350k for next level. We have six months left of earning. Seems like next level should be less than an additional 150k LP. I really wish we had the option to roll over into next year. Otherwise I can see myself earning an additional 100k LP with real no benefit to me save upgrade priority. Am I missing anything?
upgrade priority within your status level?
fdog, ryanbriar, 355F1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jpsj
Originally Posted by enviroian
upgrade priority within your status level?
This.

I just passed 200k LPs and am on track for 350,000 without even gaming the system (Gotta love those 50-70k LP miles per stay for hotel bookings).

I stopped spending on my AA card once I hit 200k, though....so I guess another SWU will be fine to have.

I will hit 30 flights Sept 15th.
enviroian and ryanbriar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.