Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I bought 7 GC's on Feb. 28. I've been in back-and-forth with both BHN and AAdvantage about the credit; they don't show up yet. Bought one more the other night and disabled my ad blocker and it already shows as pending. AAdvantage admits they can see I clikced through to giftcards.com from their portal. And I still haven't gotten an answer on what "per month" means.
I'm assuming by AAdvantage you mean AAdvantage eShopping aka Cartera, since AAdvantage has nothing to do with the eShopping portal (besides selling them miles).
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by nk15
Helloooo, anyone there, are you paying attention? There is a 5% discount on visa virtual gift cards on giftcards.com, (code: SPRING22) in addition to the 3x miles... Just became available today until March 25, right after I finished buying all my $2k giftcards for this month last night, as I was concerned about the 3x going away...So, I just missed out on a $100 discount, basically. What the...
I am late to the party but this seems like a really good deal, right? I can effectively buy a $250 visa gc for $243 plus earn LPs and RDMs?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I am late to the party but this seems like a really good deal, right? I can effectively buy a $250 visa gc for $243 plus earn LPs and RDMs?
It is a good deal IF you can get the orders to track correctly (so you actually earn the LP's and RDM) and IF you have a way to easily use the GC's. There are lots of recent posts in the eShopping thread about issues getting gift card miles.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...issues-30.html
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This is correct. However be aware that:
1) There is a limit on how much you can use the discount for
2) There is a monthly limit on GC purchases for AAdvantage credit
3) You will have trouble getting credit if you are using Safari or an ad blocker. Use a different browser and if you have an ad or popup blocker, disable it.

I purcahsed a $200 GC for $196 and got AA credit.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Thanks for the tips. I just tried a $250 to see how it goes. Worst case I saved $7 even if the LPs don't post.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tips. I just tried a $250 to see how it goes. Worst case I saved $7 even if the LPs don't post.
As long as you are not using any browser addons to block tracking they should post. They just may take some time. If you are the type of person to check every day and see if your miles are there you will probably get frustrated (admittedly, I do this). If you are the type of person to forget about it and then check back in a month to see if your miles are there there probably won't be any issues.
brp likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Poster

So far, so good, though I am running out of things to easily pre-pay. Has anyone tried to use their Visa prepaid gift card to buy another Visa card? Sort of a recursive application until you spend $2000? Feels like cheating but not sure if it is against the rules.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nk15
I have hotel and shopping portal purchases that are not posting for over 10 days now... and so have many others, as reported on various threads....I would be booking and purchasing more if these were resolved....There are multiple reports of errors, delays, and cancellations of transactions...as reported on 3-4 different threads...
hotels can take up to 45 days to show up. Cartera sucks. I've had numerous issues with them in the past. Sometimes deals post, other times they don't. Everyone on this thread crowing about how it has to be the ad blocker or cookies is wrong. I use the same browser with the same settings for ALL purchases. Some show, some don't. It's not always on our side (although surely it can be). It can also be on the merchant's side and/or on the communication between merchant and Cartera. I've also had problems getting the bonus points (not LP). Such as when they offer a special higher mile promo... the base reports, the higher part doesn't.

Basically you should assume Cartera is a take what you get and be happy with it sort of program. 100% credit it will not be.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So far, so good, though I am running out of things to easily pre-pay. Has anyone tried to use their Visa prepaid gift card to buy another Visa card? Sort of a recursive application until you spend $2000? Feels like cheating but not sure if it is against the rules.
Hasnt worked for me so far.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is manufactured (fake) spending. It is supposedly against the rules (read the ToS for the giftcard sites). It may work, or not. The risk is that the LPs may be clawed back later (or not). Banks have been known in some cases to suddenly close down all your bank accounts and sever all relationships with you for life for doing this. In theory, the portals may do the same. There is also a theoretical possibility that AA may also close your account, confiscate your miles, and fire you for life for doing this.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Sometimes deals post, other times they don't. Everyone on this thread crowing about how it has to be the ad blocker or cookies is wrong. I use the same browser with the same settings for ALL purchases. Some show, some don't.
That's because some of the trackers are being blocked and some aren't. It's not the same for all merchants.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:32 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Placed an order on apple.com through the AA portal to build a new iMac--shipping date should be in 2 weeks.

Will the transaction show up soon? Or will they wait until Apple charges my CC (usually happens the day before shipping).
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A clarification on the 'flat earn' structured on aadvantage eshopping. For example, Bright Cellars has a Nowearn3200 miles deal currently going on. Assuming I subscribe, I'll receive 3200 loyalty points on my AA account?

Last edited by Martellus; Mar 23, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Martellus
A clarification on the 'flat earn' structured on aadvantage eshopping. For example, Bright Cellars has a Nowearn3200 miles deal currently going on. Assuming I subscribe, I'll receive 3200 loyalty points on my AA account?
Typically yes, though several posters have reported issues receiving the Bright Cellars miles, so that might not be the best one to try out.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Typically yes, though several posters have reported issues receiving the Bright Cellars miles, so that might not be the best one to try out.
Thanks! What about "Earn X miles/$ spent" offers? If a merchant is usually a 2 miles/$ spent merchant but is now temporarily at 10 miles/$ spent, do I receive loyalty points at the original rate or the higher rate?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.