Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What to do? AA asserts I changed my flight date when I didn't (long-ish story)

What to do? AA asserts I changed my flight date when I didn't (long-ish story)

Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seoul, Korea
Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Posts: 171
What to do? AA asserts I changed my flight date when I didn't (long-ish story)

The flight originated and was sold in Korea, so I'd be covered by Korean protection laws, which state this.
Link to the Korean law in English

But this is what I'd be invoking
Article 119-2 (Protection, etc. of Air Transport Users)
(1) Each air transport service provider shall formulate procedures for damage compensation and its execution plan to protect air transport users from the any of the following damage (hereinafter referred to as “damage compensation plan”): Provided, That this shall not apply where the air transport service provider proves that such damage arises from an event of force majeure, such as meteorological conditions, aircraft rotation, unscheduled maintenance for ensuring safe operation, and natural disasters that occur during the operation of airports: <Amended by Act No. 11690, Mar. 23, 2013>
1. Failure or delay of transportation by the air transport service provider;
Basically they said I called and changed it when I didn't, but I'll share what I posted to twitter.


My plan is currently to take them to small claims court in Korea (I'm currently a resident there). Korea consumer travel protections are pretty stiff, so I don't think I'd have much trouble winning especially if the call records are subpoenaed. I have submitted the contact form for customer relations, but they say 7-14 business days to get back to me and I'm buying a new flight to go back already.
elliott44k is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:51 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Small town near RNO
Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Posts: 881
How/when did you find out about it? Also did you get any other notification (usually an e-mail) from them?

If you went to the airport and got the word there then if they don't have a very serious proof (eg an email) then it's an IDB and they're now on the hook for your expenses (reasonable) including lodging and food, etc... Also there's a rather large payment due to you as well.

Did you escalate to a Supervisor and then a Manager to see what they could do? A lot of agents just do the absolute minimum and/or don't have the authority to reinstate things after a change is made, especially if there's no seats in your cabin. You'll need someone with greater authority to make anything happen.

If there was an AA FUBAR then you should get in touch with them and work something out. CS is very slow to respond, Chat and Twitter agents are usually a lot better and will almost always get the right level of people involved.

They messed up one of my reservations a while ago during a schedule change and it took a chat with a Manager to get things fixed after about a 45 minute call and being passed around from Agent to Supervisor to a Manager before they finally got it right.

If there's a connection or two involved it might just be that the system messed up with something (usually for me MCT) during the schedule change process. I've had a bunch of them where I get rebooked in the middle of the whole process when all of the changes haven't been completed in the system and the rebooking system jumps in way to early and makes an absolute mess of things and required human intervention.

Last edited by ttuna3; Oct 4, 2021 at 1:58 pm Reason: Senior Moment
ttuna3 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:54 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,805
Originally Posted by ttuna3
How/when did you find out about it? Also did you get any other notification (usually an e-mail) from them?

If you went to the airport and got the word there then if they don't have a very serious proof (eg an email) then it's an IDB and they're now on the hook for your expenses (reasonable) including lodging and food, etc... Also there's a rather large payment due to you as well.

Did you escalate to a Supervisor and then a Manager to see what they could do? A lot of agents just do the absolute minimum and/or don't have the authority to reinstate things after a change is made, especially if there's no seats in your cabin. You'll need someone with greater authority to make anything happen.

If there was an AA FUBAR then you should get in touch with them and work something out. CS is very slow to respond, Chat and Twitter agents are usually a lot better and will almost always get the right level of people involved.

They messed up one of my reservations a while ago during a schedule change and it took a chat with a Manager to get things fixed after about a 45 minute call and being passed around from Agent to Supervisor to a Manager before they finally got it right.
If you read the Twitter feed the OP linked, it gives some detail. The OP called in to inquire about changing the flights on Oct 2. AA told the OP there was no fee to change the flights and the OP said “okay” but didn’t mean “ok, make the change”. Something else transpired and they asked him what seats he wanted and at that point, his phone disconnected. He assumed no change had actually been made so didn’t check further. But AA claims “We've done an extensive review of your booking. The change of date from Oct 04 to Oct 07 was done upon your call-in request made on Oct 02”. At least that is what I garnered from the Twitter exchange he posted. It seems a case of miscommunication and misunderstanding.

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 4, 2021 at 2:01 pm
Finkface is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:12 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Small town near RNO
Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Posts: 881
FF and OP,

My Twitter isn't behaving where I'm at right now, what you said makes sense to a certain extent. I'll double check when I get to a faster connection.

I'm a little surprised that AA didn't send a confirmation email or tweet. I get both every time I change flights or dates, and a tweet when I change from my AAdvantage number to my BA number. Chat always asks me to confirm that I've at least got the email and usually has me do a quick check to see if things are all right.

