Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Well with 15 coach round trips you probably won't reach PPRO anyway, unless you have significant CC spend as well, so the segment counter is pretty irrelevant. I would however argue the 15 domestic F flyer is probably more valuable to AA as a whole, since someone who flies 3 J or F long-hauls a year can pretty much change airline loyalty programs anytime.
Again, the actual flying part is pretty much irrelevant. I'm going to have about 15 coach round-trips this year, and I'm shooting for EXP. Flying doesn't matter. I'm doing it on wine and meal kits mostly, wil some CC spend.
vasantn likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
A few questions:

1. What is the "year" to earn status for 2023? Mar 1 2022 - Feb 28 2023?
2. For this next year only, am I correct in understanding that Jan and Feb 2022 loyalty points will also be added to the year above? (so solely for next year, 14 months of qualifications).

Thanks
Correct on both, and the Jan-Feb 2022 have already been added. Happened in the first week of March.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Promotion was available in my account (maybe everyone?) for 500 bonus miles for signing up for MilesforOpinions and doing a survey.

The one-time 500 miles promotion posts just as bonus miles (as expected), but the survey miles did post as both LP and redeemable miles.

(I got 160 miles for wasting 20 minutes of my time on a political survey, and overall, this seems like a terrible way to get LPs.)
BigMoneyGrip likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Promotion was available in my account (maybe everyone?) for 500 bonus miles for signing up for MilesforOpinions and doing a survey.

The one-time 500 miles promotion posts just as bonus miles (as expected), but the survey miles did post as both LP and redeemable miles.

(I got 160 miles for wasting 20 minutes of my time on a political survey, and overall, this seems like a terrible way to get LPs.)
Their website and survey process is infuriating. Definitely not worth the time for the earnings.
LovePrunes and MarkOK like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Again, the actual flying part is pretty much irrelevant. I'm going to have about 15 coach round-trips this year, and I'm shooting for EXP. Flying doesn't matter. I'm doing it on wine and meal kits mostly, wil some CC spend.
Don't forget hotel bookings (BookAAHotels) for some big-time LP infusions!
Old May 4, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vasantn
Don't forget hotel bookings (BookAAHotels) for some big-time LP infusions!
Has anyone tried the "Pay more to earn more" option on any BookAAHotels reservations? I'm giving the site a try this weekend to see how this will work with bumping up my Loyalty Points on a hotel booking. The booking I chose had a 2000 mile base earnings and this was doubled to a 4000 mile earning for an extra $40. The website clearly says 'Earn 4000 base miles' for the option, however when I received the confirmation and receipt, the extra 2000 miles are listed as 'Promo Miles', leading me to believe these will not count as Loyalty Points and I've been baited and switched.

No doubt, it's questionable if 2000 loyalty points are worth the extra $40 (and I'm really just doing this as a trial balloon to see how this will work and I'm sure there are better deals), but I don't think there is any question that 2000 AA miles that don't also earn loyalty points are a total waste of money.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kabroui
Has anyone tried the "Pay more to earn more" option on any BookAAHotels reservations? I'm giving the site a try this weekend to see how this will work with bumping up my Loyalty Points on a hotel booking. The booking I chose had a 2000 mile base earnings and this was doubled to a 4000 mile earning for an extra $40. The website clearly says 'Earn 4000 base miles' for the option, however when I received the confirmation and receipt, the extra 2000 miles are listed as 'Promo Miles', leading me to believe these will not count as Loyalty Points and I've been baited and switched.

No doubt, it's questionable if 2000 loyalty points are worth the extra $40 (and I'm really just doing this as a trial balloon to see how this will work and I'm sure there are better deals), but I don't think there is any question that 2000 AA miles that don't also earn loyalty points are a total waste of money.
As of right now, all miles at from BAAH count as LPs. Check out this thread. It'll answer all the questions you might have:

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points
​​​​
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
As of right now BAAH all miles count as LPs. Check out this thread. It'll answer all the questions you have:

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points
​​​​
"Pay more to earn more" miles even show up as "base miles" in the booking screen.

The boost miles don't, but so far they have been posting as base miles and LP for people.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Loose lips sink ships...
vasantn likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajf87
Loose lips sink ships...
I'm pretty sure that this is using the program as intended
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm pretty sure that this is using the program as intended
AA has been known to unfavorably view points gaming in the past. Making dummy/no-show bookings (as multiple FTers have been gloating about) is most certainly not how AA intended the program to work and is the definition of gaming and a quick way to get the program nerfed.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajf87
AA has been known to unfavorably view points gaming in the past. Making dummy/no-show bookings (as multiple FTers have been gloating about) is most certainly not how AA intended the program to work and is the definition of gaming and a quick way to get the program nerfed.
I'm pretty sure AA doesn't know or care whether you show up for the hotel. I'm not sure I would call this gaming the system. AA had cracked down on things like getting many CC SUBs (instead of just 1) and booking reservations you had no intention of flying to tie up space.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Is there a way to find hotels in BAAH that offer the most LPs for the buck? Just like we have Premium Airfare deals we should perhaps have a site for LP runs.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
If you fly 15 round trips in coach plus earn >100k miles through partners, you are definitely more valuable to AA than someone flying 3 RT J or even F international trips. So that kind of proves my point.
Old May 4, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Have 6 Marriott stays I booked via AA Shopping ~60 days ago. None have posted. CS (Cartera) tells me they can take up to 90 days. What the heck takes Marriott & Cartera so long to post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.