Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
Hahaha This.
I am training P2 to always use the portal when buying anything online. If i get lucky, maybe she will even begin browsing the portal to see where she would get the most points for the same item. Baby steps...
Agree 100% - I just recently explained the situation to the wife and gave her the link. I mean, she shops online all the time anyways - so, she might as well stop by the ol' portal first and see what she can get.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
Agree 100% - I just recently explained the situation to the wife and gave her the link. I mean, she shops online all the time anyways - so, she might as well stop by the ol' portal first and see what she can get.
Good practice in general - but it's might instead be worth checking CashBackMonitor which aggregates rates from multiple sources, including AAdvantage Shopping. Sometimes you'll get a much higher rate from other portals - e.g. Chase. You won't get LPs... but you might end up getting an even better deal.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak

AA mile and EQM earning listed. The Economy OW fare was $822.70 or so. The 'D" fare on JAL metal was $2777 RT, the other half is still to be flown.

For those 747-800i that are looking at the DEL-HND-JFK-HND-DEL fares (J /business class) on JAL. I booked and flew one leg of the DEL-HND-JFK-PIT recently. Actually I had booked till JFK then realized it was a pain to move luggage from airport to Amtrak etc and take the train the next day to Pittsburgh, so I called (from Delhi using my google voice no) the customer service in Tokyo, and they very helpfully changed my routing to PIT, and it only cost me an additional INR 1458 or so. (like a crisp $20 bill).

Anyhow, my miles just posted, the fare was a "D" fare on JAL business, and AA First class on AA 4530 (JFk-PIT). I was pleasantly surprised to see that this flight + an earlier OW to India on AA has helped me reach AA Gold status, my first ever earned "elite status" in any frequent flyer program since I began flying ~20 yrs ago. Here's a screenshot of the EQMs etc. That spreadsheet above is real cool jfkeze , but you get 6773 miles (one more ) on HND-JFK. Of course AAdvantage wont be telling us about the LP till March or whenever, but the EQM and other details are here for this routing.

I really appreciated the 1000 EQM for the 180 base miles flight between JFK-PIT on F.
The Dec 28 flight was not PIT-JFK-DEL, it's showing only the first segment in the image/AAdv summary page. The ticket cost me $ 822. Also, I had to make this trip on short notice for a family emergency/death event so I booked OW. On the return I decided to go for Biz fare as even economy fares around Jan 11 were too pricey. The "D" fare on JAL came with no change fees so I was able to change the date and itinerary on two separate calls.

Last edited by psusaver; Jan 18, 2022 at 11:07 am Reason: Adding a note about the F segment on AA metal
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
How do you have Plastiq effectively pay yourself then? Don't you have to put a merchant? Do you put yourself in this case?
No, had to upload a pdf of the loan statement from the CU to get it setup. Check was issued to the CU.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Recurring/scheduled payment setup before the loan was satisfied? -FlyerBeek
Yes to FlyerBeek.

The CU didn't know how to directly apply the check from Plastiq, so the dumped the funds into the member savings account instead of the car loan.

I think it was a bit of an anomaly with the CU and how they applied the funds, instead of a thing with Plastiq. Just happened to work in my favor.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
Three typos in one sentence? You need coffee!!
Yikes! Looked good when I wrote. it.

I found out that our CU can put the money directly to the mortgage, so we can use Plastiq in compliance with their rules, if need be.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I've updated the "Flying" section of the Wiki to provide a hopefully understandable explanation of how LPs are calculated on AA and partner flights, since the question keeps coming up.
dc10forlife, brp, skunker and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've updated the "Flying" section of the Wiki to provide a hopefully understandable explanation of how LPs are calculated on AA and partner flights, since the question keeps coming up.
Thank you! There are still a lot of people that don't understand the math behind flying partners.

Of course they will just say the wiki isn't AA and won't believe it, but whatever.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
AA flying using Amex points with 35% rebate

For Amex plat business card holders. I have not heard this discussed unless I missed it. I’m assuming since redeemable miles earned is same as if purchased with cash that LP earnings both ways will be the same. Anyone asked AA about this?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
For Amex plat business card holders. I have not heard this discussed unless I missed it. I’m assuming since redeemable miles earned is same as if purchased with cash that LP earnings both ways will be the same. Anyone asked AA about this?
I'm not clear on what you mean by "both ways".
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I'm not clear on what you mean by "both ways".
cash or Amex points
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:42 pm

I’ve stayed up on this thread, but has anyone theorized how paid app upgrades might work? Right now, they generally provide EQM but not EQD…

I just paid a $140 upgrade so I can hopefully see in March if it credits as LP or not.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:58 pm

Anyone buying a bunch of prepaid Verizon plans for EXP? Looks like it would take about $1200 to earn EXP -

https://frequentmiler.com/6200-ameri...dium=Flipboard
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Anyone buying a bunch of prepaid Verizon plans for EXP? Looks like it would take about $1200 to earn EXP -

The article is very poorly written and confusing. It doesn't explain which of the offers to select and it also doesn't say whether you can cancel the service after the first month.

I seriously doubt that Verizon will let one person sign up for 30 prepaid plans and pay out 6200 miles each time.

I'd like to do it with just one line as it's a good price for LPs, but I'm confused about exactly how to do it.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter

some of the comments people are having all types of error codes on checkout, still being charged and an order happening (and not tracking)
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsteinberg
some of the comments people are having all types of error codes on checkout, still being charged and an order happening (and not tracking)
fwiw I did it once last night, stacking with the $75 off Amex offer, and it seems to have tracked ok since the eshopping site shows the 6200 miles already. So there are definitely ways to make it work. Shame I could only use that offer once, though lol.
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.