Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple iOS 15= no AA IFE playback

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by skunker
That's probably not something you want to put on your resume.
He can likely retire when he feels like it. No need to go anywhere else once he’s done at Apple.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EP
Movies wouldn’t work for two of us yesterday. Live TV and WiFi worked, but when starting a movie, nothing would play except the Bonvoy commercial. Tried chrome and safari. Anyone else still having issues?
ranran likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
No streaming movies for me last weekend either on iOS 15.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Thank you all for saving me from updating! Wow.

All the best, James
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:14 pm

Sounds like iOS 15 was an enhAAncement
Old Oct 17, 2021, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
It worked fine for me on my iPad on Monday, Oct 11. I had updated the iOS a few days earlier.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Hi All,

I’m currently in the air and am unable to get movies to play on my iPad 9. Used the chat feature to contact via sat and was told that there is an issue with playback when running iOS 15. There is currently no fix so they basically told ,e I’m out of luck and gave me a Wi-Fi code.

thought you all would want to know!
I was on a four hour flight this past Friday and return flight on Sunday with an IPad 9 and Pro 13 max and had the same issue- we got the same reply. They haven’t fixed it yet and I have no intention of flying American again at the very least until they do- and to the browser question, both I tried in Chrome and Safari.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Wish I saw this post last week! Was driving me nuts that my ipad and phone would not work. What's painful is that the ads all work so I watched the stupid Marriott Bonvoy ad 15 times trying to get a movie to load. Finally had to use my laptop to watch Black Widow last Friday. Thanks for the heads up! Reason #723 that IFE in the seatback might be better. I have been been on several plane this year where the Wifi and wireless entertainment was down
airb330 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Known bug in iOS15 - fixed in *FORTHCOMING* iOS 15.1

Browser based playback has copy protection via something called Fairplay DRM
iOS15 broke this and it's regardless of which browser you use as the Fairplay DRM uses an OS implementation

Suffice to say, this bug is fixed in forthcoming iOS15.1 - this has affected other developers and not just AA's Viasat video platform
More details on Apple developer site
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/690429
SK, onanisland, SKYEG and 2 others like this.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Oct 23, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Old Oct 23, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Browser based playback has copy protection via something called Fairplay DRM
iOS15 broke this and it's regardless of which browser you use as the Fairplay DRM uses an OS implementation

Suffice to say, this bug is fixed in forthcoming iOS15.1 - this has affected other developers and not just AA's Viasat video platform
More details on Apple developer site
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/690429
any word on when this is coming? I was going to throw my phone across the aisle … didn’t know it was an issue with the OS. Now I’m even more annoyed.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SKYEG
any word on when this is coming? I was going to throw my phone across the aisle … didn’t know it was an issue with the OS. Now I’m even more annoyed.
iOS 15 was Apple's version of Oasis
ijgordon, la2clt, SKYEG and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
It worked fine for me on my iPad on Monday, Oct 11. I had updated the iOS a few days earlier.
Very odd. It worked fine about 2 weeks ago, then today none of the pre-loaded movies or tv shows would work. I was relegated to Live TV.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 4:13 pm

Not working as of 20 Oct

Did not work on my iPhone (15.0.2) nor iPad (15.0.1). Definitely not a fun LAX to HNL flight with no entertainment! No music option either. Only commercials and movie trailers. Movies worked on my wife’s chromebook. She enjoyed the flight.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Speculation is this coming Monday (Oct 25), but take that with a grain of salt (a few Apple sites reporting that)
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
The update (15.1) has arrived. If anyone has upgraded and has since used IFE playback for movies, and had problems with it in the past, please let us know if it is now working. Otherwise I’ll carry a book later this week. Thx
SKYEG likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.