Abyssmal food on board

Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
I actually was very happy with the food on LHR-DFW last week. Surprisingly good.
Was the Ken-L-Ration or Alpo better tasting? I long for the days of Gaines Burgers.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bl-ord
Was the Ken-L-Ration or Alpo better tasting? I long for the days of Gaines Burgers.
haha (although I had to Google it).

The vegetarian order was Indian food. Paneer Tikka with Rice. And it was quite good.
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by carlosdca
On flights with separate business and first, I also wonder, who buys straight into "F"? (Particularly, AA F)
I've seen very small price differences between J and F many times, and on a few occasions I've actually seen F priced lower than J. Even when F is more expensive, for a long haul it's not necessarily difficult to justify a $250 or $500 price differential, especially if you're going to make good use of FFD and appreciate the F seat (and yes, I know many prefer the J seat for privacy).
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia
I've seen very small price differences between J and F many times, and on a few occasions I've actually seen F priced lower than J. Even when F is more expensive, for a long haul it's not necessarily difficult to justify a $250 or $500 price differential, especially if you're going to make good use of FFD and appreciate the F seat (and yes, I know many prefer the J seat for privacy).
I too have seen F priced almost the same as Jand in some cases F was indeed lower than J! This happened to me a few times actually, I booked F and thought it would be a system error or wouldnt go through but it worked. This has been both transcon and transatlantic

the AA site is quite glitchy sometimes though, other times Ive seen crazy rocket high fares for PE, as in 5x more than F
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
We don't fly for the food. We fly to get there.

When MrsDallas49er used to travel with me out of CDG, because we were monthly regulars, she would avoid the CDG AC like it was the plague, but leave the CX lounge with a "goody bag" of wontons, dumplings, soup, and other goodies, gladly prepared by staff, now all since fired.

Her 2nd to last flight on AA, (Jan 8, 2020) in J, the Grumpy Granny head FA, after the meal service was done, of which she had none except wine, refused to heat up her stuff from CX. She was told "our food is your food". When informed that more gracious FA's, in the past, had been more than happy to assist, and she would be happy to share with the crew, FA then came over to me (3 rows back on the other side) and said "Get your wife under control, or I'm telling the captain to put us down.". My reply, "After 30 years of marriage, good luck with that. In fact, let's you and I go get the Captain, over heating up egg rolls and Wontons." The Captain agreed with me, when he eventually came out of cockpit to go to the bathroom 45 minutes later.

DL gets her business now. 100%
madmanshoney likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 14, 2021 at 6:34 pm
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by VSLover
and bring back the button hole to the napkins while we're at it!
I flew MAD-DFW on Sunday and the main meal and pre arrival snack both were accompanied by the button hole napkins.

No slippers on this flight though my outbound DFW-LHR flight did have them. “Going for inconsistency and inconsistency is what we’re going for.”
Abidjan, VSLover and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I really don't understand this obsession with airline food, which hasn't been very good in decades. Most people sitting up front are doing it for free (upgrades), copay with miles, award or a cheap F fare. Think what a transcon in 1970 dollars would cost today-in coach.

Personally, I think it's sad the major airlines decided to go after market share and therefore compete with the bottom of the barrel. GM doesn't target Chevy owners for it's Cadillac line and if it did the Cadillac would soon be another Chevy.
Are you suggesting I wont get seat side carved roast beef or 8 ounces of filet mignon with a Bernaise sauce and limitless Krug and Grand Crux Bordeaux if most of the cabin is filled with people upgraded on $99 one way transcons? Considering that a good steakhouse meal is going to run that much or more anyway? THE NERVE! I SHALL HAVE TO WRITE MY MEMBER OF CONGRESS!

(Truthfully Mint on B6 seems to be doing OK. Of course they give free upg-oh, wait they dont.)
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
When you said this, did you realize the rest of us on this thread were walking behind you in interlocking circles?

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Going for inconsistency and inconsistency is what were going for.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:52 am

Some of yall are too stuck in AAs azz that dont realize how bad it isno one is obsessing with plane food, and just because you dont expect anything shouldnt mean someone should get crap when theyre flying F. Getting bad food in F and it being the same as J is terrible and cheap, period. No way of defending that logically. Wanting a decent meal experience on F does not mean youre obsessed with food or that you arent flying to get to your destination. People fly F for the inflight experience, whether youre the type who just sleeps, eats and entire meal or just chills around with a nice glass of champagne or drink.

No one is expecting Michelin star foodbut that equal of a nice presentation and food options with decent taste, yes.

AA is terrible with that. Their presentation is sloppy, service is hit or miss, wines are cheap and served in plastic cup still (I felt like someone gave me a cup of pee when my champagne came) and many of its loyal flyers have simply gotten used to crap. I recommend OP to fly a better airline next time, because unlike some posters here who think its not the case, other airline still provide decent meal options in J, with a much superior service and food/drink option in F.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:50 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by uanj
During the last 20 years the meal service has been degraded on the US3 while all three have improved their international business/first class seating. You would think by reading flyertalk that the US3 got it all wrong, that all people wanted was very good food since the people complaining here make no comments on the improved seats. I think the airlines actually got it right, most long haul passengers want to be able to sleep better more than they want excellent meals.
An improved seat and decent food are not mutually exclusive. Please forgive me for fantasizing that I could receive both.
uanj and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by NickRivas
Some of yall are too stuck in AAs azz that dont realize how bad it is
We all know how bad it is.
That's why instead of suggesting improvements for AA F (or complaining about it) on an internet forum, we simply accept AA F or what it is and vote with our wallet and fly a carrier that offers a true F product if that's what we want.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by wpcoe
An improved seat and decent food are not mutually exclusive. Please forgive me for fantasizing that I could receive both.
Totally agree. But as you read these forums you really see very little credit given to the improved premium seats but heaps of criticism on cheapened meal service. And you know, even SQ and CX are spending less on their business class meals. So we are all relegated to fantasizing. : )
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Not doubting your experience, but I flew IB twice transatlantic in July and recently just flew SEA-LHR on AAs 777 service, both in J.

We found the IB food to be Y-quality and the service indifferent on a tired soft product.

On the contrary, AAs service was top notch, the food was quite good, and the seat was roomy and in good condition. In fact, we wondered why weve been avoiding US carriers for international travel in recent years.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Not doubting your experience, but I flew IB twice transatlantic in July and recently just flew SEA-LHR on AAs 777 service, both in J.

We found the IB food to be Y-quality and the service indifferent on a tired soft product.

On the contrary, AAs service was top notch, the food was quite good, and the seat was roomy and in good condition. In fact, we wondered why weve been avoiding US carriers for international travel in recent years.
I don't think that folks were thinking about Iberia when they suggested that you avoid US carriers for international ones
FlyerBeek, wrp96 and gateH15 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by SamOF
I don't think that folks were thinking about Iberia when they suggested that you avoid US carriers for international ones
Yes, Iberia's had awful food in business for years (decades?). Subpar products abound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.