Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Use of portable CPAP on overnight flight during mask mandate

Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec

Hello, curious what is allowed with regard to CPAPs during the mask mandate. I have a small, portable, battery powered designed specifically for plane travel. On an overnight flight in business class, will I be permitted to use it at all? Perhaps with a mask over it?

I looked on AA.com and didn’t see anything specific to this topic. Any personal experience in this regard will be much appreciated.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:27 pm

I regularly use my full-face CPAP mask on several airlines, including AA, without any issue. I suspect YMMV if you use a nose-only mask.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I need to google what a cpap is.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:08 pm

I flew home from Sydney to LAX and used my nasal pillow CPAP mask without issue.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I need to google what a cpap is.
Breathing assistance unit. Usually for sleep apnea to keep an airway open. Unfortunately I know all too well. Think of it as ram air for aging baby boomers.

But I can't sleep on an airplane anyway so I just pack mine. This usually leads to TSA hilarity because half the time they want it out and swab it. Then I get a lecture for leaving it in my suitcase and slowing down the Pre-check line while they drag it out. The other half of the time they don't want it out, but I have pulled it out since the last guy lectured me. Then I get a lecture for slowing down the Pre-Check line by having something unnecessary in a bin that can stay in the suitcase.
bbbb, onanisland, rayfes and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:17 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jayer
Think of it as ram air for aging baby boomers.
This made me laugh so hard
So you could save your battery life by just being connected up to the ram air from the aircraft...
catmndu and Tanic like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:44 pm

I used mine at the beginning of August on AA First, MIA to LHR, and on Air Canada Business Athens to Toronto, both without anyone questioning it.
(nasal pillow mask)
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:57 pm

Breathing assistance unit. Usually for sleep apnea to keep an airway open. Unfortunately I know all too well. Think of it as ram air for aging baby boomers.

But I can't sleep on an airplane anyway so I just pack mine. This usually leads to TSA hilarity because half the time they want it out and swab it. Then I get a lecture for leaving it in my suitcase and slowing down the Pre-check line while they drag it out. The other half of the time they don't want it out, but I have pulled it out since the last guy lectured me. Then I get a lecture for slowing down the Pre-Check line by having something unnecessary in a bin that can stay in the suitcase.
Suggestion: Write to TSA to find out what you should do in your exact situation, and follow that. Carry a printout of their reply to give to someone who says you should have done the opposite.

To be clear, I am not saying to give anyone a hard time because they simply ask/tell you to do something (e.g., to take the CPAP out). Just comply -- that is normal -- some things depend on status of screening equipment at that place/time and on officer discretion.

I am talking about the situation you describe where they "lecture" you on what you should have known or should have done, i.e., they claim that you already did something wrong. At that point you can show them the official TSA reply to your question -- i.e., what should be your going-in posture (CPAP in or out) until any further directions are given. They may ask you to do something different on the spot, but it shouldn't be a lecture if you had the correct going-in posture.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Sep 12, 2021 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 12, 2021, 6:06 pm

TSA, about an hour ago here in ATL, asked me for the first time ever to take out the modem in my CPAP. After confirming, I took out the modem and when she saw it replied, "that's not what I wanted to see" and told me to pack it all back up again and walked away.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
TSA, about an hour ago here in ATL, asked me for the first time ever to take out the modem in my CPAP. After confirming, I took out the modem and when she saw it replied, "that's not what I wanted to see" and told me to pack it all back up again and walked away.
Ive used a CPAP for over 10 years and would have looked at her like a deer in headlights, I would have no idea what the modem is in my CPAP?!?!
Tanic likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I am curious about this. CPAP is an aerosol-generating device.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by Spanish
When used as referenced in this thread, CPAP is purely an air movement device. No aerosol at all. If anything, the air that is moved may be humidified, but that is it.
Tanic likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Spanish
Only so if there is a water canister attached to it, which I do not believe is the case for the battery-operated ones designed for inflight use.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
When used as referenced in this thread, CPAP is purely an air movement device. No aerosol at all. If anything, the air that is moved may be humidified, but that is it.
don’t think that’s true, there are little vents in the mask. That’s where the aerosol comes from (pressurized air in the nasal cavity gets exhaled). Might also be true if nasal pillows as well

i will need to use one if allowed but will be taking a test prior to flying.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 13, 2021 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Only so if there is a water canister attached to it, which I do not believe is the case for the battery-operated ones designed for inflight use.
not true, it was a big issue in hospitals.
Spanish likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.