Given the current state of airline IT(especially DL, AA, and TP) , I check everything any time after I deal with an agent.
ttuna3 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:53 pm
  #5  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Posts: 6,410
Originally Posted by Finkface
If you read the Twitter feed the OP linked, it gives some detail. The OP called in to inquire about changing the flights on Oct 2. AA told the OP there was no fee to change the flights and the OP said okay but didnt mean ok, make the change. Something else transpired and they asked him what seats he wanted and at that point, his phone disconnected. He assumed no change had actually been made so didnt check further. But AA claims We've done an extensive review of your booking. The change of date from Oct 04 to Oct 07 was done upon your call-in request made on Oct 02. At least that is what I garnered from the Twitter exchange he posted. It seems a case of miscommunication and misunderstanding.
Actually, at the point they asked "what seats do you want" I think that it was 100% on the OP.
sbrower is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:12 pm
  #6  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 264
There was clearly a miscommunication here, but I don't think it was on either party. The bigger issue is why did the OP have to wait 4 hours to talk to a Customer Service Agent. The Pandemic is not new now, we have been like this since February/march of last year (longer for some places) why haven't airlines been able to get their call centers properly staffed. I have been in OPs shoes, disconnected after waiting several hours to speak to a CSR. You at that point have to determine is it worth another 4 hours of time to wait to start completely over on the booking.

Any wait longer than 30 minutes at this point is unacceptable.
Uzzar likes this.
kbooks66 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:04 pm
  #7  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Posts: 6,410
Originally Posted by kbooks66
There was clearly a miscommunication here, but I don't think it was on either party. The bigger issue is why did the OP have to wait 4 hours to talk to a Customer Service Agent. The Pandemic is not new now, we have been like this since February/march of last year (longer for some places) why haven't airlines been able to get their call centers properly staffed. I have been in OPs shoes, disconnected after waiting several hours to speak to a CSR. You at that point have to determine is it worth another 4 hours of time to wait to start completely over on the booking.

Any wait longer than 30 minutes at this point is unacceptable.
I think that any wait longer than 5 minutes is unacceptable. If I want to change, cancel, buy or otherwise deal with it, they need to deal with me ASAP or else it is unreasonable to ask me to change/cancel/buy by a certain deadline. (Yes, I might defend their legal right to offer terrible customer service, but I also reserve the right to say it should be reasonable.)
sbrower is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:21 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Small town near RNO
Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Posts: 881
Finally got Twitter to behave and read OP's original thread.

I'm kind of surprised that the Twitter team even touched this one.

I do agree that OP had a major issue with CS changing the ticket on just a single OK. I was dealing with them on the phone (Skype) from Ascension Island and they were very careful to make sure that I really wanted to change things. It helped on that that I'd already checked the flights I wanted. My choices ended up with a net credit and as I noted up thread the AAgent made sure that both the change and credit emails made it to my inbox. I also did it from the ship a couple of times with the Chat team and lost the signal a couple of times and they went "All Stop" when we lost the connection (one was aa.com logging me out for inactivity) and resumed at the last spot we both had good contact and finished up from there, even if it took a couple of tries to get everything finished at least once (reservation not chat). Generally they've been very careful to make sure that that's what you really want to do before they commit anything.

I also agree with sbrower about the waits to do almost anything done with CS without a call and a long wait. I'm going to put a lot of the blame on both the actual CS bosses, the IT folks for making it necessary to call (chat, DM, whatever else) CS for what should be a routine transaction, and especially Mahogany Row (I'm looking at you Dougie and Robbie) for letting this mess continue.
ttuna3 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Programs: Costco Club
Posts: 1,103
Any Insight at to whether this was booked directly on aa.com ?
StevenSeagalFan is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:57 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seoul, Korea
Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Posts: 171
Finally got to LAX and checked in (thanks for the responses)

Originally Posted by ttuna3
How/when did you find out about it? Also did you get any other notification (usually an e-mail) from them?

If you went to the airport and got the word there then if they don't have a very serious proof (eg an email) then it's an IDB and they're now on the hook for your expenses (reasonable) including lodging and food, etc... Also there's a rather large payment due to you as well.

Did you escalate to a Supervisor and then a Manager to see what they could do? A lot of agents just do the absolute minimum and/or don't have the authority to reinstate things after a change is made, especially if there's no seats in your cabin. You'll need someone with greater authority to make anything happen.

If there was an AA FUBAR then you should get in touch with them and work something out. CS is very slow to respond, Chat and Twitter agents are usually a lot better and will almost always get the right level of people involved.

