Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When/Why did AA switch back to Bombay Sapphire from Aviation Gin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

This week, I had Bombay on all my flights, like the old days… when/why did they get rid of Aviation gin?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by metallo
This week, I had Bombay on all my flights, like the old days… when/why did they get rid of Aviation gin?
Ooh, now there's a welcome change. (I'm not an Aviation gin fan.) Are we sure this wasn't a one-off? I asked and it was Aviation a couple weeks ago...
dw, SCChris and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Ooh, now there's a welcome change. (I'm not an Aviation gin fan.) Are we sure this wasn't a one-off? I asked and it was Aviation a couple weeks ago...
Last 3 flights have had Bombay… either is fine with me, but agree, I’d give the edge to Bombay over Aviation.

What, you don’t like Ryan Reynolds lol? 😉
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Maybe supplier issues?
aamilesslave and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Last 3 flights have had Bombay… either is fine with me, but agree, I’d give the edge to Bombay over Aviation.
What, you don’t like Ryan Reynolds lol? 😉
LOL, nah, I just don't like things from the wrong Portland.

I much prefer Botanist (which they have at the DFW Centurion, along with Antica Carpano, making for an excellent negroni)... otherwise Hendricks. But Aviation is a little too rosy-floraly for me.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm pretty sure it started in Summer 2020. All I've seen since Sept 2020 has been the Aviation (after the Bombay Sapphire stocks were finally depleted). As a gin aficionado (G&Ts are the only cocktail I'll drink inflight), I much prefer the Bombay Sapphire. Aviation is far too spicy/floral for a G&T (although it works great in some other cocktails, including an Aviation - perhaps not surprisingly). YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
SK likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
My flights this week all had Aviation, FWIW.

Since in-flight GT's are made with sub-par tonic, I reckon it really doesn't matter too much what gin goes in it, but can't say I'm a big Sapphire fan.
camdentown likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: Some more than others
AA is the only US airline to use Aviation (UA/DL have Bombay Sapphire, AS has Tanqueray). Could be a supply chain issue that some stations aren't able to source it, or it could be that AA is switching and some stations are depleting their stock.

From an airline Food & Beverage perspective, one of my happiest moments was when Beefeater got out of the US mini market, forcing AA/UA to switch.
JoeWoodstock, BWISkyGuy and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
One can dream of Hendricks
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Are we sure this wasn't a one-off? I asked and it was Aviation a couple weeks ago
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
Maybe supplier issues?
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
My flights this week all had Aviation, FWIW.
Originally Posted by SCChris
AA is the only US airline to use Aviation (UA/DL have Bombay Sapphire, AS has Tanqueray). Could be a supply chain issue that some stations aren't able to source it, or it could be that AA is switching and some stations are depleting their stock.
You guys are probably right… maybe it’s just a temporary substitution. I have another flight this weekend and will report back (if I don’t end up downing a few Glenlivets on the 77W instead ).
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKYEG
One can dream of Hendricks
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 50 mL mini-bottle of Hendrick’s, but I googled it, and they do indeed make them!

I usually find the price of Hendrick’s is roughly the same as the others at the store (occasionally a few dollars more), and while it seems to be considered a premium gin in most airline lounges, I don’t know that I’d really consider it a huge step up from the other gins mentioned.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCChris

From an airline Food & Beverage perspective, one of my happiest moments was when Beefeater got out of the US mini market, forcing AA/UA to switch.
I miss the days of AS having Sun Liquor “hedge trimmer” gin!
SCChris likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I'm pretty sure it started in Summer 2020. All I've seen since Sept 2020 has been the Aviation (after the Bombay Sapphire stocks were finally depleted). As a gin aficionado (G&Ts are the only cocktail I'll drink inflight), I much prefer the Bombay Sapphire. Aviation is far too spicy/floral for a G&T (although it works great in some other cocktails, including an Aviation - perhaps not surprisingly). YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Bombay and Aviation are definitely very different flavors… you’d think AA would want to provide a more consistent experience, but I suppose we’re supposed to feel fortunate we’re getting any drinks at all in J, unlike Y currently.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:05 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 50 mL mini-bottle of Hendrick’s, but I googled it, and they do indeed make them!

I usually find the price of Hendrick’s is roughly the same as the others at the store (occasionally a few dollars more), and while it seems to be considered a premium gin in most airline lounges, I don’t know that I’d really consider it a huge step up from the other gins mentioned.
The liquor store at Connecticut & L NW in DC used to have good deals on nice minis (Hendricks gin, Whistlepig 10, etc), so I self-catered some of those a few years back. Don't think I've seen any Hendricks served on airplanes, though maybe Ryanair sold it.

I keep Monkey 47 at home for sipping on the rocks (with a sprig of thyme) or with a splash of Fever Tree (DFW Centurion also has Fever Tree tonic). I keep Gray Whale (a delightful California gin) in the freezer to mix with a splash of soda (the only gin that I think pairs well with soda). Wife and I once polished off a bottle of Gray Whale and a couple tall boys of Pellegrino on an Amtrak sleeper from SJC to Klamath Falls, Oregon. Good times.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Don't think I've seen any Hendricks served on airplanes, though maybe Ryanair sold it.
I believe Emirates and Virgin Australia served Hendrick's in the past. Probably a few other carriers too. I might of had it - along with Monkey 47- in LH F at some point as their featured "Spirit of the Month."

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.