Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying domestic routes with widebodies: “One Of The Best Decisions We Made”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

https://simpleflying.com/american-widebody-redeployment-best-decision/

American Airlines took the decision not to return to a number of seasonal summer destinations in Europe this year. Instead, it focused on deploying its widebodies into the domestic market. Speaking with Simple Flying, American Airlines’ Chief Revenue Officer Vasu Raja explained why this was such a great decision.

The widebodies that American Airlines would usually have been flying to Europe and other long-haul destinations had a very different mission this summer. While the airline maintained its connections to some major points in the international market, many of its widebody aircraft were instead deployed onto domestic routes, giving the airline higher gauge while international travel remained tricky.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 24, 2021 at 1:06 pm Reason: FT Rule 7: Linking Content to other websites
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:43 pm

Hope this continues. We booked a return flight from OGG to DFW next August on a 777-200ER. Definitely don't want to be downgraded from lie-flat business to recliner first class.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
You will get no arguments from me. As a mid-level elite, the free premium economy seating is the best bargain in the system right now. And, on the off chance that I shockingly get upgraded, there's a lie flat seat waiting for me. If I was in the regular Y cabin, however, I don't see how it would be any better aside from the seat back monitor.
becks1, taxatty56 and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
One of things that keeps in Miami (at least for now) is the availability of wide body flights on AA out of MIA. I notice now that when you book a domestic flight that is a wide body route AA advertises "lie flat seats" as an incentive to pay for F.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:51 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
This is probably more about not choosing to compete for rock bottom yields in international markets than about domestic widebody flying being such a win.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:55 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
This article is interesting, since it differs with what they said previously about domestic widebodies:
He said that “if you have a wide-body plane, you bought that aircraft for long-haul flying… I can fly two [single-aisle] Airbus A320s or A321s for the same price as one wide-body on a per-seat basis. Economically, if I can offer two different schedule options on a narrow-body… that’ll be better for passenger choice than a single domestic wide-body.”
from: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...-aug-sep-2021/

Speaking directly on the economics, it seems like they were able to actually use the widebodies domestically profitably. Whether that's specifically talking about DFW, ORD, and CLT to Hawaii flying, or the short ORD-DFW or DFW-LAX legs that I've done, or overall combined is unclear, but I'm certainly glad it's working out for them, as I love the lie flat seats, no matter how short the flight.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:59 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Hope this continues. We booked a return flight from OGG to DFW next August on a 777-200ER. Definitely don't want to be downgraded from lie-flat business to recliner first class.
At 3244nm, I didn't think OGG-DFW is in danger of being down-guaged to a narrow body with domestic F config. Your bigger concern should be them dropping that route and sending you through LAX or PHX, at which point you would more likely be getting the domestic F product.
TWA884, haroon145, N1120A and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I don't care how big or small the plane is, if the seat OPTIONS are the same. The takeaway? Put lie-flats on more planes, and have a decent amount of MCE legroom on all of them. Then sure, fly more times, on smaller planes.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Very happy with this and taking full advantage while it lasts! Thanks AA. DFW-PHX/PHL/ORD has been the most surprising and enjoyabe.
S80, Auto Enthusiast and slpybear like this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Sep 24, 2021 at 3:23 pm
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by VFR
This is probably more about not choosing to compete for rock bottom yields in international markets than about domestic widebody flying being such a win.
Sounds like a rare situation where it's win/win! Parker avoids competing on low yield markets, coach on a widebody (sans 787) is more comfortable than a narrowbody, elites are getting PE upgrades for free, and F passengers are getting pods and lay flats!
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
If I was in the regular Y cabin, however, I don't see how it would be any better aside from the seat back monitor.
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I don't care how big or small the plane is, if the seat OPTIONS are the same.
Personally, I find that the economy cabin on wide-bodies feels more spacious when compared to their narrower cousins. Even if the seating width/pitch is identical, I'd strongly prefer the larger plane.

In fact, I'd pay a little extra or select a slightly less appealing routing (i.e. longer connection) to fly on a larger plane.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Having flown an A380 in J from Dubai to Muscat, a <40 minute flight, and being served a hot, full, breakfast, I have personally experienced what is possible. US domestic carriers/flights are barely inching themselves off the bottom of the barrel. A shame they believe the only path to success is to pander to the absolute lowest common denominator and fly the worst, most outdated equipment.. Tiniest glimmer of hope with flying these widebodies domestically.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Kudos to American also for maintaining Main Cabin only pricing, even at Basic Economy levels in the domestic market. I know many people are choosing to fly American over competitors for this, even if the service levels fall short. Widebody upgrades for elites too are very nice.

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Having flown an A380 in J from Dubai to Muscat, a <40 minute flight, and being served a hot, full, breakfast, I have personally experienced what is possible. US domestic carriers/flights are barely inching themselves off the bottom of the barrel. A shame they believe the only path to success is to pander to the absolute lowest common denominator and fly the worst, most outdated equipment.. Tiniest glimmer of hope with flying these widebodies domestically.
You're also paying 3x the price. I am not that impressed with ME3 customer service, both on the ground and in the air, either.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by keitherson
Kudos to American also for maintaining Main Cabin only pricing, even at Basic Economy levels in the domestic market. I know many people are choosing to fly American over competitors for this, even if the service levels fall short. Widebody upgrades for elites too are very nice.

You're also paying 3x the price. I am not that impressed with ME3 customer service, both on the ground and in the air, either.
Someone even fly AA for fun on a lie-flat because of this 🤣🤣
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by keitherson
Not factually possible to make a statement like that on price. Plenty of deals floating around for all carriers. Maybe you paid 3x price for a comparable flight distance

QR in-air J service is inarguably the best in the world. Every time. EK and EY are 9/10 far superior to any US domestic J. Aegean blows US carriers out of the water. US carriers J in-flight service is right there at the bottom, just above Turkish Airlines. It's a personal opinion, no doubt, as to which airlines you are impressed with.

AA should be providing lay-flat J/F on ALL flights over two hours.
smartytravel and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.