Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

October 1-31 2021 widebody schedule out w/ more routes domestically

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 1-31 2021 widebody schedule out w/ more routes domestically

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:54 am

It seemed that the widebodies on PHL-SFO/LAX/LAS pre-covid were aimed at two priorities:
1.) Providing a consistent widebody product West Coast - PHL - Europe
2.) Providing a lie-flat product on a redeye to attract a premium

Right now #1 is non-existent as AA has virtually no TA presence and is seemingly driving few connections through PHL.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:00 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by fly747first
PHL LAX/SFO having a widebody is nothing new. Even before Covid, there was an A332 on these routes.

You are also forgetting than many passengers connect in PHL so this makes it easier for AA to fill the F cabin.
Agree that pre COVID, there were widebodies on this route but it was sporadic. I can think of many times when booking PHL-LAX there were only narrowbodies. I'm guessing the connections in PHL are from LA to Europe and vice-versa, with a smaller handful being connections from some East coast smaller markets. If I were to venture a guess, the route is probably more O&D these days.

Perhaps once the FL opens in PHL (in 2026) they'll put a consistent widebody and market it as a Flagship route.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
It seemed that the widebodies on PHL-SFO/LAX/LAS pre-covid were aimed at two priorities:
1.) Providing a consistent widebody product West Coast - PHL - Europe
2.) Providing a lie-flat product on a redeye to attract a premium

Right now #1 is non-existent as AA has virtually no TA presence and is seemingly driving few connections through PHL.
Regarding #1 - obviously the TA market is brutal now - everywhere. But i also sometimes feel the need to remind people that Philly is one of the largest economies in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP

Regarding #2 - the lie flat PHL-LAX was almost never a red eye over the last 3-4 years Pre-Covid. It was a late afternoon PHL-LAX flight, and an early morning LAX-PHL return.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Regarding #2 - the lie flat PHL-LAX was almost never a red eye over the last 3-4 years Pre-Covid. It was a late afternoon PHL-LAX flight, and an early morning LAX-PHL return.
Pre COVID, during the winter I remember a red-eye LAX-PHL being operated by an A330-200/300. Although, it was not year-round.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That A330 flight was probably the only AA A330 at LAX. So, the reason there was no red eye was likely because the same crew that flew the late afternoon PHL-LAX would fly it back the next day after their required rest. Now with the widebody fleet simplified to 777 and 787 aircraft, those crews can be utilized for further exLAX flights that may or may not be going back to PHL.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PHL

Perhaps once the FL opens in PHL (in 2026) they'll put a consistent widebody and market it as a Flagship route.
DFW-HNL/OGG are now sold as Flagship and they don't get FL in the islands either (just the weird AA/JL lounge at HNL); very much doubt PHL will ever get FL service for domestic runs but it's nice to have widebodies to LAX and SFO.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by PHL
That A330 flight was probably the only AA A330 at LAX. So, the reason there was no red eye was likely because the same crew that flew the late afternoon PHL-LAX would fly it back the next day after their required rest. Now with the widebody fleet simplified to 777 and 787 aircraft, those crews can be utilized for further exLAX flights that may or may not be going back to PHL.
I remember a more frequent widebody redeye on LAS-PHL, maybe also SFO-PHL
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:20 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAS and SFO getting A330 service presented the same crew logical issues I mentioned above. An errant 330 transcon to destinations that aren't 330 bases is terrible for utilization since the crew has the mandatory rest while the plane sites for about 10 hours before it can be flown back.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:52 pm

I was told that a lot of the 787s have been relaxing in Tulsa? Hence, routes that typically have at least one WB like PHL - LAX haven't had one in weeks, and don't look to have one for months out...

Anyone know what's going on?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I was told that a lot of the 787s have been relaxing in Tulsa? Hence, routes that typically have at least one WB like PHL - LAX haven't had one in weeks, and don't look to have one for months out...

Anyone know what's going on?
The 787's are not relaxing in Tulsa. They have not been delivered due to Boeing issues so AA had had to stretch its existing fleet to cover long haul flying.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:03 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The domestic widebodies that we saw last year have slowly made their way back to international routes - even some with only cargo. As we get closer to the Summer 2022, we will see more of them on long haul international routes - in particular European destinations. Suffice it to say, the domestic preponderance of widebodies may become a thing of the past except the repositioning flights between major hubs. Bottom line - don't book a domestic trip with a widebody expecting it will 100% be the equipment assigned to your route on day of flight.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by PHL
The domestic widebodies that we saw last year have slowly made their way back to international routes - even some with only cargo. As we get closer to the Summer 2022, we will see more of them on long haul international routes - in particular European destinations. Suffice it to say, the domestic preponderance of widebodies may become a thing of the past except the repositioning flights between major hubs. Bottom line - don't book a domestic trip with a widebody expecting it will 100% be the equipment assigned to your route on day of flight.
Didn't AA pretty much say that the widebodies were scheduled to the max for international this summer? If anything, I expect the opposite as a few widebodies are added back into the domestic schedule when some international flights are cancelled this summer because bookings suck due to international travel still being a PITA due to Covid.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:46 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they stick with the plan to fully utilize their widebodies on international, then the best we can hope for is some repositioning routes between hubs.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by PHL
If they stick with the plan to fully utilize their widebodies on international, then the best we can hope for is some repositioning routes between hubs.
True, I'm just skeptical that all the widebody international routes scheduled for this summer are going to stick.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just awful, I got to enjoy the LAX-PHL 787's in J at the end of last year, and it's so much better than the A321's. I'm hoping they bring a widebody back to the route, but if it's all back to internationally, just more scraps for the rest of us in this route. Since I exclusively take redeye's, I'm really contemplating taking an earlier B6 Mint to EWR and just driving down ~1.5 hours to my client which in NJ just across the bridge from PHL.

Also, how long has AA said PHL FL for now? Is 2026 a joke or are we really looking at 2026? Sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.