Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help Please: I'm CK, booked LAX-HND-SIN -- AA Canceled says no more LAX-NRT/HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

I'm a CK -- haven't traveled much in 18 months.
Booked 4 tickets in Feb with cash.

Depart
Lax-Hnd on AA (confirmed SWU upgrades)
HND-SIN on JA

Return
SIN-HND on JA
Hnd-LAX on AA (confirmed SWU upgrades)

Got an email today. AA cancelled flights because of schedule change.

These were a great deal $800 roundtrip (and had confirmed upgrades)

I called CK and they said- "guess we dont fly LAX to Japan anymore. We can fly you through Dallas 2 days later."

Going to call again later, but any help or advice is appreciated?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by JBauer

Depart
HND-SIN on JA

Return
SIN-HND on JA

Got an email today. AA cancelled flights because of schedule change.

These were a great deal $800 roundtrip (and had confirmed upgrades)

I called CK and they said- "guess we dont fly LAX to Japan anymore. We can fly you through Dallas 2 days later."

Going to call again later, but any help or advice is appreciated?

Thanks
We all know that if they're not flying a route or a schedule, they're not flying, and there's nothing they will do for you.

Best suggestion is to look for the specific routing that you want before calling and suggest that, or alternatives. Admittedly, tacking on a LAX-DFW segment to fly back west is nobody's idea of a good time.

You didn't mention the flight dates, but I'm guessing they are fairly close since you got a schedule change email. Finding upgrade space for four tickets in both directions may be a challenge at this point, They might open up upgrade space at this point but they might not, and they certainly aren't going to boot someone else out of confirmed seats for you.

Without knowing the dates, I couldn't see if the "two days later" part was due to not having flights from DFW, or not having space in the cabin you want.

Coming back to the main point, it's always best to know what flights you want before you call, rather than letting the AAgent search, but you might need to have multiple options.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate that.

Feb 14 through 23

I guess Im just surprised they have no LA to Tokyo flights in Winter.

I don't expect them to boot anyone out, but I do expect them to proactively find a CK member a solution but, alas, I'll look around.

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Someone on topic--does anyone think Japan will even be open to US citizens come Q1 2022?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Someone on topic--does anyone think Japan will even be open to US citizens come Q1 2022?
Every party needs a pooper...
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
You're entitled to fly on the same day on the codeshares operated by JAL, sans upgrades, however.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Appreciate that.

Feb 14 through 23

I don't expect them to boot anyone out, but I do expect them to proactively find a CK member a solution but, alas, I'll look around.

Thanks
Your easiest path forward will be to just get rebooked on whatever flights through DFW work the best (on AA metal). Not ideal but no real other options, other than flying JL in economy. Do your homework before calling and ask specifically for what you want. As a CK it should be no problem to keep your upgrades regardless of whether the new flight has any C space currently open or not.

Then just cross your fingers you're even able to travel to Japan/Singapore in February...
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Every party needs a pooper...
Mr pooper here. I realize OP is going to Singapore but I thought it was a sincere question as Japan isn't even close to re-opening.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Folks, it seems OP is travelling to SIN, with a connection at HND. So the eligible to enter the country question is about SIN, not Japan.

Depart
HND-SIN on JA

Return
SIN-HND on JA
OP: are you eligible to enter SIN? The country is "opening" to vaccinated Americans, under the vaccinated travel lane scheme, but to participate in that you need to be on a one of a set of specifically designated flights. Japan is not currently on that list, AFAIK. If you are not otherwise eligible to enter SIN without quarantine, up to you if you want to bet that the VTL scheme will change by Feb.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at this schedule change as an opportunity to get your money refunded.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Just got nailed with this change on a planned February trip to Japan. I had award seats and they rebooked on JL.

This leads to my next thought, is AA going to permanently cancel yet another LAX International nonstop? This is crAAp if so. Or maybe they will restart once Japan decides to reopen - which I would imagine they should by Q1 2022.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This leads to my next thought, is AA going to permanently cancel yet another LAX International nonstop? This is crAAp if so. Or maybe they will restart once Japan decides to reopen - which I would imagine they should by Q1 2022.
Perhaps you missed this thread a few weeks ago:
AA Transpacific: Seattle / SEA ascending, Los Angeles / LAX diminishing
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Appreciate that.

Feb 14 through 23

Thanks

Your profile says AA Executive Platinum (former CK)

Might wanna update that.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
Perhaps you missed this thread a few weeks ago:
AA Transpacific: Seattle / SEA ascending, Los Angeles / LAX diminishing
Didn't miss it. Japan was supposed to stay as a LAX nonstop. Either AA has changed their mind and is permanently removing Japan from LAX, or perhaps we will see it come back at some unknown date after Japan reopens.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

February

These are all very good questions and we are vaccinated, however I just felt like we would book the best possible trip now and then wait to see what the world looks like in January.

it is kind of shocking to me they would have no direct flights from Los Angeles to Japan at all, but I guess that’s the state of the world.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
We all know that if they're not flying a route or a schedule, they're not flying, and there's nothing they will do for you.
That’s not usually how being a Key works… IROPS and just changes and reaccommodation overall seem to be where the service/status really shines, but, admittedly, nothing is guaranteed.

Originally Posted by 355F1
Your profile says AA Executive Platinum (former CK)

Might wanna update that.
Let’s hope OP still has his status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.