Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Time to clamp down on the wheelchair ........

Time to clamp down on the wheelchair ........

Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:44 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,996
Time to clamp down on the wheelchair ........

AA needs to start clamping down on wheelchair abuse. It's getting absurd with many people requesting them and not using them on arrival. I am usually the last pax to deboard and I am seeing 5-10 lined up wheelchairs on the jetway empty.

Wheelchairs are important for those that need them. Abusing this results in delays for passengers that actually need them and clogs up the jetway for everyone else.
Markie, SK, Dallas49er and 11 others like this.
Antarius is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:09 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: BNA
Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 54
LGA-MIA is the worst route for this. Somehow 20 people who couldn't walk down the jet bridge and needed assistance with their luggage are now trying to box you out of the isle so they can be the first off the plane.
ICN1K, cemlaw, becks1 and 1 others like this.
nole1 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:11 pm
  #3  
TBD
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TPA
Programs: All The Programs
Posts: 2,192
Originally Posted by nole1
LGA-MIA is the worst route for this.
I am shocked that passengers between NYC and Miami would be stereotyped in a negative way. This is a gross injustice. /s
dw, dls25, platbrownguy and 16 others like this.

Last edited by TBD; Sep 13, 2021 at 8:23 pm Reason: To be clear: This is sarcasm.
TBD is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:40 pm
  #4  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,324
Until/unless a regulatory agency provides guidance (like with emotional support animals), AA wont do anything itd be too much of a legal landmine for them. Whats the line in determining who is entitled to a wheelchair? Who determines what documentation is required?
awayIgo and rdlmitedu like this.
dw is online now  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:52 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,996
Originally Posted by dw
Until/unless a regulatory agency provides guidance (like with emotional support animals), AA wont do anything itd be too much of a legal landmine for them. Whats the line in determining who is entitled to a wheelchair? Who determines what documentation is required?
I'm not advocating that AA deny wheelchairs. Just potentially implement a stiff "one way" charge. My complaint is the passengers who magically get cured mid flight and no longer need one on arrival.

But yes, you're right - it likely needs some sort of federal guidelines.
Antarius is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 3,591
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA needs to start clamping down on wheelchair abuse. It's getting absurd with many people requesting them and not using them on arrival. I am usually the last pax to deboard and I am seeing 5-10 lined up wheelchairs on the jetway empty.

Wheelchairs are important for those that need them. Abusing this results in delays for passengers that actually need them and clogs up the jetway for everyone else.
Ok [deleted]
The only impact that wheelchairs have on you, is that you have to walk around them when deplaning. What's the big deal?

And BTW, the term "abuse" in this context seems to imply that people who do not need a wheel chair do get away with getting one, which provides some sort of benefit?
There is absolutely no benefit to requesting a wheelchair.
My 80+ year old mother can't walk long distances because she gets unbearable knee pains. Still, she has the right to fly to come and visit me right?
She is always complaining about long waits for the wheel chair and complete disorganization of the chair handlers (under airport responsibility and varies by airport).
I myself requested for a wheel chair when I broke a leg right before a trip to Berlin and was left in between terminal A and C in Dallas waiting forever for a change of handler (not sure why)

Just ignore them and walk around them.

Last edited by carlosdca; Sep 13, 2021 at 10:46 pm
carlosdca is online now  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:06 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Palm Beach
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by TBD
I am shocked that passengers between NYC and Miami would be stereotyped in a negative way. This is a gross injustice.
Good point. There are lots of routes with this issue. NYC-FLL, NYC-PBI, ISP-PBI, ISP-FLL....
bosman, dpb132, SJOGuy and 7 others like this.
PBIGuy is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 120
Maybe the reason your mom is having long waits for the wheelchair is due to the large number of people abusing the service, which is the original point of this thread.

The original post is not anti-wheelchairs.
SK, Mwenenzi, roberto99 and 29 others like this.
ewoo is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:18 pm
  #9  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,324
I think this is a bigger issue on WN due to the lack of assigned seats- pre-boarders can choose any seat they want with the exception of exit rows.

At least on AA, people who pre-board dont impact our seat assignments, and for those of us with status, it doesnt impact our ability to find overhead bin space near our seats.
dw is online now  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 3,591
Originally Posted by ewoo
Maybe the reason your mom is having long waits for the wheelchair is due to the large number of people abusing the service, which is the original point of this thread.

The original post is not anti-wheelchairs.
Good point.
She is one of those that strikes a conversation with anybody about nothing (god help them, lol) and she always makes all sorts of seniors friends while she waits for her wheel chair.
Never heard her complain about some totally able youngling using the system.
carlosdca is online now  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:51 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 120
At the risk of veering away from the topic, I wish there some sort of "airport buddy" service that seniors could use to help them navigate security and the airport.

I do think many people are not trying to abuse the system but are totally bewildered/overwhelmed by the airport experience in 2021 (and who can blame them?) and requesting a wheelchair is a way to ensure that you will have a friendly person to help you get where you're going.

I also think another way to solve the "miracle flight" issue would be be to simply allow "one-way" wheelchairs. Going through security with your luggage is a very intimidating and arduous process....it's less difficult once you've arrived at your destination.

Just a thought.
ewoo is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:54 pm
  #12  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,324
Originally Posted by ewoo
Going through security with your luggage is a very intimidating and arduous process....it's less difficult once you've arrived at your destination.
Thats actually a very good point- some people who may have the mobility to make it from the gate to the airport exit may still be unable to stand and wait in a potentially long security line.
dw is online now  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:55 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 35,148
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Ok, Karen.
The only impact that wheelchairs have on you, is that you have to walk around them when deplaning. What's the big deal?

And BTW, the term "abuse" in this context seems to imply that people who do not need a wheel chair do get away with getting one, which provides some sort of benefit?
There is absolutely no benefit to requesting a wheelchair.
I'm more annoyed about the 20 healthy people who request wheelchairs so they can pre-board with their families.
vasantn is online now  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,360
For many folks, the issue isn't walking as much as it is standing and waiting.

At the time a passenger has to make the request to the airline, it's impossible to know if there will be a huge line to check-in, a huge line at security, or if the departure gate will be near or far. A reasonable person will reserve the wheelchair, just to be safe.

And until you arrive, the passenger doesn't know if the gate will be near or far to the airport exit. If it's near, some passengers will not need the wheelchair. Additionally, since there's no standing in long lines upon arrival, some passengers won't need assistance and will forgo the extra assistance.

It's been some time since I've worked with airline systems, but I'm fairly certain the wheelchair Special Service Requests (SSRs) aren't customizable. They apply to the entire trip. You can't say you only need the wheelchair for the departure airport.

-----

PS. Sorry ewoo. After I posted I noticed that you made the same point before I did.
Originally Posted by ewoo
I also think another way to solve the "miracle flight" issue would be be to simply allow "one-way" wheelchairs. Going through security with your luggage is a very intimidating and arduous process....it's less difficult once you've arrived at your destination.
dw, Loren Pechtel, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:39 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 10,884
It's none of my concern who requests a wheelchair and why and i dont see how other pax qualify to make such judgement. I prefer minding my own business - what matters to me is what service i get. Cheers!
azepine00 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.