Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Showing up to check in with one person on pnr missing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Wondering how to best handle this situation. I've been flying for decades, but luckily this has never happened to me before. I have a 4 people booked for an AA flight (paid tickets, not that I would think that would matter) with non-refundable tickets. One person can't go on the trip now. There is a very small chance that she might be able to go at the last minute, but not likely. Am I going to have a problem if one person on the pnr doesn't check in?
Is it best to just show up with the 3 of us, and not even mention the other person?
Since it is non-refundable anyway, and there is still a small chance she could be able to go, I'd rather not try to change the reservation unless I have to.
Just want to make sure there is not a rule I am not aware of that could delay us at the airport.

Thanks very much
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Travlur
Wondering how to best handle this situation. I've been flying for decades, but luckily this has never happened to me before. I have a 4 people booked for an AA flight (paid tickets, not that I would think that would matter) with non-refundable tickets. One person can't go on the trip now. There is a very small chance that she might be able to go at the last minute, but not likely. Am I going to have a problem if one person on the pnr doesn't check in?
Is it best to just show up with the 3 of us, and not even mention the other person?
Since it is non-refundable anyway, and there is still a small chance she could be able to go, I'd rather not try to change the reservation unless I have to.
Just want to make sure there is not a rule I am not aware of that could delay us at the airport.

Thanks very much
There is no requirement for all pax on a single PNR to check in at the same time; so no, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks very much
I think it needs to be canceled in advance of the flight to get flight credit, but I could be wrong
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think it needs to be canceled in advance of the flight to get flight credit, but I could be wrong
I came to say similar. At least have the person cancel an hour or two before the flight. About 99 percent of AA flights (in my estimation with absolutely zero evidence!) are at least able to be converted into credit. So, the money on said person's case shouldn't be ENTIRELY a lost cause.
Travlur and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat

Thanks very much
Just have her split off into a separate PNR. A phone agent can do that easily.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
What is the reason for doing this?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
What is the reason for doing this?
If she isn't sure she will fly, it will allow her to manipulate her reservation and leave the others untouched.

Upthread it sounds like it wouldn't be an issue either way, but it would make me feel better making cancellations if the folks who are definitely going aren't on the same rez that gets cancelled last-minute.

Guess it depends on how confident you are with any random agent's competence...
Geordie405, Ilove2fly and Travlur like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
This is exactly what I'd do. The 4th person can then either show up at the last minute and fly, or can cancel at the last minute for a flight credit. It would also allow the three definite travelers to check in online without accidentally checking in passenger #4.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geordie405
This is exactly what I'd do. The 4th person can then either show up at the last minute and fly, or can cancel at the last minute for a flight credit. It would also allow the three definite travelers to check in online without accidentally checking in passenger #4.
or worse yet, the forth pax (or agent due to some misunderstanding) cancelling all reservations.. i'd definitely split pnr in advance
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:01 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Checking in doesn't change the ability to cancel for a 'refund' (credit), and it can still be done online.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:25 pm
Suspended

PNR can be split, can be done at check-in at airport but better for all parties involved if done in advance with a phone agent.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:07 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
In the past, I've been told "I can't check any of you in until you're all here". This was for an international itinerary where she needed to see the passports, which may be a different case.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by 1P
In the past, I've been told "I can't check any of you in until you're all here". This was for an international itinerary where she needed to see the passports, which may be a different case.
That had happened to me on international flight as well but that was a LONG time ago when they were manually checking the passports.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:27 am

Call AA and ask to split PNR. Agent won’t even ask for a reason. If the 4th person can’t fly ticket can be cancelled and converted into flight credit very last minute (I’d say prob 30 min before departure) and it can be done online. I would wait until very last minute to see if flight gets delayed. If significant delay happens I believe you can request a full refund
GrumpyYoungMan and Travlur like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the solid advice all, really appreciate it.
S80 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.