Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Use of portable CPAP on overnight flight during mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of portable CPAP on overnight flight during mask mandate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Back to OP's question - I would contact the medical desk to determine the expectations. I would imagine that this falls under the medical exception for mask mandate, and the Special Assistance desk can answer both questions. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...al-devices.jsp

Originally Posted by jayer
Breathing assistance unit. Usually for sleep apnea to keep an airway open. Unfortunately I know all too well. Think of it as ram air for aging baby boomers.

But I can't sleep on an airplane anyway so I just pack mine. This usually leads to TSA hilarity because half the time they want it out and swab it. Then I get a lecture for leaving it in my suitcase and slowing down the Pre-check line while they drag it out. The other half of the time they don't want it out, but I have pulled it out since the last guy lectured me. Then I get a lecture for slowing down the Pre-Check line by having something unnecessary in a bin that can stay in the suitcase.
Here's my personal experience:
  • When it's in its own bag - does not require separate bin, and does not count toward carry-on luggage allowance
  • In the luggage - Require separate bin - it's the same issue with some of the food items, where the TSA guy can't determine the content based on the scan. My work around is to carry a separate tote with just the CPAP, and stuff both back in the luggage after TSA.
  • Canada security - always place in separate bin

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Ive used a CPAP for over 10 years and would have looked at her like a deer in headlights, I would have no idea what the modem is in my CPAP?!?!
It's usually attached to an older model (5+ old ResMed). All new models have built-in modem.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfront
Hello, curious what is allowed with regard to CPAPs during the mask mandate. I have a small, portable, battery powered designed specifically for plane travel. On an overnight flight in business class, will I be permitted to use it at all? Perhaps with a mask over it?
I use a nasal mask and my most recent experience was United, but I just put on my CPAP mask and then put my face mask over it. I thought it might be uncomfortable, but it wasn't. Note: I don't notify UA anymore if I'm going to use it on a flight as the last time I did it, it locked my reservation and I went into IRROPS, which meant I had repeated hassles trying to change flights/seats. I haven't flown AA on an overnight in awhile, so ymmv.

Originally Posted by beachfan
i will need to use one if allowed but will be taking a test prior to flying.
Does this mean that you don't currently use a CPAP and are waiting to be prescribed one? If so, just be warned that getting used to it can be challenging; it took me 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks I would wake up to find out that I had ripped the mask off in my sleep (never woke up enough to realize I was doing it.) I knew if I kept at it, I would get used to it. I think some people adapt easily and some it takes longer, so just be prepared for that if you are thinking about getting it and then using it during a flight soon after.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I need to google what a cpap is.
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by beachfan
not true, it was a big issue in hospitals.
Still is...
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
Originally Posted by flyupfront
Hello, curious what is allowed with regard to CPAPs during the mask mandate. I have a small, portable, battery powered designed specifically for plane travel. On an overnight flight in business class, will I be permitted to use it at all? Perhaps with a mask over it?

I looked on AA.com and didn’t see anything specific to this topic. Any personal experience in this regard will be much appreciated.
Flew OGG to DFW overnight in May, my wife had to try and fit the mask over the CPAP mask best she could , but did use it with no questions. (We were in first with layflats so not sure if that made a diff for flight att)
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I flew to Amsterdam a few weeks ago in Business Class. I did not ask to use mine. I use the nose pillows (P10). I just put my cloth mask over the top, and nobody said a word. They likely didn’t even notice.
Spanish likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Been traveling with my cpap for many many years. Have not taken it our of my carryon/roll on bag in at least 5 years - probably longer.

I do not take the water.humidifier unit with me anymore.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Using a CPAP while onboard?

I have an upcoming International flight (JFK-EZE) and was wondering if anyone on this forum uses a CPAP while onboard and if they encountered any issues recently? I have a travel CPAP (medical device) that is for use on-board, and my mask fully covers my face and mouth. I've used it in the past on long haul flights (prior to 2020) without issue. I could see where an overzealous FA could say that it counts as a mask with a "vent" but I can assure you there is no way the filtered air leaving the CPAP is on the level of air blowing out of a surgical mask. Thought to see other experience for piece of mind. Being able to breathe properly while I sleep is important and not snoring like crazy would help the other passengers as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.