Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't AA enforce face mask requirements in Admirals Clubs?

Why doesn't AA enforce face mask requirements in Admirals Clubs?

Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Same thing in the ATL Sky Clubs. People walking around, talking on the phone, going to the bathroom and a good majority of them don't have masks on. Rules are rules and if you don't want to follow them stay home.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Rules are only as good as enforcement.

AA has a reasons to publish a rule - they also have reasons not to enforce it.

If them not enforcing it disappoints you, speak up, then speak with your money elsewhere. Thats the only thing that will have any effect.
Babu and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbrower
If they remove that rule from what is published (it probably wasn't in the rule book when you first signed up), would that solve the problem? Would you be comfortable traveling AA instead of Amtrak or a private room if no one was wearing masks because the rules didn't require it? My point isn't that mask are, or are not, appropriate. My point is that you are phrasing this as a concern about what the rules say. (P.S. - If you really want a refund, based on a failure to enforce this rule in the manner which you feel is adequate, I suspect you can get one.)
Contrary to your post, the AC mask policy was in place when I renewed my AC membership.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You’ve gotten the answer. You might not like the answer, but you’ve gotten it. Without venturing too far into OMNI territory, any rule is followed as much as the followers respect the authority of the issuer and the reasoning behind the rule, and have weighed the costs and benefits of both compliance and noncompliance. Compliance is never 100% (see also: unpermitted construction, workplace policies, speeding, drugs, even murder… the list goes forever). With an unpopular mandate, even those charged with enforcing it may feel little motivation to get kicked in the teeth again and again enforcing a rule they don’t agree with or possibly don’t even care about. I’m not commenting on the validity of any particular opinions on this topic, merely factually observing human behavior.

You should write to AA if you feel they are not delivering on the lounge membership you paid for, and wish a refund or for them to step up enforcement.
Babu, bosman, akflyguy and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I was in LAX admiral club and got yelled out for not wearing a mask literally while I was in the act of drinking a beer. There was no one within 30 ft of me. I had been wearing a mask before consuming drink.

So I would disagree with assessment in this thread. AA does enforce mask policy at admiral club (at least in LAX) and in my experience are too strict if anything. Nowhere have I seen more extreme mask policing.
LETTERBOY and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.

Last edited by eltoddo22; Oct 16, 2021 at 11:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Contrary to your post, the AC mask policy was in place when I renewed my AC membership.
Fair enough. But it also said they can add and delete rules. If I help you get a full refund will you be satisfied?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by catlike
My personal opinion: I believe AA has this stated rule, but there is not a practical way to enforce it.

I dont believe its reasonable to expect staff to enforce/police/remind people of this. The amount of verbal abuse I imagine the staff would face would be immense. If I worked in an AC I would personally not enforce it not because I disagree with the rule but because it wouldnt be worth the personal toll on being yelled at and degraded by people because of it.
It is relatively easy to deal with verbal abuse, just kick them out
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: AA, Amex
If you're truly concerned with their enforcement of stated policy, raise it to AA and/or to the club staff. Simple as that.

We can all go round and round here (as has been the case for 7 pages) with all of our different positions or experiences, but ultimately none of it matters or accomplishes anything. If you want something done, bring it to the people who have the responsibility and means to action it.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This thread has gone so far off the rails it's hard to figure out what stays and what goes. One thing that was easy to decide: it's getting closed as it's clear that the majority of posters cannot see their way to staying on the topic in the OP.

~Moderator
Babu, SK, dpb132 and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.