Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vasantn
Caveat: Bonus miles from FLYING = LPs.
Good point.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by dadgummit
My Sunbasket miles finally showed up through eShopping after I went through all the inquiries. They backdated it to January 21 and did mark it as base miles. It is actually my first batch of Loyalty Points - I now have 3,700. I'm waiting on the others to come through from all my Jan/Feb activity. Anyone else having success with fighting for your Sunbasket miles?
A friend of mine who posts here regularly just got his Sunbasket miles as well. Mine posted 6 weeks ago without any intervention.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: AA, KF
So I still have the offer to secure Platinum Pro status from Platinum by paying $1,500 or a combination of cash and points. If I buy, the status will be good till March 2023. Is it worth it? What's the pros and cons. Just trying to see if it's really worth it considering that I need around 123k LP to achieve PPro. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
reading posts here as well as seeing how my own LPs are coming through. I have a bad feeling AA and I may be parting ways after this year.
I fly a few times a month and spend a fair amount on the CC but no where near the spend some of the folks here are putting on the card. Even I'm nearly platinum for the year mostly on CC spend.
It really is looking like there are going to be way more people who CC spend their way into EXP. WAY more EXP in general.
Those horrible upgrade lists out of hubs are going to get worse and those of us who actually fly frequently won't be at the top of the upgrade list.

This is not looking good for loyal flyers only loyal CC users.
I totally get that for AA revenue is revenue and that the credit cards are a value to them but am I missing something? Are the actual loyal flyers getting the shaft? The reward bonuses for 30 segments aren't worth that much

Am I missing something
js1993 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by aj411
reading posts here as well as seeing how my own LPs are coming through. I have a bad feeling AA and I may be parting ways after this year.
I fly a few times a month and spend a fair amount on the CC but no where near the spend some of the folks here are putting on the card. Even I'm nearly platinum for the year mostly on CC spend.
It really is looking like there are going to be way more people who CC spend their way into EXP. WAY more EXP in general.
Those horrible upgrade lists out of hubs are going to get worse and those of us who actually fly frequently won't be at the top of the upgrade list.

I totally get that for AA revenue is revenue and that the credit cards are a value to them but am I missing something? Are the actual loyal flyers getting the shaft? The reward bonuses for 30 segments aren't worth that much

Am I missing something
Sadly, no, I don't think you are. I'd love to be wrong though.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP., UA Silver, Marriott Ti/LT Gold, Sixt P. National EXE
So I flew out yesterday and while the flight is showing up under my activity, no miles or LP posted yet. Guess I won't see it reflected until after I complete my round trip now. Kinda sucks.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I had a flight yesterday. The miles for RDM have posted but the loyalty points have not. I'm assuming there's issues with this???
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Stingyguy
So I still have the offer to secure Platinum Pro status from Platinum by paying $1,500 or a combination of cash and points. If I buy, the status will be good till March 2023. Is it worth it? What's the pros and cons. Just trying to see if it's really worth it considering that I need around 123k LP to achieve PPro. Thanks.
Do you see yourself needing to access a FC lounge during Int'l travel?
Additional earning rate of 9 LP/$ on tickets?
Upgrade priority? And a longer UG window
SDFC for free?

I think those cover the marginal gains of PPro over Plat, might be missing one.

Do those benefits equal $1500 of value for 13 months of access?
If you have some RDM to burn, maybe you do the combo method, if the upgraded status is worth $500 to you and you burn the rest in miles?
Or, do you see yourself traveling / spending enough this year to hit PPro without doing any sort of buy up in the mean time?
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:34 am

Data point - I have approximately 125,000 base points earned between January and February and only 30,000 loyalty points were added to my account. I'm not sure if I should call in to customer service or if the rest of my loyalty points will show up later this week
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP., UA Silver, Marriott Ti/LT Gold, Sixt P. National EXE
Originally Posted by EXP100
I had a flight yesterday. The miles for RDM have posted but the loyalty points have not. I'm assuming there's issues with this???
Same story here
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
Data point - I have approximately 125,000 base points earned between January and February and only 30,000 loyalty points were added to my account. I'm not sure if I should call in to customer service or if the rest of my loyalty points will show up later this week
That's unusual. I would give it until the 6th.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I missing something
I would suspect that most of the people who are ahead of with all these LP were ahead of you before. Things probably won't change for you as much as you think. In fact you will probably move up in the rankings.

Anyone who is gaming the system now was probably gaming it before. Don't confuse the flyertalk demographic with the general population. There are not thousands upon thousands of people doing this. There are, maybe, a couple of hundred spread out over the whole country. Most people can't be bothered.
brp and psusaver like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Thanks! Got mine too. As pessimistic as I might have been - my points seem to be posting properly altogether!
Just got mine. The 1000 additional "Bonus" miles for the AAVacations package posted as "Base." And the Sunbasket that had not posted was fixed very quickly and now posted. Still missing $360 in AA card spend, but I can wait a bit on that.

Kudos again to AA for handling this.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:29 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Late February eShopping portal purchase posted to AA this morning and I see the LPs for that purchase as well.
No LPs posted yet for any January or February activities (flights, eShopping, CC spend).
If it doesn't resolve itself this week, I may inquire about it next week. But no panic yet.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: American Executive Platinum

Am I missing something
Keep in mind the stories you read here are from the most excessive of the excessive in terms or gamifying and seeking LP’s. This is a group of people who feely choose to spend their time thinking, reading, and writing extensively about loyalty. The average AA customer is likely vastly less interested or willing to engage in the game.

I would anticipate some exaggerations, but not a fundamental shift in upgrade priorities because of LP’s. Also remember that while CC and other spend counts, the baseline requirements through flying are incredibly more onerous than pre-LP, so for example a business traveler who values hotel loyalty earn may actually achieve lower not higher status as they may put spend on a hotel CC and not use Rocketmiles. That customer may use AA dining and and occasionally the hotel portal, so may see 10,000 LP’s for example in a year, but that’s not creating more competition.

Also remember that even with this very selective group of people, a lot of the easy LP’s have been earned. For those who signed up for a bunch of new offers, they probably have made their way through most of the opportunities. Hotel earning is one of the few categories with never-ending opportunities, but how many corporate travelers can book through rocketmiles or otherwise don’t care about their hotel loyalty?

And with huge CC spend via business, again - how many frequent flyers are business owners that are dedicating all of their spend to the new LP system? The sales person or corporate executive isn’t using a personal CC.

In other words, when you start to think this through, the number of people earning hundreds of thousands of LP’s is probably pretty limited. There are those people, but the idea that “everything has changed” probably isn’t true.

The bigger issue is the removal of stickers - that’s such a blatant devaluation of gold and plat status, along with free and automatic upgrades for companions.
sexykitten7 and cmtlatitudes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.