Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AB Dada
What's the Uber process?

Never mind, just saw it on SimplyMiles.
I don't know what are they talking about with Uber, that's 3-4k LPs tops...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I don't know what are they talking about with Uber, that's 3-4k LPs tops...
Yep 465 x 4 = 1860 + 465 x 2 (Eats) = 930 + some folks have Uber One offer. 4K would be difficult to get, but it's a good value since I already use Uber anyway.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I need 22 points until Platinum. What’s the fastest/easiest way to get 22 points to post?
Buying a $22 gift card on giftcards.com for starbucks or something will be a good combo of fast and easy. (Usually...there are the occasional posting issues, but they don't seem overly common.)
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA GOLD, National Executive
Earning AA Loyalty Points on British Airways

I am planning to fly from PHX to BOM with a stopover in London via British Airways in Premium Economy (Booking Code T) this December. I currently have AA Gold status with 30k LP and wanted to know if the loyalty points calculator is correct wrt my trip. The base fare($1781) + Carrier Imposed Charge ($560) is around $2341 and I used my AA Citi Card to do the payment. The calculator says I will earn around 27K miles and wanted to know if it's the correct calculation as a flight booked on AA with the same dollar value will yield 16k LP. If I am projected to earn ~27K LP with this trip, I have a couple of trips coming up with my friends and I would volunteer to pay for all the hotels with my CC(hopefully it's available on RocketMiles too) as it will be split amongst us. I could aim for AA Platinum with this. If anyone has traveled on BA PE recently and could help me understand whether the LP earned for AA is correct or not?
LP Calculation -
https://imgur.com/a/7oZNxjS
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Shubham Pokharkar
I am planning to fly from PHX to BOM with a stopover in London via British Airways in Premium Economy (Booking Code T) this December. I currently have AA Gold status with 30k LP and wanted to know if the loyalty points calculator is correct wrt my trip. The base fare($1781) + Carrier Imposed Charge ($560) is around $2341 and I used my AA Citi Card to do the payment. The calculator says I will earn around 27K miles and wanted to know if it's the correct calculation as a flight booked on AA with the same dollar value will yield 16k LP. If I am projected to earn ~27K LP with this trip, I have a couple of trips coming up with my friends and I would volunteer to pay for all the hotels with my CC(hopefully it's available on RocketMiles too) as it will be split amongst us. I could aim for AA Platinum with this. If anyone has traveled on BA PE recently and could help me understand whether the LP earned for AA is correct or not?
LP Calculation -
https://imgur.com/a/7oZNxjS
The calculation looks right to me.

When flying on BA-coded flights, the price you pay for the ticket is irrelevant; only the flown mileage and booking class matter. T class on BA earns 100% of flown mileage; your AAdvantage Gold status gets you a 40% bonus on top of that.

Charges put on a qualifying AA credit card earn one mile/Loyalty Point per dollar charged.
_kurt and Shubham Pokharkar like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA GOLD, National Executive
Originally Posted by guv1976
The calculation looks right to me.

When flying on BA-coded flights, the price you pay for the ticket is irrelevant; only the flown mileage and booking class matter. T class on BA earns 100% of flown mileage; your AAdvantage Gold status gets you a 40% bonus on top of that.

Charges put on a qualifying AA credit card earn one mile/Loyalty Point per dollar charged.
Ohh got it now. Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully I am able to reach Platinum because of this trip
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that the instructions on the LP calculator (from the image you shared) are wrong. It doesn't matter which airline issued the ticket. It matters who the marketing carrier is (that is, the airline in the flight number).

Is your flight number BAxxx or AAxxx? If it's BAxxx then, as pointed out, the price paid is irrelevant. If it's AAAxxx, the class of service and miles flown are irrelevant, and you will earn 7 LP per dollar of base fare when you fly. This is true whether you bought the ticket from BA, AA, or someone else. If it's different for the two segments then you need to figure out / guess how they will split the fare between the two segments.

Anything you buy on your AA CC (flight or not, for you or someone else) earns 1 LP per dollar when your statement closes; including it in the calculator is very misleading since it has absolutely nothing to do with your flight.

EDIT: also the miles flown seems wrong. PHX-LHR-BOM is 9758 miles one way; 19516 miles round trip (according to milecalc) I'm not sure where you got 17608 from. It looks like you calculated PHX-BOM direct. Unless it's a direct flight with a stop (ie, same flight number for both legs) you calculate the miles for each segment individually and add them up.
_kurt likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jun 14, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AB Dada
Yep 465 x 4 = 1860 + 465 x 2 (Eats) = 930 + some folks have Uber One offer. 4K would be difficult to get, but it's a good value since I already use Uber anyway.
Uber One is 2x, and Uber eats was x4, and they came back with a couple more, but no more than 5-6k LPs tops...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
hehe yeah - like the other person mentioned, I’ll have to wait a few weeks for my statement to cut for the credit card.

Have something from the shopping portal, but that might take like 3 days to post at the fastest.

Not sure how long AA Dining takes to post?
My AA Dining visits usually post within 2-3 business days. In fact, this month, I'm now getting emails from them on the same day as my visits, indicating how many miles I should be getting once they officially post. For me, AA Dining is 100% consistent in crediting and their accuracy. Not the same with eShoppping.
bosman and TheDudeAbides like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by nk15
Uber One is 2x, and Uber eats was x4, and they came back with a couple more, but no more than 5-6k LPs tops...
YMMV but 15-20% of the way to Gold from Uber alone constitutes a 'good chunk' to me.

Anyone with an active social life in a big MSA would easily knock that out.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Fanjet
My AA Dining visits usually post within 2-3 business days. In fact, this month, I'm now getting emails from them on the same day as my visits, indicating how many miles I should be getting once they officially post. For me, AA Dining is 100% consistent in crediting and their accuracy. Not the same with eShoppping.
I have recently been getting emails from AAdvantage dining with the number of miles I have earned within 60 seconds of swiping my card at the restaurant. It's freaky how fast they get into my inbox. Miles usually post to my account 2 or 3 days later.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least some purchases from the AA shopping portal indeed now post in the AA account in 2 days, for example mine from Raise and elsewhere.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
For those who have converted 500 mile upgrade stickers to redeemable miles, how long has the process taken from the time you request it?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
For those who have converted 500 mile upgrade stickers to redeemable miles, how long has the process taken from the time you request it?
It took about 4 weeks from the time I called to request the conversion to the time it posted to my account
nk15 and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:30 am

anyone know where is the info on the aa website about which partner airline flights are "eligible" to count as part of the 30 segments needed for the elite choice benefits?
Can't find it. not even on other blogs. Just says on AA.com:
"You must earn the required Loyalty Points for each level and fly a minimum of 30 eligible flights by February 28, 2023 to be eligible for this offer."

Can you book a Jetblue flight having no marketing with an AA flight number, give B6 your AA number for earning miles, and have that flight be one of the 30 "eligible" segments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.