They messed up one of my reservations a while ago during a schedule change and it took a chat with a Manager to get things fixed after about a 45 minute call and being passed around from Agent to Supervisor to a Manager before they finally got it right.

If there's a connection or two involved it might just be that the system messed up with something (usually for me MCT) during the schedule change process. I've had a bunch of them where I get rebooked in the middle of the whole process when all of the changes haven't been completed in the system and the rebooking system jumps in way to early and makes an absolute mess of things and required human intervention.
So, I didnt find out until I got to the airport. I had an in-app message from 24 hours before departure telling me to check in. Since a covid test is mandatory for departure, you cant check in online. I ignored it (for good reason) until I got to the airport.

I escalated to everyone I could, but in the end everyone told me to just contact customer relations (email only). At points I was on the phone with multiple agents at the same time.

I used both twitter and phone to contact them. They did not want to help me on any platform.

It was a multi-leg itinerary and more complicated than a common roundtrip, but even one of the phone agents confirmed that they dont normally make a change unless the customer confirms it multiple times. I was informed that they do place the temporary reservation to check the price, otherwise the other team wont check the price.

Originally Posted by Finkface
If you read the Twitter feed the OP linked, it gives some detail. The OP called in to inquire about changing the flights on Oct 2. AA told the OP there was no fee to change the flights and the OP said okay but didnt mean ok, make the change. Something else transpired and they asked him what seats he wanted and at that point, his phone disconnected. He assumed no change had actually been made so didnt check further. But AA claims We've done an extensive review of your booking. The change of date from Oct 04 to Oct 07 was done upon your call-in request made on Oct 02. At least that is what I garnered from the Twitter exchange he posted. It seems a case of miscommunication and misunderstanding.
So nothing else transpired, I said okay expecting it to be the end and stopped holding my phone like an idiot to try to maintain service. I heard the seat question right before disconnecting. I do understand that it may be some miscommunication, but the system on my end didnt update. I work in tech, and if the change had persisted early enough I wouldnt have gotten the app notification. If they are hard coding those notifications without checking for itinerary changes first, thats poor programming on the companys end and is there fault.

Originally Posted by ttuna3
FF and OP,

My Twitter isn't behaving where I'm at right now, what you said makes sense to a certain extent. I'll double check when I get to a faster connection.

I'm a little surprised that AA didn't send a confirmation email or tweet. I get both every time I change flights or dates, and a tweet when I change from my AAdvantage number to my BA number. Chat always asks me to confirm that I've at least got the email and usually has me do a quick check to see if things are all right.

Given the current state of airline IT(especially DL, AA, and TP) , I check everything any time after I deal with an agent.
I got no confirmations ever, but they do assert that they sent the emails. I have no record of receipt through gmail, no matter how hard I look.

Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, at the point they asked "what seats do you want" I think that it was 100% on the OP.
I disagree with this as I had no reason to expect a question like that when my request was so specific.


Originally Posted by kbooks66
There was clearly a miscommunication here, but I don't think it was on either party. The bigger issue is why did the OP have to wait 4 hours to talk to a Customer Service Agent. The Pandemic is not new now, we have been like this since February/march of last year (longer for some places) why haven't airlines been able to get their call centers properly staffed. I have been in OPs shoes, disconnected after waiting several hours to speak to a CSR. You at that point have to determine is it worth another 4 hours of time to wait to start completely over on the booking.

Any wait longer than 30 minutes at this point is unacceptable.
I also dont understand why they cant just call me back, they have all my information pulled up. My phone number is 100% in their records. In the morning around 7am EST, the system said a 15-ish minute wait so I stayed on hold. I was on hold for over an hour

Originally Posted by sbrower
I think that any wait longer than 5 minutes is unacceptable. If I want to change, cancel, buy or otherwise deal with it, they need to deal with me ASAP or else it is unreasonable to ask me to change/cancel/buy by a certain deadline. (Yes, I might defend their legal right to offer terrible customer service, but I also reserve the right to say it should be reasonable.)
The bigger problem is that I couldnt change my itinerary online at all. If I clicked the button, it told me to call. The problem is when the ticket originates in a foreign country and is sold in that country, they are bound to that countrys laws. Luckily for me, Korea has heavy consumer protections for this, which is why theyre legally obligated to have this damage collection form.

Airline required legal damage relief claim form

Originally Posted by ttuna3
Finally got Twitter to behave and read OP's original thread.

I'm kind of surprised that the Twitter team even touched this one.

I do agree that OP had a major issue with CS changing the ticket on just a single OK. I was dealing with them on the phone (Skype) from Ascension Island and they were very careful to make sure that I really wanted to change things. It helped on that that I'd already checked the flights I wanted. My choices ended up with a net credit and as I noted up thread the AAgent made sure that both the change and credit emails made it to my inbox. I also did it from the ship a couple of times with the Chat team and lost the signal a couple of times and they went "All Stop" when we lost the connection (one was aa.com logging me out for inactivity) and resumed at the last spot we both had good contact and finished up from there, even if it took a couple of tries to get everything finished at least once (reservation not chat). Generally they've been very careful to make sure that that's what you really want to do before they commit anything.

I also agree with sbrower about the waits to do almost anything done with CS without a call and a long wait. I'm going to put a lot of the blame on both the actual CS bosses, the IT folks for making it necessary to call (chat, DM, whatever else) CS for what should be a routine transaction, and especially Mahogany Row (I'm looking at you Dougie and Robbie) for letting this mess continue.
I felt bad because I knew my anger wasnt necessarily at the many agents I talked to on the phone. A couple of them definitely refused to attempt to help and felt my rage though. I spent 5-6 hours on the phone and in the end had to buy another ticket via star alliance carriers, transfer to another airport, and am still sitting at LAX waiting to finally depart to Korea. Why I couldnt edit my flight online? I will never know.

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Any Insight at to whether this was booked directly on aa.com ?
I priced the flight via google flights, and then booked directly, but instead of sending me to the regular AA site I booked through some AA amadeus site. I was never able to make itinerary changes online, and it always took like 30+ minutes to get a price check for a change. I actually changed a few legs and inquired previously, since my schedule was changing a lot. Thats why I dont understand why this happened for this leg only. If a mistake was going to happen, what about the other 3 price change inquiries I made for shorter domestic legs?
elliott44k is offline  
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:36 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Small town near RNO
Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Posts: 881
Sounds like AA at its "best"

Hopefully you saved a copy somewhere of the app message somehow which should be more than enough proof that AA messed this one up big time.
Hopefully you'll get relief in Korea since this one sure looks open and shut to me (non lawyer)
Also don't forget to file a complaint with the US DOT since AA did manage to break a couple of laws and regulations over here as well.

Hope everything has worked out so far and good luck.

Last edited by ttuna3; Oct 6, 2021 at 10:52 pm
ttuna3 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:25 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 21,421
Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, at the point they asked "what seats do you want" I think that it was 100% on the OP.
No matter who is at fault, I certainly would check the booking immediately after getting the phone connection dropped after hearing this question, because it is generally happens AFTER a flight change. I think there was a misunderstanding , but I would havee checked the booking after hearing this question, and losing the phone connection. My travel is more important to me to trust no mistakes will be made with a call such as this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
Posts: 2,637
I priced the flight via google flights, and then booked directly, but instead of sending me to the regular AA site I booked through some AA amadeus site.
Please explain this one--meaning what website you actually booked on. Sure sounds like you got poached over to an OTA website.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 7, 2021 at 11:24 am
jayer is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:43 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seoul, Korea
Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Sounds like AA at its "best"

Hopefully you saved a copy somewhere of the app message somehow which should be more than enough proof that AA messed this one up big time.
Hopefully you'll get relief in Korea since this one sure looks open and shut to me (non lawyer)
Also don't forget to file a complaint with the US DOT since AA did manage to break a couple of laws and regulations over here as well.

Hope everything has worked out so far and good luck.
I've submitted for damages in Korea, and it has a pretty straightforward process where if American doesn't settle then the next step escalates it to the Consumer Protection Agency. I also submitted a US DOT complaint after getting a response from AA CSR.

Originally Posted by mvoight
No matter who is at fault, I certainly would check the booking immediately after getting the phone connection dropped after hearing this question, because it is generally happens AFTER a flight change. I think there was a misunderstanding , but I would havee checked the booking after hearing this question, and losing the phone connection. My travel is more important to me to trust no mistakes will be made with a call such as this.
I understand the sentiment and will likely be more careful in the future, but with this being my first trip back to the US since Covid I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my loved ones. I didn't want to have to think about when AA was gonna connect me over the next 4 hours again. I wanted to be able to enjoy the time.

Originally Posted by jayer
Please explain this one--meaning what website you actually booked on. Sure sounds like you got poached over to an OTA website.
If you click this Flights link, when you click book on aa it goes to bookaa.amadeus.com. That's what I was referring to. It was not an OTA, but just a bit different from their regular booking platform on their site. I believe this is the platform that generally gets used for overseas sales, but not 100% on that.
elliott44k is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by jayer
Please explain this one--meaning what website you actually booked on. Sure sounds like you got poached over to an OTA website.
If I recall correctly, AA's ticketing system is Amadeus (as is used by many other airlines). I think in many markets outside the U.S., flights are booked through Amadeus' interface.
rucksack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.